New Plate Season!

Who are the lucky ones who’ve been given a 68 plate motor? Any pics of new steeds? All the best with the new lorries, to those who have! :smiley:

Drempels:
Who are the lucky ones who’ve been given a 68 plate motor? Any pics of new steeds? All the best with the new lorries, to those who have! :smiley:

Lucky? Lucky to have a new truck depends on whether its a good new un or a bad new un ! New doesnt always mean better.

Said the curmudgeonly ole git.

Franglais:

Drempels:

Lucky? Lucky to have a new truck depends on whether its a good new un or a bad new un ! New doesnt always mean better.

I do agree with you, there are many older motors I’d have back! Just want to hear folk’s nice stories in amongst the everyday things :smiley:

Drempels:

Franglais:

Drempels:

I do agree with you, there are many older motors I’d have back! Just want to hear folk’s nice stories in amongst the everyday things :smiley:

Yeah , OK. Even a self confessed miserable sod like me does secretly like to hear of happy people. Just hope no-one in internetland gets to hear of it. :smiley:

Franglais:
Yeah , OK. Even a self confessed miserable sod like me does secretly like to hear of happy people. Just hope no-one in internetland gets to hear of it. :smiley:

Saved to the Cloud, the Interwebberboxnetonline, and sent to my mate Tony “ten ton” Gallanto in Miami, for safe keeping. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve told my lot I don’t want a new one if they are the same old ‘Poverty spec’ Actroses…what’s the point
All my kit, microwave, fridge, tv, inverter is fixed in my old one, and it’s a complete ballache to replace it all in an identical motor.
Now of it had been a new MAN/DAF/Scania/Volvo or in fact anything except a bloody Merc,.then not such a ballache after all.

robroy:
I’ve told my lot I don’t want a new one if they are the same old ‘Poverty spec’ Actroses…what’s the point
All my kit, microwave, fridge, tv, inverter is fixed in my old one, and it’s a complete ballache to replace it all in an identical motor.
Now of it had been a new MAN/DAF/Scania/Volvo or in fact anything except a bloody Merc,.then not such a ballache after all.

MAN? That’s probably the only make I’d shy away from (haven’t been in a new shape Renault), the last one I was in a few years ago was an awful thing.

Drempels:
MAN? That’s probably the only make I’d shy away from (haven’t been in a new shape Renault), the last one I was in a few years ago was an awful thing.

I was issued an 18 plate brand new MAN three weeks before the 68 plates came out. I went from a 64 plate Actros to it and can honestly say it’s been a total revelation. It’s a 500 so it pulls like a steam train and it seems to float over the pothole strewn roads we have to drive daily. My only gripes are an ad blue tank that is too small which means that I have to fill it each time I fill the fuel tank, and also the ridiculous Stoneridge Tacho, which in MAN’s defence is not a vehicle fault but rather an ancillary equipment fault.

the maoster:

Drempels:

I was issued an 18 plate brand new MAN three weeks before the 68 plates came out. I went from a 64 plate Actros to it and can honestly say it’s been a total revelation. It’s a 500 so it pulls like a steam train and it seems to float over the pothole strewn roads we have to drive daily. My only gripes are an ad blue tank that is too small which means that I have to fill it each time I fill the fuel tank, and also the ridiculous Stoneridge Tacho, which in MAN’s defence is not a vehicle fault but rather an ancillary equipment fault.

Maybe they’ve had a bit of a re-design in the last few years!

Design has ups and downs. Loved my 06 DAF. Hate my 2015 DAF. Apparently 17 onwards are good again.

Franglais:
Design has ups and downs. Loved my 06 DAF. Hate my 2015 DAF. Apparently 17 onwards are good again.

Sadly not. 64 plate seems to be the sweet spot. We’ve just replaced 64 plate with 18 plate and the eco mode ■■■■■■■■ and the fact they’re doing 1000 RPM at 56MPH is meaning the 64 plate 460s with 700k on the clock are climbing any hill faster than 18 plate 480s unless you take them out of eco mode. Then again doing Howden-Lockerbie-Howden at almost full weight the journey time is only an extra couple of minutes each way but the new trucks are using 20/30 litres less over a 580km run. Depending on the weight of the load on the way up and the wind we’d normally expect to use 180-200 litres and are now using 160-180 litres a night.

Conor:

Franglais:

Sadly not. 64 plate seems to be the sweet spot. We’ve just replaced 64 plate with 18 plate and the eco mode ■■■■■■■■ and the fact they’re doing 1000 RPM at 56MPH is meaning the 64 plate 460s with 700k on the clock are climbing any hill faster than 18 plate 480s unless you take them out of eco mode. Then again doing Howden-Lockerbie-Howden at almost full weight the journey time is only an extra couple of minutes each way but the new trucks are using 20/30 litres less over a 580km run. Depending on the weight of the load on the way up and the wind we’d normally expect to use 180-200 litres and are now using 160-180 litres a night.

Ive yet to drive one of the newer DAFs, but our other drivers are (mostly) happy with them. Having very few regular runs fuel use is difficult to gauge, but over several months my 15 is about three quarters of an mpg better than my 06. Eightnquarter up to about nine. Trip times slightly quicker in the newer truck. Old truck Id get out smiling, newer one I feel like kicking it. But Ive bored enough people ranting on about the thing, so Ill leave that there.

Drempels:

robroy:

MAN? That’s probably the only make I’d shy away from

I’ve had a few MANs manual.and autos since 52 plate, last one was the last of the pre face lift models but brand new then.
I loved them, loads space, storage, comfortable, and all the rest of it.
I was weekended a few times in previous jobs, excellent motors to live in. imo.

Think the last one I had, had a flat floor and all the drivers were raving about it.

I prefer a substantial engine hump.

Drempels:
Think the last one I had, had a flat floor and all the drivers were raving about it.

:open_mouth: …Why ? :neutral_face:

robroy:

Drempels:

robroy:

I’ve had a few MANs manual.and autos since 52 plate, last one was the last of the pre face lift models but brand new then.

We’ve had a load of 18 plate TGXs and the auto gearbox is a dream compared to older models and much better than the DAFs. Apparently it is basically the new Scania box though.

Will_161:

robroy:

Drempels:

robroy:

We’ve had a load of 18 plate TGXs and the auto gearbox is a dream compared to older models and much better than the DAFs. Apparently it is basically the new Scania box though.

My boss has gone back to MAN and will by end of the year got 7 new ones xxl cab 500
Replacing 3 Iveco sand 3 euro5 MAN

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robroy:

Drempels:

:open_mouth: …Why ? :neutral_face:

I like something to put stuff on and I like the feeling of sitting in a “cockpit” rather than up above a flat surface. I feel it gives a more seat of the pants drive, but it could all be in my head :laughing:

I only ever had two new trucks! I knocked the nearside mirror arm off of the first one on a low branch within the first half hour and ten and a half years later when they replaced it I had the next new one (with a narrower cab) and ripped the wheel trim off on the weighbridge first load as I was used to sitting further across in the cab so misjudged the width! :blush: My last two were already ten and twelve years old when I had them, one came from a breakers yard, I much happier with those. :wink:

I preffered an engine ‘hump’ level with the seats as well, much better for laying across for a kip during the day and putting the coffee mug on when sitting in traffic. :laughing:

Pete.

All our 66’s are going and 68 conning in over the next few weeks
We’ll have the usual ooh I gotta have a new truck :unamused: but don’t want to keep it clean :confused:
As as it goes forward and backward I don’t care

Happy days