Night out money.

Evening all, does anybody else’s employer ask for receipts for night out money, I have been told today from April all our night out money has to be justified via receipts and if We don’t get a receipt we have to give the difference in the money back? We only get £22 a night, I don’t do many nights out in the wagon ( maybe 20 a year ) but do stay in hotels regular about a week a month on average. They are trying to make out this is going to be nationalised. Anyone heard this or company pulling a fast one?

Afaik it’s not a requirement to have receipts, sounds like your co penny pinching.

Just put a receipt in for £22 for “sleeping in a tin can guarding your lorry” :grimacing:

I would say someone is pulling your leg. Your £22 night money is yours for sleeping in the cab.
Maybe they are on about getting a receipt for parking.
I don’t do nights out with my mob, but I’ve heard the tampers say that they only get parking money back. Company won’t pay for a meal or shower voucher if you pay for it with your parking. They have to hand in receipts for parking.

We fill in a declaration for HMRC, to the effect that our night out money is to compensate for expenses incurred whilst being g away from base. It does mention that any money not spend should be returned. But as we don’t have to supply receipts… :grimacing:

If we ever have to supply receipts, it gets time to reconsider my chosen career. Mind you, if you think about it, this has never been an issue, until agencies stirred the ■■■■ pot with their fcaking umbrella schemes… :imp:

damoq:
I would say someone is pulling your leg. Your £22 night money is yours for sleeping in the cab.
I don’t do nights out with my mob, but I’ve heard the tampers say that they only get parking money back. Company won’t pay for a meal or shower voucher if you pay for it with your parking. They have to hand in receipts for parking.

Defoe not a wind up, I met with the boss today. Paid parking as normal, they just want receipts to say you have used your money. Baffling.

mr lordi:

damoq:

Defoe not a wind up, I met with the boss today. Paid parking as normal, they just want receipts to say you have used your money. Baffling.

You’ve slept in your cab. How does he expect you provide a receipt for that?

Seems to me they can’t lose, get there money back if you don’t spend it, if you do spend it they will claim the vat back :imp:

It’s time for you and your co workers to stick together and say “thanks but no thanks, from now on we will NOT be nighting out”. Simple fix.

I thought we had it tough getting £25 a night and not getting parking paid so stay in industrial estates, anywhere free etc

I would just write him out a receipt. If he does not accept that then tell them you no longer do nights.

Tell your boss you’ll give receipts if they give you the money upfront :wink:

blue estate:
Tell your boss you’ll give receipts if they give you the money upfront :wink:

That’s the point, they do and always have given your money up front, now they are saying it’s like a loan and if you don’t spend it you have to return it. I’m not a big drinker and not fussed about meals out when in hotels, I also find it hard to spend if in the sevices or an industrial estate, so in essence I’ll be nightingale out for nothing. Time to move on I think.

I have a better idea, don’t sleep in the tin can doing them a favour of being the unpaid night watchman, they can pay for the hotel instead whatever it costs, just how valued employees who don’t drive lorries for a living get treated…remember lots of car transporter drivers never used to cab it, hotels paid for, high time we dragged lorry driving into the modern world.

Its either that, no nights out, or cheerio.

Do you work for a big corporate firm ?

What a load of tosh you have a night out lets say in a lay by and get your cooker out and do some soup and go to bed where the hell do you get a receipt from ?

blue estate:

No just a small company employing about 20 lads, I’m the only hgv Driver.

bjd:
What a load of tosh you have a night out lets say in a lay by and get your cooker out and do some soup and go to bed where the hell do you get a receipt from ? it may be that you get paid upfront as the normal is to be paid in your wages the week after

mr lordi:

blue estate:

Should be in a good position to say no then.

mrginge:

mr lordi:

blue estate:

Should be in a good position to say no then.

They will get in outside contractors if I say no I would imagine, outsiders do what work I can’t, pound daft, penny wise. That’s what I’ll end up doing.

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/nimmanual/nim05684.htm

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66110

So if you are in the cab then 75% of the second link applies, currently at £26.17

If you get paid more then 26.17, the following link applies for authorisation required:

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66115