Night out allowance taxed

Was just wondering, the company I work for I get taxed on my nights out, I have a couple of mates who work for another company and they do not get taxed on theirs, they get it back cash in hand, any reason why some companies tax it and others do not?

You need to tell us how much you are paid as night out allowance?

If it’s over the HMRC threshold then you will pay tax on the difference

Last time I looked the threshold was £26.20 but someone will be along in a minute to tell me I am wrong no doubt

Because your boss and pay department are lazy Zb and can’t or wont process receipts or proof of night out and ripping you off :imp: :imp: :imp:

I just need a £5 receipt and I get my night out money and the £5 back all tax free , no receipt = taxed night out

Night out pay is £25 so below the threshold if that is the case. As for receipts we have none to give as we park up anywhere we can but not on services

Lewy:
Night out pay is £25 so below the threshold if that is the case. As for receipts we have none to give as we park up anywhere we can but not on services

So you don’t stop to buy lunch or breakfast some where or stop to get supplies some where :wink:

I take a couple of days worth of food with me which is prepared at home before I go

Lewy:
I take a couple of days worth of food with me which is prepared at home before I go

by doing that - ie looking after yourself and watching what you eat your being disadvantaged . Stop for a KFC or a Big Mac ( other heart attacts on a plate are available ) and get a receit and youll get the money back . If you stop for some shopping at a supermarket during the week when your away - get a receipt and hand it in .

beefy4605:

Lewy:

by doing that - ie looking after yourself and watching what you eat your being disadvantaged . Stop for a KFC or a Big Mac ( other heart attacts on a plate are available ) and get a receit and youll get the money back . If you stop for some shopping at a supermarket during the week when your away - get a receipt and hand it in .

why need proof of night out if company can tracking and saving night out location???Any day or night driver can stop somewhere during shift and buy something and after can claim night out money■■?

When I first started…

As a drivers mate (all those years ago) I was given the option of getting cash for the nights away I was going to have. The drivers told me at the time it was the law.

Monday morning if I was going away for two nights, I’d go to the office and they’d pay me my night out money in pound notes there and then.

I am a newbie to all this hence asking the question, our nights out are paid with our wages each month, we hand our time sheets in each week then each month we get our wage slip with our salary and nights out obviously taxed etc on it

Are you sure that your NO payment is being taxed? If you fill in your details on this site thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ you can see what tax is actually due.

I’m a no stay away from home guy, not even one night. But i’ve been on this forum now for sometime to see and read this type of thread, and I’m still waiting for someone to link to the law, or HMRC rules in black and white.

Lewy:
Was just wondering, the company I work for I get taxed on my nights out, I have a couple of mates who work for another company and they do not get taxed on theirs, they get it back cash in hand, any reason why some companies tax it and others do not?

Your employer should apply for a bespoke scale rate approval to pay the industry rate, this can be done online at:
gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66210

They will also need a checking system in place, drivers should get receipts of some kind for evening meals/breakfasts/stuff they buy for food /oh bugger it any dodgy receipt will do, get creative.
Photo evidence time/date stamped is also acceptable if no receipt can be obtained.

Due to the increased company cost of employers NI contributions as well as the employee’s increased tax and NI now incurred, they also need to sack or at the very least strongly discipline the lazy bugger who’s job it is at your company to look into this stuff, I personally recommend a dry ■■■■■■■, other disciplinary techniques are available.

Last place I worked for was small manufacturing company. 3 wagons. Was 25 a night on a Friday used see woman in the office used just sign bit paper saying and was given £100 cash in hand used 20 fill car up for the week bought shopping etc. Didn’t really need to take much out my bank account.
Where I am now it’s 25 a night tax free don’t ask for receipts or anything

tommymanc:
I’m a no stay away from home guy, not even one night. But i’ve been on this forum now for sometime to see and read this type of thread, and I’m still waiting for someone to link to the law, or HMRC rules in black and white.

What like this one from the HMRC Click here. Google, as usual, is your friend. :wink:

tommymanc:

Here goes again
gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66110

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66130