Common sense policing goes out the window?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -Hull.html

Foreign tourist driving at 40 in a 70 during the early hours gets a tug off the police. She ends up in the cells because she can’t pay the £100 on the spot fine.

I’m reminded of that YouTube vid from the 70s where the coppers give out “advice” in their own way and wonder how they would have dealt with her.

Simply further evidence that the police are little more than revenue raisers now. No wondere they’re losing the public’s support.

EDIT. Sorry double post.

“Wandering from lane to lane” and 40 in the outside lane seem pretty unsafe to me. The driver didnt argue that, she admitted being "confused". Action should have been taken for safety of herself and for others. "Common sense policing" wouldnt do nothing. At first, being unaware whether or not its a foreign tourist, any competent copper would get em over and probably get a breathalyser out? Then what?
Was there a language/translation problem? What sort of “conversation” at the roadside? What was the fine for?

“The police showed no mercy” Or I made a fuss and I wasnt let off my fine`?

Bizarre bit of “journalism” I`d say.

If you go over to France and commit a motoring offence they’ll march you to a cash point, same in pretty much most of Europe so why shouldn’t the same apply here?

Police acted correctly and did show common sense IMO the stupid bint should not behind the wheel if she doesn’t know how to drive, and as for i speaky no English or i no understand she had studied in Sheffield so was trying it on, and it backfired , they question is would they of let you off? no, is the likely result, although if you where of Islamic appearance they probably would let you off they are common purpose police,
As for them holding her in a police cell until the court hearing, which is what they should always do if you do not have an address in the uk and do not have the means to pay at the time, otherwise these offenders would just leave the uk and not return

If we get caught by the German plod speeding or overtaking when we shouldn’t they expect the money there and then and will park you up and take your passport and paperwork until you do pay, if you was a tourist and said you couldn’t pay, i very much doubt they would let you go with a ticket, never to be seen again

Captain Caveman 76:
Chinese tourist is jailed for driving too slowly in Hull | Daily Mail Online

Foreign tourist driving at 40 in a 70 during the early hours gets a tug off the police. She ends up in the cells because she can’t pay the £100 on the spot fine.

I’m reminded of that YouTube vid from the 70s where the coppers give out “advice” in their own way and wonder how they would have dealt with her.

Simply further evidence that the police are little more than revenue raisers now. No wondere they’re losing the public’s support.

‘Tourist’ eh? She definitely wasn’t on her way to cover a shift at Wongs in Hull town centre then.

Wish they’d been around on my way home from work.
Some grandad doing 30 down a 60mph road and braking hard for every slight curve and every time a vehicle came past the other way. For 3 miles.
Bloody infuriating.

U mean Dozy got home on a Friday [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was insured, she wasn’t ■■■■■■ and it was a hire car. We don’t have vagrancy laws in Hull

Dumfries and Galloway police will also sling you in the cells if the courts are closed, if they catch you exceeding 60mph in a truck on the A75, under is a fixed penalty, my 1 and only speeding ticket was for 58mph on the 75 in the 90s.

Isnt it 30mph minimum on UK D/C’s / Motorways? maybe its changed but sure it used to be…

AndrewG:
Isnt it 30mph minimum on UK D/C’s / Motorways? maybe its changed but sure it used to be…

Unless there’s one shown there is no minimum speed limit on UK roads.

tachograph:

AndrewG:

:astonished: i thought there was a minimum speed on m/ways. remember the signs they used to have on m/way entries…No motorcycles under 50cc,No invalid carriages etc etc

carryfast-yeti:

tachograph:

AndrewG:

:astonished: i thought there was a minimum speed on m/ways. remember the signs they used to have on m/way entries…No motorcycles under 50cc,No invalid carriages etc etc

No blanket law as such, Im sure Tachograph is correct. I seem to remember a heavy-haulage outfit (Econofreight?) ending up in court for obstruction: Driving slowly on the M1 in rush hour, several years back? I think it was thrown out as the move was correctly advised and approved etc beforehand. I wouldnt have wanted to drive through that patch afterwards though!

There are very few minimum speed limits on UK roads, possibly in Tunnels, they don’t like invalid carriages and mopeds because they are so light

If there was then Alleys Heavy haulage and the like would be nicked everytime they went up a hill on the M1 with 100 ton of locomotive on the trailer!

carryfast-yeti:

There used to be signs saying that if your vehicle wasn’t capable of doing 50MPH it was banned along with that list you’ve mentioned. Last one of those signs I ever saw was at Goole, its now long since gone. You’re not imagining it.

Conor:

carryfast-yeti:

There used to be signs saying that if your vehicle wasn’t capable of doing 50MPH it was banned along with that list you’ve mentioned. Last one of those signs I ever saw was at Goole, its now long since gone. You’re not imagining it.

I’m sure there’s on on Oxford eastern bypass. Slip road filters off to the left whilst the main carriageway is raised up and over a roundabout. Been a while since I’ve been that way so could be mistaken as to its location.

he that is without sin among you, first cast a stone at her. john 8.7

hotel magnum:
he that is without sin among you, first cast a stone at her. john 8.7

Well thats it then. Because I had a parking ticket in 1967, I cant point a finger at the tax dodging, paedaphiliac, murdering MP next door then. Let`s just let it go ,eh?