DR10

Hi all. Moving to Highlands and looking for job. I stupidly had a Drink Driving conviction 30 years ago. Does anyone know if this will stop them employing drivers or does anyone know if they do employ drivers with spent convictions licence wise. ie not showing on my licence anymore. Just don’t want to waste anybodys time if its a non starter. Thanks.

johnmacd:
Hi all. Moving to Highlands and looking for job and before I contact them was wondering if anyone has any experience with Fergusons Transport of Spean Bridge/Fort William. I noticed on their application form that they ask if you have any convictions for Drink/Drugs. They don’t ask when, why or how long ago. I stupidly had a Drink Driving conviction 30 years ago. Does anyone know if this will stop them employing drivers or does anyone know if they do employ drivers with spent convictions licence wise. ie not showing on my licence anymore. Just don’t want to waste anybodys time if its a non starter. Thanks.

Everybody has done things 30 yrs ago that they would not do today mate, it’s called ‘‘growing up’’.
When I think of some of the stuff I did when younger I am like a completely different person now.

I personally wouldn’t bother to tell them, the way I see it what happened 30 yrs ago has no bearing on your ability as an employee today, and has basically ■■■■ all to do with them… or anyone else.

robroy:

johnmacd:
Hi all. Moving to Highlands and looking for job and before I contact them was wondering if anyone has any experience with Fergusons Transport of Spean Bridge/Fort William. I noticed on their application form that they ask if you have any convictions for Drink/Drugs. They don’t ask when, why or how long ago. I stupidly had a Drink Driving conviction 30 years ago. Does anyone know if this will stop them employing drivers or does anyone know if they do employ drivers with spent convictions licence wise. ie not showing on my licence anymore. Just don’t want to waste anybodys time if its a non starter. Thanks.

Everybody has done things 30 yrs ago that they would not do today mate, it’s called ‘‘growing up’’.
When I think of some of the stuff I did when younger I am like a completely different person now.

I personally wouldn’t bother to tell them, the way I see it what happened 30 yrs ago has no bearing on your ability as an employee today, and has basically [zb] all to do with them… or anyone else.

Thanks RobRoy. This is on the bottom of the application form. I dont know how far back they can access your records or what they can access if they do but yeah, totally agree with you about what happened 30 years ago.

DECLARATION:
I UNDERSTAND THAT SUPPLYING ANY FALSE OR MISLEADING INFORMATION OR DELIBERATELY NOT PROVIDING
INFORMATION WILL DISQUALIFY ME FROM OR RENDER ME LIABLE TO DISMISSAL FROM EMPLOYMENT.
IT IS A REQUIREMENT FOR SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS TO ALLOW FERGUSON TRANSPORT & SHIPPING TO HAVE ACCESS TO
CERTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT YOU. WE WILL REQUIRE YOUR PERMISSION TO ACCESS YOUR RECORDS WITH DVLA
ALONG WITH CONTACTING YOUR REFERENCES

Don’t worry about the DD, it’s over 11years old so it’s classed as spent, doesn’t count, don’t even mention it.

Yeah. Typically I wouldnt have mentioned it but the clause as above on their application form makes me wonder if they can access that info and if they do thats the job Kaput.

Go to gov.uk/view-driving-licence and enter your details. Thats what they access so if it doesn’t appear on there then they cant.

Suspect they dont want people who’ve revently been done for drug offences or anyone with a DD on their licence, but they’ve copied and pasted this without thinking its not the right wording.

They should say no DD, IN and whatever the drugs code is.

As an employer, I really wouldn’t be worried about employing someone with a DD from 30 years ago.

johnmacd:
Thanks RobRoy. This is on the bottom of the application form. I dont know how far back they can access your records or what they can access if they do but yeah, totally agree with you about what happened 30 years ago.

DECLARATION:
I UNDERSTAND THAT SUPPLYING ANY FALSE OR MISLEADING INFORMATION OR DELIBERATELY NOT PROVIDING
INFORMATION WILL DISQUALIFY ME FROM OR RENDER ME LIABLE TO DISMISSAL FROM EMPLOYMENT.
IT IS A REQUIREMENT FOR SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS TO ALLOW FERGUSON TRANSPORT & SHIPPING TO HAVE ACCESS TO
CERTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT YOU. WE WILL REQUIRE YOUR PERMISSION TO ACCESS YOUR RECORDS WITH DVLA
ALONG WITH CONTACTING YOUR REFERENCES

If you get do a start with them, and they dig in your records after a couple of months or so of starting and pull you up on it, I would be saying ‘‘Judge me on my last few weeks of employment as a responsible adult, not on something that I done as a young lad’’
Even murderers get a second chance ffs. :bulb:
I would just go for it mate.
As for Fergys,.I have been in their yard at Corpach in the past, they seem a well organised outfit, with good kit, with a lot of older drivers that have been there for donkey’s.

I had to have a full police check against the criminal police database which is much more in depth than a CRB check. I had to give out all of my info which included an assault charge a drink drive charge and a few other bad sounding violent offences, the point being that these were from 30 years ago and had no convictions since. I had a bit of a past in my youth but had grown up since. I was told that if I had not given the information of past convictions and it was picked up from the database that I would not have passed it. As I had told the truth and not hidden any convictions it went in my favour and I still got the job. I wouldn’t worry over your past conviction providing that the past 10 years are clear.

Cheers guys. Much appreciated. As pointed out, have just checked the Gov.uk info site on my licence and it does not show at all so it must only be current endorsements that show. All it says on mine is 0 Penalty Points.
This is what it says for future ref for anyone.

Other people, like insurers and employers, may be able to find out that you have the endorsement:
any time during a 4-year endorsement
during the first 5 years of an 11-year endorsement, or the first 30 months if you’re under 18

Great Forum this. Thanks again one and all.

You’ve no requirement to declare it. Its called the rehabilitation of offenders act or something like that.

Fergusons run good gear, absolutely by the book.
They have a lot of flat work, so quite a lot of roping and sheeting, and quite varied work.
Talking to their drivers, the pay is competitive in the area, and there is usually all the hours you want to do.
Driver retention however, seems to be a major problem. As someone else has said there is a small core of long serving drivers, which you find at most firms, but outside of that the turnover seems massive.
Something must be wrong, and you’ll soon find out if you start with them.
If you do move into the area, you will have absolutely no problem finding driving work. Nearly every firm of any size round about has trucks parked because they have no drivers.
You’ll never know until you go!!

Oh and if johnmacd is your real name i would ask to get this thread terminated asap :wink:

even Fort William has internet :laughing:

johnmacd:
I stupidly had a Drink Driving conviction 30 years ago. Does anyone know if this will stop them employing drivers or does anyone know if they do employ drivers with spent convictions licence wise. ie not showing on my licence anymore. Just don’t want to waste anybodys time if its a non starter. Thanks.

You do not need to declare the conviction. It is now well and truly statute barred under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and it would not show up in a normal CRB check. There can be no ramifications for you not declaring it because you are legally no longer required to.

Tooz:
Oh and if johnmacd is your real name i would ask to get this thread terminated asap :wink:

even Fort William has internet :laughing:

Yep!

UKtramp:
I had to have a full police check against the criminal police database which is much more in depth than a CRB check. I had to give out all of my info which included an assault charge a drink drive charge and a few other bad sounding violent offences, the point being that these were from 30 years ago and had no convictions since. I had a bit of a past in my youth but had grown up since. I was told that if I had not given the information of past convictions and it was picked up from the database that I would not have passed it. As I had told the truth and not hidden any convictions it went in my favour and I still got the job. I wouldn’t worry over your past conviction providing that the past 10 years are clear.

Who tf were you applying to work for the CIA? :open_mouth:

If I had to jump through hoops that much to get a job driving a ■■■■ truck I would tell them to ram it sideways. :unamused:

robroy:

johnmacd:

I personally wouldn’t bother to tell them, the way I see it what happened 30 yrs ago has no bearing on your ability as an employee today, and has basically [zb] all to do with them… or anyone else.

+1

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

robroy:

UKtramp:

Who tf were you applying to work for the CIA? :open_mouth:

If I had to jump through hoops that much to get a job driving a [zb] truck I would tell them to ram it sideways. :unamused:

It was only for contracting to the the police rob but you had to deal with the general public and handle some pretty sensitive stuff through SOCO. It was their requirement. I only had to fill in their form but it is a LV2 check which goes back to the year dot, all spent convictions had to be notified. Not as exciting as MI6 but same level checks!!