A34 crash Sutton Scotney

I passed this going n/b today about 15:30 and it looked horrendous. They had the fences up but it was all on view at the rear for the decker to come in. Black Daf XF jackknifed and front end smashed and in front of that the remains of a white van that looks like a crushed can of pop :neutral_face: I saw a car which was imbedded in the trees.
I read one report saying it was an accident between a van and a car so Iā€™m wandering if the car and van have collided and the truck smashed into them unable to avoid them.
One fatality I read earlier as well. IMO itā€™s one of the worst roads in the country for accidents, too much traffic coming from Southampton towards the Midlands, really short on slip roads usually on bends, lay-bys on steep hills and too many pinch points. In a short distance around Oxford/Abingdon

Should be Motor way all the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A34 - Things I donā€™t like:

Rolling countryside,
forcourts that canā€™t take artics under the canopy,
7.5t ā€œpart time lane 2 restrictionā€ ā€¦ (Should be full time in my mind - stops elephant racing!)
Stationary traffic tailing back from off-slips
The only N-S trunk road for miles around
Suicidal Laybys
Downhills too steep to hold back fully-laden on the exhaust brake

Just before I went past this northbound I encountered a truck driver reverse parking into a space in a lay by blocking both northbound lanes of the A34 with traffic speeding towards him. Unbelievable. Iā€™ve never seen anyone pull that particular manouver. The standard of Truck driving seems to get worse daily

was stuck in tailback from accident s/b & still shut at apx 19.00 when I passed n/ b, there was a rearender just before the big accident closing lane 1 if I remember right as well

switchlogic:
Just before I went past this northbound I encountered a truck driver reverse parking into a space in a lay by blocking both northbound lanes of the A34 with traffic speeding towards him. Unbelievable. Iā€™ve never seen anyone pull that particular manouver. The standard of Truck driving seems to get worse daily

I pulled off J15 M1 at Northampton last week, and thereā€™s a big layby by the Hilton Hotel on the A45 dual-carriageway. Some chump couldnā€™t get in the layby, so he parked on the grass, but protuding into lane one by several feet for the entire length of his artic and I had to move partially into lane 2 to pass him safely. As anybody knows, thatā€™s a very busy stretch in rush hour. His curtains were drawn and his mirror pulled in, so I suppose he was on daily rest :unamused: Yes, he got a blast on the horn!

A34 A14 M2 M20, let alone all the other major routes now clogged with massive volumes of traffic, many of which theyā€™re busy papering over the cracks by making the hard shoulder a live traffic lane.

Funny innit. If they had dropped into any transport cafeā€¦
one two three or four decades ago, and said to any old lorry driver munching his egg and bacon that most localised industry (much of it in support of regional specilised factors, eg steel, car making) would close and our growth industry would be thousands of acres of warehousing which would be stuffed to the roof with Chinese and Indian made tat, and we would import a hell of a lot of our food by road, and the population of the country would be increased by hundreds of thousands of immigrants every yearā€¦
and asked ā€˜what oh working class chappie do you think would happen on the roadsā€™?
Said working class chappie could have told them exactly what would happen, any one of us could have told them that for example the midlands A14 route would be as busy as hell in a matter of weeks so make it three lanes from the start, and only a raving lunatic would have designed the M6/A14 junction via a single lane as it was for many years(and resulting deaths)ā€¦but as in so many things weā€™ve had decisions made by those who havenā€™t a bloody clue, not as that shows any signs of changing :unamused:

What did they think would happen?

Lorry driver from Huddersfield arrested for alleged drink and drug driving after fatal crash

examiner.co.uk/news/west-yo ā€¦ r3z-addoor

Winseer:

Rolling countryside,
7.5t ā€œpart time lane 2 restrictionā€ ā€¦ (Should be full time in my mind - stops elephant racing!)
Suicidal Laybys

Junctions with right angled slip roads instead of proper acceleration and deceleration lanes.

There are a few service stations that can take big trucks - Sutton Scotney, Tot Hill, Chieveley, Wendlebury - but none between the M4 and Oxford except that little filling station on the southbound side.

The whole thing needs an overhaul - hard shoulders, decent lay-bys, proper junctions especially the one with the A303. I actually find the A303-Newbury and M4-Abingdon stretches the most dangerous; the bit past Sutton Scotney is straight with no junctions for miles.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Juddian:
A34 A14 M2 M20, let alone all the other major routes now clogged with massive volumes of traffic, many of which theyā€™re busy papering over the cracks by making the hard shoulder a live traffic lane.

Funny innit. If they had dropped into any transport cafeā€¦
one two three or four decades ago, and said to any old lorry driver munching his egg and bacon that most localised industry (much of it in support of regional specilised factors, eg steel, car making) would close and our growth industry would be thousands of acres of warehousing which would be stuffed to the roof with Chinese and Indian made tat, and we would import a hell of a lot of our food by road, and the population of the country would be increased by hundreds of thousands of immigrants every yearā€¦
and asked ā€˜what oh working class chappie do you think would happen on the roadsā€™?
Said working class chappie could have told them exactly what would happen, any one of us could have told them that for example the midlands A14 route would be as busy as hell in a matter of weeks so make it three lanes from the start, and only a raving lunatic would have designed the M6/A14 junction via a single lane as it was for many years(and resulting deaths)ā€¦but as in so many things weā€™ve had decisions made by those who havenā€™t a bloody clue, not as that shows any signs of changing :unamused:

What did they think would happen?

I blame the Unions.

mbax81:
Lorry driver from Huddersfield arrested for alleged drink and drug driving after fatal crash

examiner.co.uk/news/west-yo ā€¦ r3z-addoor

Any sentence he receives will be too light in my opinion.

Winseer:

No it wonā€™t. Ive lost count of the amount of times that Iā€™ve been passed in those limits by drivers who think they are exempt from the law. Itā€™s the same on all the temporary timed limits. Drivers canā€™t be arsed waiting till the end of the limit to overtake because they can, or they are running empty or lighter than the slow moving vehicle at the front.

Making it a permanent restriction wonā€™t make one iota of difference.

I hate that lane two ban, why you should you stick behind Farmer Giles and his latest subsidised game of follow the yokel? Or a dawdling army convoy where they all stop when on of them breaks down?

madmackem:

Winseer:

No it wonā€™t. Ive lost count of the amount of times that Iā€™ve been passed in those limits by drivers who think they are exempt from the law. Itā€™s the same on all the temporary timed limits. Drivers canā€™t be arsed waiting till the end of the limit to overtake because they can, or they are running empty or lighter than the slow moving vehicle at the front.

It will if it is enforced properly instead of a sign how about a few cameras that send you a nice little fine through the post like bus lanes :-')ā– ā– 

switchlogic:

Traffic cop sees that and heā€™d be getting done with dangerous driving and rightly so.

switchlogic:

Had this on the A23 a few weeks back.
I pulled into layby and went to the end of the layby.
Iā€™m watching a video on my phone and hear a load of honking, a rigid had stopped in lane 1 and was reversing into the layby right in front of me, he had to go right up the verge and stopped about 6 inches from the front of my wagon, I was just about to sound my horn as I thought he was going to hit me.
At the end of my break I had to reverse up in order to get round him.
Sadly, I see crap driving from lorry drivers on a daily basis, including one today who just pulled out of a layby on the A13 straight in front of me, I nigh did a full on emergency stop to avoid hitting him, not an indicator in sight.

SouthEastCashew:

madmackem:

Winseer:

It will if it is enforced properly instead of a sign how about a few cameras that send you a nice little fine through the post like bus lanes :-')ā– ā– 

I agree that proper enforcement (cameras) is the only way to go about it. But the powers that be canā€™t be arsed doing anything, until something happens that is. Then watch the cameras go upā€¦

if youā€™re empty & running on the limiter I really canā€™t see the issue overtaking a fully loade waggon doing 30 mph , thatā€™s not what these overtaking bans are about , there about the x2 wagons running heavy struggling to overtake each other .
and I donā€™t think it works because as soon as the limit ends youā€™ve got 10 wagons jostling for position causing a dirty great tail back behind them which is what the overtaking ban is meant to stop
I remember years ago overtaking my mate on the m11 , he spent the next hour roaring his eyes out down the phone about breaking the law etc etc for no other reason than because he could only do 40 mph up the hill I had too roll:

IndigoJo:

Winseer:

Rolling countryside,
Suicidal Laybys

Junctions with right angled slip roads instead of proper acceleration and deceleration lanes.

There are a few service stations that can take big trucks - Sutton Scotney, Tot Hill, Chieveley, Wendlebury - but none between the M4 and Oxford except that little filling station on the southbound side.

The whole thing needs an overhaul - hard shoulders, decent lay-bys, proper junctions especially the one with the A303. I actually find the A303-Newbury and M4-Abingdon stretches the most dangerous; the bit past Sutton Scotney is straight with no junctions for miles.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Yeh. That junction with the A303 is rather disorientatingā€¦ It looks like youā€™ve gone on a slip road for the wrong direction, and in fact youā€™ve ended up almost going back on yourself to what your eyes might be telling youā€¦

Then thereā€™s the ā€œSlow Rollā€ dangerā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZ1TWGY0TI

Wow! How the hell did the army truck not go over on his/her left? [emoji54]