Companies To Work For

muckles:

Braveheart2009:
I’m in Scotland.

How do you know if manual handling is involved until you have been accepted for the job and shown how to load and unload? Their are loads of companies advertising jobs and do not tell you if your responsible for loading and unloading heavy items? Don’t you need a qualification for manual handling for loading and unloading goods and health and safety cert?

As judian said people’s definition of a good company are different, I assume one of your criteria is no manual handling, but sometimes doing a bit more than just being a driver gets you into the companies who’ll treat you better,
a mate of mine works for a local haulage company that only does flatbed and agricultural work, the job is often dirty, physical, take a bit of thought and can be a bit smelly if they are one of the jobs, but he pays more than anybody else locally, runs decent truck and looks after his drivers, basically because the boss has done the job himself and respects his drivers because he knows that drivers who can do that type of work aren’t 10 a penny, the boss was the mechanic at a haulage firm I worked for over 20 years ago then set up on his own.
Ok he doesn’t really do PC management speak, but then again neither do his drivers, wind ups, banter and general ■■■■ taking are normal and if you [zb] up you’ll get a bollocking, but all forgotten the next day, it doesn’t go on some employment record, unless your his son and he gets fired every other day for something or the other. :laughing: and If you’re doing a decent job you’ll get left alone to do it.
For me that would be far more enjoyable than working for some PLC logistics company where everything has a rule and procedure and you’re basically you represent a cost that has to be justified.

^^^^^
Exactly how our place works, very down to earth, ■■■■ taking and banter plus everyone gets stuck in and helps each other. Handballing a few ton of aggregate at garden centres with no fork lift are common place but ill see it as a work out and very few complain. Drivers are expected to go the extra mile but are rewarded with a top spec unit and very good pay, even changing a wheel they’ll pay 60eur on top. They must be doing something right, no one leaves…