M1 coming up to 60

On catchup channel 5 from Wednesday some nice old archive film

Happy birthday

I was on that motorway the 4th day it was opened in 1959…I was ten years old riding with my dad in his 1951 aec mammoth major eight wheel tipper max speed 35 mph it started at crich I think that’s junction 19 now ended down by Watford. there were no services no speed limits and all I can remember were the large number of broken down vehicles usually with pools of liquid under them . People were finding that a 1947 morris eight wouldn’t last long if driven at high speed for long periods.It certainly made my dads lorry seem obsolete but it soldiered on until 1964 when it was scrapped. We were hauling stone chips down to a company called constable hart on the north circular where hendon shopping centre stands today.

On that documentary it says how those services on the M1used to be places where people would just go to for a trip out/meal out they were that good. Now they are all pretty much the worst services in the country.

The first time I went in Newport pagnell with my dear departed daddy he got into a slanging match with the cashier because he had been charged 3 shilling for two teas and two small cakes which was extortionate at the time . By the standards of the transport cafes of the day these new facilities were very clean and well run.

The first time I went in Newport pagnell with my dear departed daddy he got into a slanging match with the cashier because he had been charged 3 shilling for two teas and two small cakes which was extortionate at the time . By the standards of the transport cafes of the day these new facilities were very clean and well run.

First sections of…

The autobhans were constructed in 1929.

yourhavingalarf:
First sections of…

The autobhans were constructed in 1929.

Only because they wanted to move tanks and artillery about quickly , forward planning !

berlin to warsaw.1 hitter,no messing.blitzkreig,job done… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
berlin to warsaw.1 hitter,no messing.blitzkreig,job done… :slight_smile:

I was running to Balystock when th only bit of dual was 28 km near Poznan, all the rest were slightly wider goat tracks …