Night out money.

bjd:

bjd:
What a load of tosh you have a night out lets say in a lay by and get your cooker out and do some soup and go to bed where the hell do you get a receipt from ? it may be that you get paid upfront as the normal is to be paid in your wages the week after

Same here ! we put night out on time sheet and see money in following weeks pay slip

wheelnutt:
NIM05684 - Class 1 NICs: Expenses and allowances: Lorry drivers - subsistence allowances - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66110

so if the N/Out payment is within the agreed rate no receipt but if its above its a business expense hence a receipt would be required

bjd:

wheelnutt:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/nimmanual/nim05684.htm

so if the N/Out payment is within the agreed rate no receipt but if its above its a business expense hence a receipt would be required

In a nutshell yes (or prior blanket approval):

Only if the payment exceeds 75% of the agreed rate, I was in the process of editing my post, you posted the question before I finished, have a re read of the above. cleared it up. With appropriate links this time.

wheelnutt:

bjd:

wheelnutt:

Only if the payment exceeds 75% of the agreed rate, I was in the process of editing my post, you posted the question before I finished, have a re read of the above. cleared it up. With appropriate links this time.

Helpful and knowledgeable as always Wheelnutt cheers

So let’s look at the rules from HMRC.

Sleeper cabs

Drivers now regularly use sleeper cabs in preference to alternative accommodation when away from home. However, they still receive a general overnight subsistence payment. This payment is intended to cover the cost of

an evening meal and breakfast
washing facilities
upkeep of bedding in the cab.

And the rates for this are £34.90 and if sleeping in the cab then 75% is payable free from tax and NI (£26.18).

Parking is a business expense not a driver expense, best bet is to run until you run out of time, park it up and get a taxi to a hotel. Nice shower and breakfast in the morning along with a taxi back to your cab. It should last around 3 days before they send out a Romanian to take over from you.

wheelnutt:

bjd:

wheelnutt:
NIM05684 - Class 1 NICs: Expenses and allowances: Lorry drivers - subsistence allowances - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

In a nutshell yes (or prior blanket approval):

Thanks, useful information.

How come we only get close on 75% of the 75% figure :open_mouth:

red7jase:

Time to knock on your gaffers door, he may not have adjusted it for years.

They can pay you £50 but it’s the tax free element that the rules apply to.

wheelnutt:

So if you are in the cab then 75% of the second link applies, currently at £26.17

If you get paid more then 26.17, the following link applies for authorisation required:

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66115

There’s also your evening meal money, and miscellaneous expenses money. The employer can pay about £33 in total tax-free.

You don’t need to produce receipts to be paid overnight subsistence up to £26.18 per night. As far as I’m aware, there are no plans to change this.

As an aside, I once worked for an exhibition company which paid a £50 per diem, but this was dependent on producing receipts. We used to go to a McDonalds every Friday and get £250’s worth of receipts out of the bins (this was in the days when they did give till receipts) and submit them. One day I got a call from the company accountant who said “I’ve noticed that you don’t seem to eat anything all week and then eat a couple of hundred hamburgers every Friday”. :stuck_out_tongue:

mr lordi:
Evening all, does anybody else’s employer ask for receipts for night out money, I have been told today from April all our night out money has to be justified via receipts and if We don’t get a receipt we have to give the difference in the money back? We only get £22 a night, I don’t do many nights out in the wagon ( maybe 20 a year ) but do stay in hotels regular about a week a month on average. They are trying to make out this is going to be nationalised. Anyone heard this or company pulling a fast one?

You say you’re the only HGV driver and when away you and the others mostly stay in hotels.

I assume the company gives you a cash float at the beginning of the week. So I think for them to claim it as expenses they’d need receipts, or It might have that they’ve giving you a day rate to pay for out of pocket expenses for being away (Meals etc) I assume they’re not expecting you to find accommodation at £22 per night and now the tax man has said they need to produce receipts to claim it or it becomes part of your pay.

I quite often stay in hotels and all my meals and other expenses are paid, but I have to produce receipts after each trip and an itemised expense sheet. I can get away with a few non receipted expenses, but can’t take the ■■■■.

I believe the tax free night out money for drivers is an agreement between the industry and the HMRC, not sure if this extends to other industries.

For the few nights you do in the cab, I’d ask if you can claim them as night out expenses at the agreed rate, or ask for a pay rise to compensate.

muckles:

mr lordi:
Evening all, does anybody else’s employer ask for receipts for night out money, I have been told today from April all our night out money has to be justified via receipts and if We don’t get a receipt we have to give the difference in the money back? We only get £22 a night, I don’t do many nights out in the wagon ( maybe 20 a year ) but do stay in hotels regular about a week a month on average. They are trying to make out this is going to be nationalised. Anyone heard this or company pulling a fast one?

You say you’re the only HGV driver and when away you and the others mostly stay in hotels.

I assume the company gives you a cash float at the beginning of the week. So I think for them to claim it as expenses they’d need receipts, or It might have that they’ve giving you a day rate to pay for out of pocket expenses for being away (Meals etc) I assume they’re not expecting you to find accommodation at £22 per night and now the tax man has said they need to produce receipts to claim it or it becomes part of your pay.

I quite often stay in hotels and all my meals and other expenses are paid, but I have to produce receipts after each trip and an itemised expense sheet. I can get away with a few non receipted expenses, but can’t take the ■■■■.

I believe the tax free night out money for drivers is an agreement between the industry and the HMRC, not sure if this extends to other industries.

For the few nights you do in the cab, I’d ask if you can claim them as night out expenses at the agreed rate, or ask for a pay rise to compensate.

Thanks Muckles, yes basically we are in hotels unless I’m in the wagon, they break down our payment as follows, £11 meal allowance, £7 breakfast and £5 miscellaneous expenses, they have asked for receipts for the meal and breakfast allowance. We get paid the week before we go away into our wages, no cash, all accommodation is paid in advance by them. I’m not sure whether they are just doing this to claim back vat on our receipts or if they have been instructed by hmrc, either way I don’t see why I should be forced to go out eating and drinking, something I don’t normally do.

Harry Monk:
You don’t need to produce receipts to be paid overnight subsistence up to £26.18 per night. As far as I’m aware, there are no plans to change this.

As an aside, I once worked for an exhibition company which paid a £50 per diem, but this was dependent on producing receipts. We used to go to a McDonalds every Friday and get £250’s worth of receipts out of the bins (this was in the days when they did give till receipts) and submit them. One day I got a call from the company accountant who said “I’ve noticed that you don’t seem to eat anything all week and then eat a couple of hundred hamburgers every Friday”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, is there anywhere that states you don’t have to produce receipts?

Not sure if other industries have the same sort of agreement as there is for haulage and night out expenses, might be worth checking.

mr lordi:

muckles:

Thanks Muckles, yes basically we are in hotels unless I’m in the wagon, they break down our payment as follows, £11 meal allowance, £7 breakfast and £5 miscellaneous expenses, they have asked for receipts for the meal and breakfast allowance. We get paid the week before we go away into our wages, no cash, all accommodation is paid in advance by them. I’m not sure whether they are just doing this to claim back vat on our receipts or if they have been instructed by hmrc, either way I don’t see why I should be forced to go out eating and drinking, something I don’t normally do.

Doesn’t that add up to £23? :smiley:

As Harry said you might have to learn the art of fiddling your expenses. :wink:

muckles:

mr lordi:

muckles:

I quite often stay in hotels and all my meals and other expenses are paid, but I have to produce receipts after each trip and an itemised expense sheet. I can get away with a few non receipted expenses, but can’t take the ■■■■■

Doesn’t that add up to £23

As Harry said you might have to learn the art of fiddling your expenses. :wink:

Ha ha, sorry that’s a typo error, it should say £6 for breakfast.

I get £25 night out & £50 for 2. But then I get £80 for three, and £120 if four. I drive for a small company who appreciate my willingness to do the mileage and sleep in the cab during the week.

mr lordi:

How can you get a receipt sleeping in a box,a receipt for stopping in a hotel /motel if the total is more than what your paid,don`t forget non sleeper allowance is higher than £22.
Look on the net at night out allowances,as you might be being done down by your Company

wheelnutt:

red7jase:

Time to knock on your gaffers door, he may not have adjusted it for years.

I only night out occasionally and when it suits me for whatever reason. Not really my place to go knocking on doors as I’ve only been there 4 months. I’ll leave it to the night out guys :unamused: