Happy Birthday

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7764506.stm

yes happy birthday mr motorway. my dad has the claim to fame of being the first lorry on the southbound carrigeway from leeds.

Was your Dad a lorry?.

PMSL !!!

At least it settles the arguments I’ve had with young upstarts who claim the M1 was the 1st motorway. :laughing:

People think it was first becuase its number 1.

The reason the roads are n umbered as they are is quite clever actually.

The country was made in to zones like this.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/roadsfaq/img/azones.gif
The first junction on the A1 was the A10 (0 being the first junction), the first juinction on the A2 being the A20 etc etc, it only counts for main contributories!!!.

It goes back many years so it all lokks quite diferent noe and definately the M6 Preston By pass was the first motorway ever built the second was the M1.

I thought it was because the M1 ran parallel with the A1 - M3 ran parallel with the A3 - M6 ran parallel with A6 etc etc…

Happy birthday MR. Motorway!

jammymutt:
Was your Dad a lorry?.

PMSL !!!

if you knew him al you would realise that your not far wrong :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
I thought it was because the M1 ran parallel with the A1 - M3 ran parallel with the A3 - M6 ran parallel with A6 etc etc…

A5?

Whens the party■■?

jammymutt:

ROG:

A5?

Ah easy - someone got confused and took 3 from 8 = A38 - that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whats a motorway?

acceptme:
whats a motorway?

How did the 1st person to break down on the motorway summons help :question: (what a nice award), as dont think RAC had phones then nor were there any camera’s :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Highway Man did you attend the first break down as isn’t preston your area :question: :question: :wink: :exclamation: :laughing: :smiley: :sunglasses:

All the major trunk roads in Britain started off being numbered from London in a tangential system, starting with A1 then going clockwise around to A2, A3, A4 etc, the A10, A11, A12 & A13 were not designated as major & as they spur off before the A2 they were numbered with double digits starting with 1, almost A1.0, A1.1 etc, same for the A20, A21, A22, A23, A24 & the A30 & A31, the A40 & A41.

After that it went boss eyed a bit, the A25, A42, A50 etc etc etc .

Motorways followed the same principle at 1st, until the M5 & M6 & again it went wonky.

Hope that makes sense, it does to me but I am quite strange at times :wink: