Worst companies or Best companies to work for?

We all know or have an opinion on the worst companies to drive for. Maybe we’ve heard from a colleague, or even from personal experience & we soon learn of those rogue companies to avoid like the plague… where they want you to bend the rules, treat
you like crap and expect more than their pound of flesh…

However, I don’t hear many drivers talking about the star companies… those where, getting a driving job, is like waiting for a ‘dead
mans shoes’ or where they have a low staff turnover because it’s just a brilliant place to work, nice customers, interesting work, decent motors, generous benefits or perks and where they expect their drivers to run 110% legal an ALL drivers hours, WTD and everything else?

Surely these employers must exist? :unamused:

Is it true that you’re better off working for a family business or own account operator, rather than one of the big name hauliers
or global logistic companies?

Any thoughts, opinions or personal experiences of working for really great employers?

Just my thoughts, I was fortunate in that I worked for a large construction company (Tilcon) where the tackle was kept in A1 condition and getting a driving job really was ‘dead mans shoes’ but that job went downhill after they sold the transport side off! Then I drove for a two vehicle haulier who also wanted everything done by the book and wasn’t bothered what time I had off as long as I treated the vehicle well. However he closed down and I retired from transport altogether. That was 14 years ago but alas those days seem to have largly vanished. At one time you couldn’t beat driving for the major fuel companies but I believe that job has now been cut to the bone by outside contractors? I imagine that the best jobs these days are still for own account companies where haulage is just a means of moving their product and rate cutting etc doesn’t exist? Plenty of present day drivers will add their comments but that was how things used to be although ever since haulage began with pack horses etc there have been crap companies around who cut corners and rates and also treated staff badly! :wink:

Pete.