A34 today. Lucky fella

Northbound about half a mile north of the Milton interchange came across the bad accident where a MAN container truck very heavily rear ended a fully loaded 8 wheeler.

I was s’bound and suddenly saw smoke a few hundred yards ahead and when we went past the steam was still pouring from the front of the unit.

The container had sheared its pins and smashed into the back wall of the cab.

The impact had sprung the drivers door open and driver was immobile holding the steering wheel.

I really feared the worst for the guy, everything was such a mess.

But he’s in hospital with serous leg injuries so I guess given time he will make a good recovery.

Good luck, chap - I think someone was looking over you today.

Another driver on that stretch of road that is unable to see the slow moving traffic directly in front of him/her.

It’s all well and good blaming the road/hills, but ultimately, it’s the drivers that fail to see slow moving traffic in front of them.

I think it’s about time that the speed limits on this very dangerous road are brought down. I have used it and have always thought it as being a nightmare at certain times, namely rush hour periods. Being a main link from the Southampton/Portsmouth area to the Midlands and the North, many people use it.
Anywhere near busy junctions where there will most probably be a queue bring it down to 40 at least 1 mile away, these could be set to certain times, as I said rush hour periods. Same for the hilly parts, where you will have slow vehicles overtaking slower ones, where fast approaching drivers don’t see the hazard ahead again limit the speed limit AND put a ban on overtaking by any vehicle over 7.5t.
This road has always been hazardous, but recently seems to be a death trap. Something needs to be done by the authorities, BEFORE another family is wiped out.

Anyone know whos’ 8wheeler it was?
I don’t agree with reducing the speed limit, it is what it is a limit. It’s drivers inability to leave a safe distance that causes problems.
Drivers do suddenly anchor up between Milton and Marcham, because VOSA like to sit in that abandoned slip road near Drayton golf course, and flip flops like to kip out there with their trucks barely off the carriageway.

nowt wrong with the road…thousands of drivers safely negotiate it every day,and what’s the use of reducing the speed limit as no-one takes any notice :open_mouth:
last friday on the weigh limit section an artic come flying by me as i sat behind a slower truck :unamused:

Two idiots in Walkers of Beoley walking floor wagons nearly caused a crash Southbound this morning; One passed me and nearly had my mirror as he pulled in, then his mate had to cut in too, just so he could follow the first one. They then noticed the speed camera van on the A420 bridge so slowed below the 50 limit and as I moved out and re overtook them (doing dead on 50) I noticed they were chatting away on their cbs, clearly not paying attention. Knobheads.

carryfast-yeti:
nowt wrong with the road…thousands of drivers safely negotiate it every day,and what’s the use of reducing the speed limit as no-one takes any notice :open_mouth:
last friday on the weigh limit section an artic come flying by me as i sat behind a slower truck :unamused:

Well done you for being patient, shame there aren’t more of the same, like the one that overtook.
As for there being

nowt wrong with the road

tell that to the victims and near victims of recent accidents.
So maybe then, reduced limits with “enforcement cameras” could be the answer as a deterrent, I’m not saying that the whole stretch from the M3 to the M40 should be brought down to 50 or 40 , but you have to agree that certain stretches are horrendous. The authorities know where the bottle-necks occur, these are the places that need to be limited.

I know it caused chaos in Abingdon when it happened…

nowt wrong with the road

To those of us that have and do travel regularly up this ‘infamous’ road (or any other for that matter) some of us for near on 30 years unscathed, please tell what is exactly ‘wrong with the road’? Also, the A14 or the ‘old’ A45 or the M6 where there’s never a day goes by where there’s not a pile up. Remember that smash on the M4 near Swindon many years ago where everything burnt out and many died? What about the one on the M5 during the firework display in the field…again, many died. The 100 vehicle crash on M40 in Oxfordshire that claimed lives…the minibus full of school kids that hit the Highways motor, also on the M40 claiming lives…the list is endless. I won’t even mention the M25…how many lanes wider does that poxy road need to be? Is it the actual roads or the ‘drivers’ that are so incompetent at driving in a straight (ish) that use it because a; they’re tired and shouldn’t be ‘pushing on to get home’ b; they aren’t paying attention to what’s going on around them c; their foreigners and maybe (for a second or 2) forget they’re actually in the U.K. and drop a bollock or 3, d; rely on someone else’s brakelights, who he’s sat 10’ behind, who’s 10’ behind the one in front and so on? So roads or road users? It’s like saying ban guns & knives…they ain’t dangerous either…it’s the knobheads who get hold of them that are the danger.

(No offence intended to anybody who has lost or knows someone who has lost someone due to someone else’s actions)

Not wishing to prejudge the events but it seemed a possibility that the tipper was exiting a layby and the box jockey didn’t stand a chance.

Bit of a coincidence that the point of impact was adjacent to a layby and the traffic wasn’t heavy and was free flowing.

Pics were in yesterdays Oxford Mail.

Road was closed n’bound for 9 hours.