Brave new world!

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
90 in a 30? Deserves all he gets.
I dont care if idiots get caught by radar, gatso, or a geek with a calculator. All the above are safer than a high speed chase, by the way. I dont care if the person holding the speed gun is a copper or not.
The offence is speeding, if youre caught, youre caught.

Oh, and if you do nowt wrong, you have nowt to fear. (Unlike anyone near that idiot in the video)
Happy Christmas RobRoy!

Jesus this conflicts me, on one hand the twonk was doing 90mph, (if we believe the prosecution) but regardless it doesn’t take much to work out he hadn’t accidentally slip a bit over 30mph, so totally agree with him getting done for it.

On the other hand, phrases like “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear” strike me as a society heading towards a tyrannical future, where governments are given carte blanche to check up on our everyday lives, whilst the populous believes its being done for their best interests. So does the population of a country acting as informants for the government, today motoring offences, tomorrow? Maybe I’ve just read too many dystopian novels? :wink:

Where this is an extreme case, it is easier to say justified prosecution. 5mph over a 40? Nah.
But dont we become police` in other circumstances, too? Seeing a mugger taking a bag from an old lady, would we really say “Leave it for the cops”?

TheUncaringCowboy:
called the pigs and reported it and then they had caught the guy doing something he shouldn’t then yes, fair enough

It would be a nastier world if we didnt take the law seriously in some circumstances. . All a matter of degree, isnt it?
It is a messy life we all lead, with fuzzy edges, and grey areas, and we should always ask questions about where we are going, but this case has no sympathy from me.

Agreed all gets very messy, what do you report? do you go out everyday equipped to spot crime, even looking for that crime to report or do you go ahead with your normal life, but if you see a crime in progress then you take action?

And that was my point, no problem in this case, but we must question the motives of our government, its agents and the motivation of those who report offences.

OK. Agree so far.
I`m also with Maoster in wanting more of my monies being spent on official policing.

But if I was living in a road with regular speeding idiots, would I really expect a patrol car parked there permanently? A fixed camera, so locals speed along, slam on brakes and accelerate away?
Those who take offence at being caught by a Granny with a speed gun are missing the point: (here it comes RR!) if you dont speed, you dont get caught! Call it an old chestnut if you want. We arent talking about perjury or prosecuting for 1mph. I cant see that the courts would wear that. Citizens cleaning up their own neighbourhoods, not relying on expensive cops who only show up hours later? What is so bad with that?
I might become one of those citizens who actually do something about it, rather than do nowt except moan.
Because some of them are drama queens wanting 1mph over to be a hanging offence, doesn`t mean they all are.
There is a need for oversight, there is a need for common sense, yes.

Watch a dram on bbc called THE CAPTURE.

As soon as i see anyone with a dashcam doing 28mph in a 30 i get right on there ringpiece and sit a foot away just so i can get famous on youtube.

As for cyclists the should be made to use pathways. They dont pay to be on the roads like us drivers.

Quite funny how all those saying about people shouldn’t be handing in video evidence to the police would probably be the first asking their neighbours for their CCTV if their house got broken into or their car stolen off their drive. Same as those morons on the trucking facebook groups who bang on about people being grasses yet if they’re ever the victim they’re there posting on facebook asking for witnesses and hoping people will grass on those who did it.

For all those saying the cyclist shouldn’t have sent it to the police if anything happens to you remember it would be the height of hypocrisy for you to ask someone to do the same to help you out.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
All a matter of degree, isn`t it?
It is a messy life we all lead, with fuzzy edges, and grey areas, and we should always ask questions about where we are going, but this case has no sympathy from me.

Agreed all gets very messy, what do you report? do you go out everyday equipped to spot crime, even looking for that crime to report or do you go ahead with your normal life, but if you see a crime in progress then you take action?

And that was my point, no problem in this case, but we must question the motives of our government, its agents and the motivation of those who report offences.

OK. Agree so far.
I`m also with Maoster in wanting more of my monies being spent on official policing.

But if I was living in a road with regular speeding idiots, would I really expect a patrol car parked there permanently? A fixed camera, so locals speed along, slam on brakes and accelerate away?
Those who take offence at being caught by a Granny with a speed gun are missing the point: (here it comes RR!) if you dont speed, you dont get caught! Call it an old chestnut if you want. We arent talking about perjury or prosecuting for 1mph. I cant see that the courts would wear that. Citizens cleaning up their own neighbourhoods, not relying on expensive cops who only show up hours later? What is so bad with that?
I might become one of those citizens who actually do something about it, rather than do nowt except moan.
Because some of them are drama queens wanting 1mph over to be a hanging offence, doesn`t mean they all are.
There is a need for oversight, there is a need for common sense, yes.

I don’t actually disagree with what you’ve written, all in favour of the community looking after its own, dealing with anti-social or illegal activities and that includes speeding, but we must question it and not let ourselves get led down some route and end up where we don’t want to be and find there is now way out, except by major civil disobedience with all the risks that involves.
We must also question the use of organisations like Community Speed Watch, are they being used for the community to assist the police or are they being used as an excuse to cut police numbers?
Maybe had more people questioned our politicians over the last few decades, instead of accepting the spin given to them by a partisan media, we might not be in the situation we find ourselves in on many issues.

@conor. That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it…but.
There’s a world of difference between a camera outside of a house for personal security purposes and for recording any potential crime that will adversely affect them (or their neighbour) than some ■■■■ busy body on a power trip with the sole purpose of recording something random that has the far end of f.all to do with them, and informing the Police for the hell of it, or for something to pass the time in their empty lives.

And I ain’t on Facebook so I can not comment on your other point.

There are rules governing what you can and can’t do with CCTV on your own private property

gov.uk/government/publicati … r-property

so why is it so different if you are wobbling around on a bike with a camera stuck to your head?

This little turd sends video to the police all the time .

youtube.com/user/CycleGaz/videos

And get drivers prosecuted .

Conor:
Quite funny how all those saying about people shouldn’t be handing in video evidence to the police would probably be the first asking their neighbours for their CCTV if their house got broken into or their car stolen off their drive.

Conor:
For all those saying the cyclist shouldn’t have sent it to the police if anything happens to you remember it would be the height of hypocrisy for you to ask someone to do the same to help you out.

Would you like me to explain the difference?

Im a member of a couple of groups on FB about bad drivers and 90% of the time its obvious most people who submit footage cant tell the difference between bad driving and someone making a genuine mistake.
What is also common is for the “offended” party to be totally oblivious to their own bad driving in the very videos they uploaded.
Ive said it before and i’ll say it again. Once they open the door for the general public to send in their footage they’ll be inundated with hours and hours of non events which someone wants “revenge” for (for want of a better word) and anything that is actually actionable will be lost in the mountain of clips where nothing actually happened to warrant police action.

Densely Denzil Masawi guilty as charged [emoji23]

Guilty of exceeding 30mph

My worry is the growing amount of residential speed controls operated by parish councillors, retired estate agents and 2 doctors receptionists doing their nails. It’s bad enough the PCSO are classed as proper plod now. A dangerous step backward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Densely Denzil Masawi guilty as charged [emoji23]

Guilty of exceeding 30mph

My worry is the growing amount of residential speed controls operated by parish councillors, retired estate agents and 2 doctors receptionists doing their nails. It’s bad enough the PCSO are classed as proper plod now. A dangerous step backward.

So, do you want to be policed, and judged by your fellow citizens, or by a separate class of persons?
Are the judiciary of us, and for us?
Or are they our rulers? 21
Serious question.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If my accusers are from the police force I have no issue. I don’t want a private police force, I don’t want vigilante gangs and stings. We have the best police force and the judicial system is envied everywhere.

I feel it’s a slippery slope when private videos that can be corrupted are used as evidence.

I’ve no sympathy whatsoever for this guy driving at those speeds on a public road, Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Wheel Nut:
If my accusers are from the police force I have no issue. I don’t want a private police force, I don’t want vigilante gangs and stings. We have the best police force and the judicial system is envied everywhere.

I feel it’s a slippery slope when private videos that can be corrupted are used as evidence.

So you’re happy that those who are paid to catch people are involved: i.e. those with a financial interest in protecting their jobs.
But not happy about those who report possible crime from a purely non-commercial position?

Remember, those who decide whether or not to prosecute are the CPS.
And those who decide innocence/guilt and sentencing are Magistrates, Juries, and Judges.

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

So you’re happy that those who are paid to catch people are involved: i.e. those with a financial interest in protecting their jobs.
But not happy about those who report possible crime from a purely non-commercial position?

And those who decide innocence/guilt and sentencing are Magistrates, Juries, and Judges.

So you’re comparing the CPS, qualified judges, and magistrates, with those lycra clad prats with headcams, and nasally sounding busy bodies with no lives in the same breath eh?..seriously? :laughing:

Ok there may be a tenuous link with juries, but at least they are of an official capacity.

Nite Owl:

chester:
The offender were doing in excess of 90MPH in a 30MPH residential area.

Typical TNET response , the cyclist is in the wrong for wearing a head cam and filming a motorist breaking the law.

The forum which keeps on giving…

Where’s the proof it was in a 30 limit? There were no speed limit signs visible and no streetlights. Where’s the proof he was doing 90? Theres no recording of his actual speed. Who edited the video to show rear then front views? The cyclist? If so then the video has already been edited, what else could they have done?

