Where was this then?

Nice summer’s day. A coach excursion out somewhere to do a bit of carriageway walking, have an ice-cream etc.

Using your driver’s cognitive skills - Where was this ?

( PS ~ I don’t even know myself! )

The opening of the M1.

1959 - M1
No central reservations
No barriers and no street lights
1958 Land Rover
1959 Ford Anglia 105E

Opening of the M1 might be a bit tight.

First part of the M1 opened on 2nd November 1959 … but the Mk2 Jag only started production in late 1959 so the dates are a bit neat.

Certainly very early piece of motorway. Probably more likely Carnforth bypass in 1960.

… but probably wrong! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Is that Harry…

In the foreground?

It’s the M6, here in colour :-

newslocker.com/en-uk/region/ … e-m6/view/

manski:

Well done manski. That looks right. I suppose it was still in the days when Motorways were regarded as a bit of a novelty and worth the trip out to go and see the opening ceremony!

yourhavingalarf:
Is that Harry…

In the foreground?

No. Wasn’t he driving the coach?

I’m sure they would have employed an experienced driver for the gig.
Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Turbovision:

manski:

Well done manski. That looks right. I suppose it was still in the days when Motorways were regarded as a bit of a novelty and worth the trip out to go and see the opening ceremony!

Back in the day coach operators used to run outings where you were driven on the motorway, had lunch at the services, and went home again.

There was also the fun of doing Birmingham - London on a Midland Red …and seeing if the driver would crack the ‘magic ton’.

This was just the start

theguardian.com/theguardian … rrier-1959

The later CM6 was a genuine 100 mph vehicle, with top gear being engaged at 86 mph. Few, if any cars of the time could keep up.

This made me laugh “But even allowing for twelve minutes’ puncture time, we were back in Birmingham in three hours and five minutes.” He was in the wrong job, taking into account the weight of the wheel and tyre that’s got to be F1 standard :laughing:

They did this the other week on the Aberdeen bypass, want to get the bloody thing open to vehicles instead of letting the local cyclists and dog walkers loose on it

chaversdad:
They did this the other week on the Aberdeen bypass, want to get the bloody thing open to vehicles instead of letting the local cyclists and dog walkers loose on it

and in the process the old trucks spilled oil and wrecked some of the tarmac, parts of it had to be planed and tarred again :blush: :blush: :blush: