Brave new world!

northants.police.uk/news/no … 9dtk7NDwgI

Cycle cam leads to motorists prosecution. Apparently they “calculated” his speed in order to achieve a prosecution. It wasnt recorded on a calibrated device. It wasnt witnessed by police officers. It was calculated. How fast was the cyclist going? What was the frame rate of the camera? How can they be sure the footage wasnt tampered with?
This is dangerous territory.

“When people see a marked police car they tend to drive carefully and behave, but we know members of the public see bad and dangerous driving all the time.”

This bit especially made me laugh. Put some bloody stripes on all their stealth cars and dissuade people from driving like dicks in the first place. But we all know the reason why not. Road safety comes a distant second to raising money.

He needs a good brief to get this thrown out of court, otherwise this will set a precedent and every ■■■■ self appointed policeman type of prick will be out like Robocop on a Raleigh.
We’ll no doubt get the ‘‘He was obviously speeding’’ comments off the usual suspects :unamused: , but it does not matter a ■■■■ if he was speeding or not, it’s up to the Police to catch offenders, not some fanny armed with a head cam. :smiling_imp:

it part of boriss new plans to recruite me police. give public the power works out cheaper

Tbh whilst I don’t agree with it watching the footage he was certainly way in excess of the 30mph limit, so it’s justified for a conviction. It wasn’t a case of being a little over the limit he was driving like a ■■■■■

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Flawed logic there,if it is logic,that it’s upto the police,what’s the point of the 999 or 101 number then
Seems fair enough bloke thinks it’s ok to break the law,gets caught,anyone doing that speed in a 30 zone deserves it,not like it was a few mph over,sends a message that you can’t behave any way you like,as long as the cops aren’t about

simcor:
Tbh whilst I don’t agree with it watching the footage he was certainly way in excess of the 30mph limit, so it’s justified for a conviction. It wasn’t a case of being a little over the limit he was driving like a [zb].

Yep agree he was clearly driving like a complete ■■■■■ but as others said it’s dangerous ground letting any body send in clips and I don’t like where this is heading

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

drover:

simcor:
Tbh whilst I don’t agree with it watching the footage he was certainly way in excess of the 30mph limit, so it’s justified for a conviction. It wasn’t a case of being a little over the limit he was driving like a [zb].

Yep agree he was clearly driving like a complete [zb], but as others said it’s dangerous ground letting any body send in clips and I don’t like where this is heading

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Yep, we’ll just wait for the old ‘‘Why should anybody object as long as they’re doing nothing wrong’’ chestnut to arrive. :unamused:
As I said whether he was speeding or not is irrelevant, if you want to catch offenders, join the ■■■■ Police force.

The offender were doing in excess of 90MPH in a 30MPH residential area.

Typical TNET response , the cyclist is in the wrong for wearing a head cam and filming a motorist breaking the law.

The forum which keeps on giving…

90 in a 30? Deserves all he gets.
I dont care if idiots get caught by radar, gatso, or a geek with a calculator. All the above are safer than a high speed chase, by the way. I dont care if the person holding the speed gun is a copper or not.
The offence is speeding, if youre caught, youre caught.

Oh, and if you do nowt wrong, you have nowt to fear. (Unlike anyone near that idiot in the video)
Happy Christmas RobRoy!

Franglais:
I dont care if idiots get caught by radar, gatso, or a geek with a calculator. All the above are safer than a high speed chase, by the way. I dont care if the person holding the speed gun is a copper or not.

Oh, and if you do nowt wrong, you have nowt to fear. (Unlike anyone near that idiot in the video)
Happy Christmas RobRoy!

I fully get what you’re saying, and if I’m honest part of me agrees with you, the guy was a ■■■■, I’ve got wife kids and grandkids myself ffs, who I continuously worry about when they’re out on the roads amongst that type of knob…trust me on that.

However this is the thin end of the wedge, a bad alternative to proper traffic enforcement, and a bad precedent to set.
The answer is better Policing of the roads :bulb: , (ok even more gatsos in 30mph towns and villages) but…

NOT the job of some prat like our friend on this forum with the Old Bill on speed dial. (who has already commented on this thread :unamused: )

NOT a couple of coffin Dodgers like Reg and Doris sat at the side of the verge on their deck chairs in the sun '‘policing the highways’ in their own minds.

NOT some self righteous Alan Partridge type without a girlfriend patrolling the roads in his Mondeo, and creating situations on his dashcam.

NOT some lycra clad Bradley Wiggins lookalike on his ■■■■ bike…

IT’S THE JOB OF THE POLICE !!!. :bulb:

Do you get my point or not?
I’m all for catching idiots on the roads, I hate em ffs, …but all this is doing is making way to giving every type of the lower echelons of humanity carte blanche to act like Clint Eastwood with a camera. :bulb: :bulb:
Not a good way by any means to make our roads safer.

Oh yeh…Happy Christmas to you too mate. :laughing: :laughing:

I go with you Robroy up to a point but that ■■■■■■■■ was clearly taking the ■■■■. If he’d have come past me like that in a residential area I’d be inclined to report him too.

nomiS36:
I go with you Robroy up to a point but that [zb] was clearly taking the ■■■■. If he’d have come past me like that in a residential area I’d be inclined to report him too.

You miss my point, if you wanted to report him for the severity of his irresponsible driving that’s up to you.
What I’m saying is the types of people who will take up this thing as a pass time and a hobby, will now get self perceived licence to film you for the least minor misdemeanor :bulb: …and at every opportunity,
Ok the Old Bill will just love that, more convictions, more wonga, it makes them look good on paper, easier life for them so they can concentrate on their crime numbers, and catch us all drinking coffee :unamused: … but it is not the right way of doing things is it?.., especially with the amount of dangerous ‘created scenarios’ we see on dashcam footage, (which we as drivers could all find ourselves on the wrong end of)…
Again It’s the TYPE of people who will love being let loose doing all this type of stuff, THAT is where the main problem lies.