Yes, hes driving like a ■■■■, but prosecutions based on presumed evidence are dangerous.

Start by looking at the road markings perhaps

chester:

Nite Owl:

chester:

Typical TNET response , the cyclist is in the wrong for wearing a head cam and filming a motorist breaking the law.

Where’s the proof it was in a 30 limit? There were no speed limit signs visible and no streetlights. Where’s the proof he was doing 90? Theres no recording of his actual speed. Who edited the video to show rear then front views? The cyclist? If so then the video has already been edited, what else could they have done?

Yes, hes driving like a ■■■■, but prosecutions based on presumed evidence are dangerous.

It’s called self policing and when you have that or accept that then you have people like yourself coming out of the wood work thinking they are better than anyone and then you become one like yourself
It’s people trying to do there job no more no less we all travel a bit over if only these cyclists had training in how to follow the rules of the Road the world would be a better place, never stopping at traffic lights, never giving way to the right, thinking they have right of way in all circumstances
Half of them deserve what comes to them why because it’s promoted that they are invincible which we all know is crap

robroy:

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

So you’re comparing the CPS, qualified judges, and magistrates, with those lycra clad prats with headcams, and nasally sounding busy bodies with no lives in the same breath eh?..seriously? [emoji38]

Ok there may be a tenuous link with juries, but at least they are of an official capacity.

No, I’m not comparing cyclists with anyone.
I’m saying evidence, however it is obtained, is examined by professionals before it goes to court. The CPS etc, will filter out the 1mph over in a 30mpn cases. The process to decide guilt/innocence remains the same whether police or civilians provide videos evidence.

Bigtruck3:

chester:

Nite Owl:

chester:

It’s called self policing and when you have that or accept that then you have people like yourself coming out of the wood work thinking they are better than anyone and then you become one like yourself
It’s people trying to do there job no more no less we all travel a bit over if only these cyclists had training in how to follow the rules of the Road the world would be a better place, never stopping at traffic lights, never giving way to the right, thinking they have right of way in all circumstances
Half of them deserve what comes to them why because it’s promoted that they are invincible which we all know is crap

“Self polocing” may mean you taking the keys off your mate who has had one too many pints on a night out, before he gets in his car.
Not such a bad thing is it?

No one here is defending bad road use by cyclists or others. No need to set up straw men.

Is it still the case that Police officers will invite “The Accused” to condemn themselves out of their own mouths when confronting them over various pulloverable alleged offences?

Angry Police Officer.jpg

“Do you know why I stopped you sir?”

“Nope”.

“Did you see me at all Sir?”

“I did see that you were overtaking me to pull me over on that hairpin bend officer… Had to hit the brakes hard, lest you come a cropper on the wrong side of the road going around that blind corner I did…”

“So you’re not admitting to driving without due care and attention then?”

"As I said - I don’t know why you stopped me officer…"

“Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do you anyway?”

"Well, all this, including this conversation taking place with you right now outside my car, which you insisted I stepped out of - is all on that dashcam over there <points to HD camera mounted on car windscreen, window wound down allowing full audio…" :smiling_imp:

“Just mind how you go Sir… G’night.”

@Franglais.
You appear to approve of these guys who get a hard on if they happen to ‘‘catch’’ a motorist or truck driver doing something wrong on their cameras that they have deliberately purchased to pursue their new hobby of ‘Traffic Marshalling’'…

Me personally ?., I freely admit to hating them, and hope that they end up in hospital whilst pursuing their new hobby of snooping as a pastime , or better still when their purposely self created traffic scenarios go wrong and not according to plan. :smiling_imp:

Don’t know about you Franglais, but I ain’t perfect (yep I know, it’s hard to believe is that :smiley: ) so there has been the odd time or two when maybe I’ve made a stupid move or two in my car, maybe been ■■■■■■ off by somebody in my truck and showed a bit of aggression, maybe even a couple of road rage incidents when I was younger and a lot less tolerant, I’m human, I’m fallible.

So all these past incidents have ended up being minor non events, and everybody just got on with their day.
But… if I’d have had some little sh pointing a camera at me, for no other reason than to ‘‘gain evidence’’ as you say :unamused: , even though it had nothing to do with him, then I reckon my road rage/speeding/minor driving offences would more than likely escalate to ABH. :smiling_imp: (at least he would have got his way and I would have been locked up, but maybe not the way he planned it eh?

So what about you Franglais, are you perfect?
I’m sure you’ve been susceptible to the odd unwise move on the roads like the rest of us, so if you had been Mr Trafficmarshall’s latest example, …
What would it be?

Would it be…
‘‘Fair cop guvnor/banged to rights’’ by your ‘gained evidence’’

Or would it be.

‘‘Who tf was that little 2hat with the camera, I want to ram it up his arse’’.

Just asking. :neutral_face: