Night out allowance

Conor:

Freight Dog:

Conor:

Freight Dog:
HMRC are doing it everywhere. Taxing subsistence to the hilt. They have a new hard on for it.

No, HMRC are merely applying the same rules to haulage that they’ve applied to everyone else. If you want someone to blame then look at all the “self employed” drivers and the ■■■■ taking they’ve been doing. They’re the reason the flat VAT rates got changed.

That is not right on both areas. It is as I said. The cull is currently happening in other areas of transport, not just road.

Yeah actually it is right. In any other non-truck driving non transport job you have to provide proof of an expense before you can claim subsistence allowance. We are merely being brought into line with everyone else.

Your first response inferred everyone else away from road haulage already has to submit receipts for substance allowance. Just not true. I’m not saying some places or sectors you don’t have to submit receipts, however haulage is not the “last man standing”. I can point to at least one other area outside of haulage where recipt submitting was not standard.

You’re perhaps thinking of people paying via tax return. I’ve contracted and used returns, and now work again under PAYE. Declaring income via tax return, you keep receipts. You also file the return as you know.

I have friends working for companies away from the HMRC radar that are Paye, and still have their tax light subsistence allowance intact. They do not have to submit receipts and have never had to submit receipts.

Until last year I didn’t have to submit receipts, Unfortunately I work for of the largest firms in the sector who are being used as a “trial”. Whilst this is in going we have been instructed to submit receipts. It looks like we will have to submit receipts until a second judgement is made on our tax allowance in subsistence. When it is expected to be removed altogether.

As I was saying in my first post, haulage ain’t the only one and isn’t the “last man standing”.