Manual entry mistake has given me an infringement

I made a mistake this morning on my manual entry and I’ve basically given myself an infringement.

Yesterday I was at work and worked 5am - 2.30pm.

This morning I started work ( clocked in) at 5am but didn’t get into the wagon and insert my tachograph card until 5.25am. Instead of doing a manual entry to show I started at 5am ( so ending daily rest at 5am and show other work until 5.25am) I actually put it until other work until 5am.

So according to my card I started work at 5am yesterday have been at work until 5am today! Then of course I started today’s duty and finished work at 2.30pm which is 33 and a half hours without a daily rest.

I have done a print out and explained it was a manual entry error but is this a WTD infringement? The office lady said it showed as exceeding daily working time.

This is my first ever infringement so how long until it disappears from my card? How much would a fine be etc etc.

I have done everything legally and had my daily rest but made a booboo on the manual entry [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dont sweat it. Calm yourself and stop panicing

Print out and write explanation on it. No dvsa bod is going to have expected you to do all those hours working.

Depending on how much you use your card itll drop off in a few months or so

The important thing is, stop worrying. Its hardly a shooting offence and will result in nothing

^^^^ This.

It would be perfectly obvious to any DVSA examiner that you have simply made a data input error. There wouldn’t be a fine. If it helps to put your mind at ease, do a printout and write some ■■■■■■■■ on the back.

Ironically I always used to make a manual entry on the back of the paper charts recording my daily rest period and never once in all those years ever got the entry mixed up.But ‘if’ I had have done I guess that I’d have re drawn it along the correct line and made a signed comment explaining the mistake just as I did in the case of the numerous times over the years that I’d forgot to change the mode switch between driving and/or duty and/or break.While in those cases any infringement along those lines was also noted as a mode switch error during analysis.

Which leaves the question how do you make a manual entry explaining a mode switch error or an incorrect manual entry in the case of a digi tacho as having never used one I wouldn’t have a clue just as I wouldn’t even know how to make a manual entry using a digi tacho at all.But that will be your answer if/when you find out. :bulb: :wink: Bearing in mind if you know how to make a manual entry then how difficult can it be to make another one to correct a previous one. :confused:

Wouldn’t worry about it… There are people who don’t do manual entries ever, and there still alive.

4yorks:
I made a mistake this morning on my manual entry and I’ve basically given myself an infringement.

This is my first ever infringement so how long until it disappears from my card? How much would a fine be etc etc.

I have done everything legally and had my daily rest but made a booboo on the manual entry [emoji30]

:open_mouth: OMG mate,…not a boo boo on your manual entry . :open_mouth: :open_mouth: That IS bad.
Get the family together, leave home immeadiately, change all your identities, new passports etc, leave the UK, and lie low until the heat dies off!! :bulb:

Or.

You could just forget about it, as it aint that important.
Don’t believe the hype…They don’t own you bud. :bulb:
:smiley:

4yorks:
I have done a print out and explained it was a manual entry error but is this a WTD infringement? The office lady said it showed as exceeding daily working time.

Keep a printout,
Well it does show you’ve exceeded you hours, and I assume the lady in your office is perfect and has never made a mistake, which is why she is making a big deal over it instead of saying ■■■■ happens.

Technically I think it remains an offence for 1 year, but I think you’d be very unlucky or miserably fail an attitude test for a DVSA inspector to be even mildly interested in it.

PS Keep a printout. :wink:

There’d be no actual vehicle entry on your card during that period. There’d be no vehicle tacho in existence showing your card inserted. So what’s that leave? You deliberately manually entered other work overnight to create a 24 hour shift? :laughing: As if anyone would actually volunteer that. If you were to do other work on the sly away from a truck you’d probably not record it. Even Dvsa must realise that one :laughing: . Plus it’s obvious from the print out it’s been put in as a manual entry.

The only actual thing you’ve done wrong is fail to accurately record what you were doing. But failure to record legal infringements are normally the other way round, drivers trying to make out they were resting when working, not deliberately giving themselves infringements for the fun of it. Dvsa will say nothing, except probably smirk and say watch your button pushes. Your work are brain dead if they make anything of it.

There won’t be any fine. It’s a total non event.

biggriffin:
Wouldn’t worry about it… There are people who don’t do manual entries ever, and there still alive.

I don’t… never ever done one yet. Wouldn’t even know how to do one. :wink:

Harry Monk:

biggriffin:

Nor me, nor am I interested in finding out how to either . :neutral_face:

My advice would be to go on the run…and don’t stop running…

It will stay live on your card for 28 days plus today. So keep a printout for that duration.

It could be visible on your card for the life of the card depending on use but it’s only stuff in last 28 days (plus current day)that gets analysed by DVSA and if they can see it after that they can’t act on it.

On the flipside if they can see it they’ll also see it’s an isolated event so don’t worry.

And lube yourself up :wink:

Manual entry x sausage fingers + rushing = mistakes lol
Seriously though don’t worry :sunglasses:

Already covered but 2 printouts (1 for your office and 1 for your wallet), explaining your error.

There’s a manual entry section on the reverse of each printout section but to be honest a simple explanation should cover it.

The only thing worse than getting an infringement is trying to hide it.

Sods law is you may get pulled in which case just pass the attitude test (tip: practice the phrase “thank you sir may I have another”) and as long as it’s not a regular occurrence all will be fine.

Penalty wise it’s unlikely the DVSA officer will pop you over his shoulder and wear you like a glove, more a gentle talking too should suffice.

We all make mistakes, just don’t do it again, you naughty boy… :wink:

Dipper_Dave:
Already covered but 2 printouts (1 for your office and 1 for your wallet), explaining your error.

There’s a manual entry section on the reverse of each printout section but to be honest a simple explanation should cover it.

The only thing worse than getting an infringement is trying to hide it.

Sods law is you may get pulled in which case just pass the attitude test (tip: practice the phrase “thank you sir may I have another”) and as long as it’s not a regular occurrence all will be fine.

Penalty wise it’s unlikely the DVSA officer will pop you over his shoulder and wear you like a glove, more a gentle talking too should suffice.

We all make mistakes, just don’t do it again, you naughty boy… :wink:

I don’t think he’d get even that Dipper, given the event never actually took place.

The only actual thing he’s technically done wrong is recorded what he’s done incorrectly. But DVSA are interested in these infringements when they are the other way around. A blind man on a galloping horse could see no one goes to the trouble to falsify a manual entry to actually drop them selves in it.

I think people get hung up on the point of these digi tachos. Nob heads doing tacho analysis at firms have cultivated this. DVSA aren’t school masters checking you can program a computer for the sake of being efficient at programming. They’re just tools, alongside things like time sheets to try and catch people actually going over their hours, or doing the complete reverse of the OP - people actually working and falsifying records to show they were on rest. That’s what they and the courts are interested in.

Spanking people for data entry errors this way round is nothing to do with road safety. I lay my shirt that zero ■■■■■ will be given by DVSA. Forget it and even if you do it again, don’t stress it. Life’s too short.

Freight Dog:
I think people get hung up on the point of these digi tachos. Nob heads doing tacho analysis at firms have cultivated this. DVSA aren’t school masters checking you can program a computer for the sake of being efficient at programming. They’re just tools, alongside things like time sheets to try and catch people actually going over their hours, or doing the complete reverse of the OP - people actually working and falsifying records to show they were on rest. That’s what they and the courts are interested in.

Spanking people for data entry errors this way round is nothing to do with road safety. I lay my shirt that zero [zb] will be given by DVSA. Forget it and even if you do it again, don’t stress it. Life’s too short.

Exactly!
I know this lad is just new, but it never ceases to amuse me how many drivers get so stressed out over all this bull crap.
You are allowed to make a mistake, and if you do, do a printout…simple
The only ones DVSA are interested in are the deliberate and habitual offenders.
What’s the worst thing that can happen?
Stop stressing out you guys that do, we’re grown men not bloody schoolboys. ffs. :unamused:

robroy:

Freight Dog:

Spanking people for data entry errors this way round is nothing to do with road safety. I lay my shirt that zero [zb] will be given by DVSA. Forget it and even if you do it again, don’t stress it. Life’s too short.

Exactly!
I know this lad is just new, but it never ceases to amuse me how many drivers get so stressed out over all this bull crap.
Stop stressing out you guys that do, we’re grown men not bloody schoolboys. ffs. :unamused:

The problem with this infringement stuff in my mind is not the DVSA, who I’ve found to be reasonable during checks, but these companies who rely solely on computer programs to analyse the data, with the results being handed back to the driver by some office bod who has no practical experience of using a tachograph, but has been told by senior management that an infringement is nothing short of a hanging offence.

muckles:

robroy:

Freight Dog:

Exactly!

The problem with this infringement stuff in my mind is not the DVSA, who I’ve found to be reasonable during checks, but these companies who rely solely on computer programs to analyse the data, with the results being handed back to the driver by some office bod who has no practical experience of using a tachograph, but has been told by senior management that an infringement is nothing short of a hanging offence.

Yeh but if drivers dignify these bod’s existence by taking them seriously with all this stuff, it just makes them, and more importantly the situation, worse. :bulb:
It’s just another management fear based method of continuing to turn their drivers into subservient robots.
The problem is in many cases these methods are actually working :bulb: …, proven, by when drivers panic and go off on one when they go over a minute… :unamused:

robroy:

Harry Monk:

biggriffin:

Nor me, nor am I interested in finding out how to either . :neutral_face:

I’m in the club too…

done this quite a few times, put me card in been distracted and missed putting in manual entry, drove for half an hour and it starts flashing 4 30 hrs driving break needed, just carried on and did a print out and the end of shift, and wrote on the back the circumstances to cover my self, always got a company infringement though.