Feel I've wasted my money on my class 1!

hi guys, I’m a complete newbie (hence the name), and I’ve had the wind knocked from my sails with it all. I passed my class 1 on a wagon n drag, which i feel has got to be changed, as its nothing like an arctic at all. I got in with a chilled food company a few days later that took on new drivers, and i had a driving assessment, which i only just passed as the assessor was very understanding that I’ve never driven a conventional arctic before. There longer, and reverse completely different to a WnD. The next day i started with them with a driver trainer, and i was bricking it, i couldn’t reverse to save me life, and with all that and the tacho rules to learn aswell as the job to learn, i couldn’t bloody hack it, it really stressed me out, and people didn’t have much patience with me. I feel cheated out my money, feel like I’ve paid 1300 quid just for a plastic card. I could try n get a rigid job but I’m still guna cross this path, its like I’m a class 1 driver who doesn’t know how to drive an arctic!
Ive wrote to a few companies in lincolnshire explaining my situation, and one has come back with an interview this week, just hoping i can get the time to practice and get my confidence back.
Has anyone else on here had the same problem??

Don’t give up because teething problems are to be expected. Hang in there and you will mature with experience, just slow your expectations down a bit and take it one step at a time.

If you have only just started driving it’s going to be hard just take your time it will come right. Did your trainer not help?

Most W&D’s are actually longer. Your new so what do you expect.
Remember what it was like the 1st time out in the car on your tod the 1st time you got in a tight spot and had to work out how to do something. Learn to crawl then walk before you can run fella.
Just take it easy you’ll get there.
After all there’s drivers been doing it for years and still can’t go backwards :wink:

nick2008:
After all there’s drivers been doing it for years and still can’t go backwards :wink:

Yeah just do what I plan to do…keep beer tokens in your pockets for the drivers that are parked up, then ask them to do the backwards bit for you! :wink: :grimacing:

Ive been driving class 1 now nearly two month and i ■■■■ my reverse up still.keep a cool head and take your time.if you mess it up just start again

Michael Douglas:

nick2008:

Yeah just do what I plan to do…keep beer tokens in your pockets for the drivers that are parked up, then ask them to do the backwards bit for you! :wink: :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Call DFDS in Imminghman mate. I have literally just got off the phone with them and I’m going up on Thursday to see them. I only asked about Class 2 stuff but I’m sure they might have stuff for Class 1.

Sounds like you would benefit from a bit of tuition on a “real” artic. Many folks transfer from w&d to artic without too much stress. Sometimes it can be safer and more comfortable to learn the differences under supervision.

We offer this if you’re interested. Don’t let it get you down.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Its hard to start with for a reason, its when you get somewhere to reverse into and one day with practice you wont have to think about which way to turn the wheel you will without thinking.
Its the “see said I could do it feeling” when your straight on a bay every driver on here thought the same what the hell did I do my class 1 for its impossible BUT you can do it, you can drive a car and class 2 but keep at it and it will click.

Been driving class 1 long enough now to know I wouldn’t do anything else I love it even on crap days makes the struggles and worry when I started artics all the more worthwhile.

Another example why you train to get your licence on an artic and not a wag and drag.

Do not get sucked in with what some trainers say on here!

OMG! This one has been done to death so often!

This is why we offer the choice of w+d or artic. This way, the customer has the choice rather than having to work around the operational needs of the trainer.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

burnie1:
Another example why you train to get your licence on an artic and not a wag and drag.

Do not get sucked in with what some trainers say on here!

It’s better to get some lessons on an artic, especially for things like reversing and coupling as it is somewhat different. I actually took two sets of lessons (one on an artic and one on W&D) and passed on W&D. It’s a lot cheaper to pass on a W&D and have one or two extra lessons on an artic than to learn on an artic and have to take more lessons when you fail. It may be better to make sure they show you some real-world reversing manoeuvres with different angles (e.g. into a service station parking bay or a yard at a right-angle) rather than the parallel park you do on the test.

“double post”

I’ve been driving full time class 1 for over 38 years now and still flumoxed for a while when changing vehicle types, even when i’ve had 2 weeks holiday i come back to work to me regular motor and think Jeesus this bloody things long (the lorry that is… :smiling_imp: ).

Take your time, Rome wasn’t built in a day, it’ll come together gradually.

There is no easier or harder between artics and W/D’s, they both have their good and bad points for driving and manoeuvering.

One day when i’d been driving only a short while i cocked up a turn really badly in a town up round Middlesborough way, got all flustered and started to panic cos traffic was building up.

An old time driver strode over, and climbed up on the lorry step, calmly and softly put me right about where to go to avoiding making things worse, he took several minutes over this during which time he took not the slightest notice of the hooting and shouting, just gave me a smile told me to take no notice of the buggers and left me in a completely different mindset when he strode off…again not taking a blind bit of notice of anyone else.

His advice stayed with me all these years, getting flustered and panicking does no good at all, take your time, get out and have another look where you are and what you need to do, ten looks if needs be…and take no bloody notice of those who try to rush you.

I do the same run every night 99.9% of the time I’m on the bay in one last week took 2 shunts :unamused: I just missed me mark but ah well we cant all be perfict :wink:

Juddian:
I’ve been driving full time class 1 for over 38 years now and still flumoxed for a while when changing vehicle types, even when i’ve had 2 weeks holiday i come back to work to me regular motor and think Jeesus this bloody things long (the lorry that is… :smiling_imp: ).

Take your time, Rome wasn’t built in a day, it’ll come together gradually.

There is no easier or harder between artics and W/D’s, they both have their good and bad points for driving and manoeuvering.

One day when i’d been driving only a short while i cocked up a turn really badly in a town up round Middlesborough way, got all flustered and started to panic cos traffic was building up.

An old time driver strode over, and climbed up on the lorry step, calmly and softly put me right about where to go to avoiding making things worse, he took several minutes over this during which time he took not the slightest notice of the hooting and shouting, just gave me a smile told me to take no notice of the buggers and left me in a completely different mindset when he strode off…again not taking a blind bit of notice of anyone else.

His advice stayed with me all these years, getting flustered and panicking does no good at all, take your time, get out and have another look where you are and what you need to do, ten looks if needs be…and take no bloody notice of those who try to rush you.

One of the best posts I’ve ever seen on here!

Paul

curbrider:
I’m a complete newbie… I passed my class 1 on a wagon n drag, which i feel has got to be changed, as its nothing like an arctic at all. … i couldn’t reverse to save me life, and with all that and the tacho rules to learn aswell as the job to learn

See if you can join a yard shunter for free for a shift - but you have artic reversing virtually sorted out after that

As for tacho regs - a dcpc periodic course :bulb:

im new to it aswell and just started my training for c+e in an artic as didnt fancy w+d setup, im really enjoying it so hopefully pass my test but u seem to be getting very flustered over it, just chill out and take your time, who cares if you take extra shunts to get on, at least your trying and not sat at home on your arse

ive done 2 weeks on rigids with full loads and surprising how good most drivers are to you with help etc if you just ask

bigdavehull:
ive done 2 weeks on rigids with full loads and surprising how good most drivers are to you with help etc if you just ask

That’s the important bit, don’t pretend you know it all, if you’re struggling just ask one or two of the more approachable experienced drivers knocking about, most of 'em are only too glad to offer a bit of advice and help.