Am I banging my swede against a brick wall here or what :smiley: , surely somebody agrees with me, :unamused: :laughing:

robroy:

nomiS36:
I go with you Robroy up to a point but that [zb] was clearly taking the ■■■■. If he’d have come past me like that in a residential area I’d be inclined to report him too.

You miss my point, if you wanted to report him for the severity of his irresponsible driving that’s up to you.
What I’m saying is the types of people who will take up this thing as a pass time and a hobby, will now get self perceived licence to film you for the least minor misdemeanor :bulb: …and at every opportunity,
Ok the Old Bill will just love that, more convictions, more wonga, it makes them look good on paper, easier life for them so they can concentrate on their crime numbers, and catch us all drinking coffee :unamused: … but it is not the right way of doing things is it?.., especially with the amount of dangerous ‘created scenarios’ we see on dashcam footage, (which we as drivers could all find ourselves on the wrong end of)…
Again It’s the TYPE of people who will love being let loose doing all this type of stuff, THAT is where the main problem lies.

Am I banging my swede against a brick wall here or what :smiley: , surely somebody agrees with me, :unamused: :laughing:

Totally with you, I don’t see what’s hard to understand.

Had the grass called the pigs and reported it and then they had caught the guy doing something he shouldn’t then yes, fair enough.

To be convicted through a not calibrated, regulated or any way official video sent in by some random, nah that’s all wrong. The thin end of a very thick wedge.

Not too long ago we separated ourselves with a BFO wall from the Stasi, now look at us, we’re their ■■■■■■■■■.

The problem with members of the public doing the Police’s job is that the people who control the ■■■■■ strings see this as justification for their incessant cutbacks to police budgets, every (however well meaning) member of the public doing this sort of thing is driving yet another nail into the coffin of police numbers.

I’m no police apologist but I accept that in an increasingly lawless society we need more boots on the ground, not less. I do not accept that the police need more powers, indeed there’s very good arguments that they have too many powers, but what they do need are the tools and numbers required to actually enforce the laws that we have.

While the head cam is not calibrated the road markings are it would be possible to get an accurate speed from them. The car driver should be prosecuted for sixty mph as he was clearly taking the tizer.

Who is to say the speed rating on the video has not been enhanced a little ? If the police want to catch ■■■■■■■■■ on the road they should get out on the road and do it the proper way not rely on some dashcam warrior

chester:
The offender were doing in excess of 90MPH in a 30MPH residential area.

Typical TNET response , the cyclist is in the wrong for wearing a head cam and filming a motorist breaking the law.

The forum which keeps on giving…

Where’s the proof it was in a 30 limit? There were no speed limit signs visible and no streetlights. Where’s the proof he was doing 90? Theres no recording of his actual speed. Who edited the video to show rear then front views? The cyclist? If so then the video has already been edited, what else could they have done?

Yes, hes driving like a ■■■■, but prosecutions based on presumed evidence are dangerous.

Franglais:

Happy Christmas RobRoy!

Jesus this conflicts me, on one hand the twonk was doing 90mph, (if we believe the prosecution) but regardless it doesn’t take much to work out he hadn’t accidentally slip a bit over 30mph, so totally agree with him getting done for it.

On the other hand, phrases like “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear” strike me as a society heading towards a tyrannical future, where governments are given carte blanche to check up on our everyday lives, whilst the populous believes its being done for their best interests. So does the population of a country acting as informants for the government, today motoring offences, tomorrow? Maybe I’ve just read too many dystopian novels? :wink:

muckles:

Franglais:

Happy Christmas RobRoy!

Jesus this conflicts me, on one hand the twonk was doing 90mph, (if we believe the prosecution) but regardless it doesn’t take much to work out he hadn’t accidentally slip a bit over 30mph, so totally agree with him getting done for it.

On the other hand, phrases like “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear” strike me as a society heading towards a tyrannical future, where governments are given carte blanche to check up on our everyday lives, whilst the populous believes its being done for their best interests. So does the population of a country acting as informants for the government, today motoring offences, tomorrow? Maybe I’ve just read too many dystopian novels? :wink:

Where this is an extreme case, it is easier to say justified prosecution. 5mph over a 40? Nah.
But dont we become police` in other circumstances, too? Seeing a mugger taking a bag from an old lady, would we really say “Leave it for the cops”?

TheUncaringCowboy:
called the pigs and reported it and then they had caught the guy doing something he shouldn’t then yes, fair enough

It would be a nastier world if we didnt take the law seriously in some circumstances. . All a matter of degree, isnt it?
It is a messy life we all lead, with fuzzy edges, and grey areas, and we should always ask questions about where we are going, but this case has no sympathy from me.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

Happy Christmas RobRoy!

Where this is an extreme case, it is easier to say justified prosecution. 5mph over a 40? Nah.
But dont we become police` in other circumstances, too? Seeing a mugger taking a bag from an old lady, would we really say “Leave it for the cops”?

TheUncaringCowboy:
called the pigs and reported it and then they had caught the guy doing something he shouldn’t then yes, fair enough

It would be a nastier world if we didnt take the law seriously in some circumstances. . All a matter of degree, isnt it?
It is a messy life we all lead, with fuzzy edges, and grey areas, and we should always ask questions about where we are going, but this case has no sympathy from me.

Agreed all gets very messy, what do you report? do you go out everyday equipped to spot crime, even looking for that crime to report or do you go ahead with your normal life, but if you see a crime in progress then you take action?

And that was my point, no problem in this case, but we must question the motives of our government, its agents and the motivation of those who report offences.