Name me a good company

Noticed that recent posts have been slagging off certain companies etc.

I’ve only ever worked for 2 companies as a HGV driver, (excluding 1 day agency shifts). So I don’t know ■■■■ basically.

So drivers, name me a good company that you’ve worked for/work for and what you liked about them?

They can’t all be run by monkeys and led by donkeys can they?

Name a goods company……… PMSL
As Frank Carson used to say “it’s a cracker”

Double post

It depends on what your criteria of a good company is to be quite honest. Everyone has different expectations of what is good company to them.

Lots of guys stick with companies that often might get called horrendous companies to work for on here, true some of it is people stuck in a rut but sometimes it just works for certain people at certain companies.

What works for one person won’t work for everyone.

There are few good companies in any sector in the sense you are probably looking for in this day and age let alone the trucking business.

To some extent a job is what you get out it, be that the wage, doing a job you love which may pay less sometimes or a better work life balance or somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Sainsburys,you dont have to unload,good money and perks,no stress

Scan Freight UK Colchester and Stoke , and Brit European Zeebrugge Belgium, both of which I’ve worked for, both great to work for, both sadly gone,…(which is why I am where I am today, but I will make absolutely no comments towards comparisons. :smiley: )
The bad, and totally crap firms far outweigh the very few good ones that are left . :bulb:

I would say that I believe my boss works his bloody socks off to do what he can to support his drivers. There’s only about a dozen so no point naming the firm. The client, on the other hand, while the work is Amazoningly easy, can have a lot of stupid rules, only enforced in some places. Also does a lot of stupid planning.

It’s horses for courses really. I love my job at the moment, the terms and pay are great, facilities everywhere, never get a phone call, don’t even open a trailer door 99% of the time, the odd occasion due to my start time I may get a store but normally I’m too early so just gets trunk runs.

The downside is its boring, same handful of places etc but I can just switch off from that.

My last place was general haulage hammer the hours for flat rate pay kinda situation, but again it was easy and the variety kept it fresh.

So two jobs there both with good and bad points for me personally and I’ve found one that suits my life fortunately, but it doesn’t necessarily fit everyone.

Sploom:
Sainsburys,you dont have to unload,good money and perks,no stress

Unless you work in store. My Mrs has worked for them for 26yrs and has just gone back after 6 months on the sick. Through all of this and after going back they treated her like ■■■■. One mans ■■■■ is another mans hero

toonsy:
It’s horses for courses really. I love my job at the moment, the terms and pay are great, facilities everywhere, never get a phone call, don’t even open a trailer door 99% of the time, the odd occasion due to my start time I may get a store but normally I’m too early so just gets trunk runs.

The downside is its boring, same handful of places etc but I can just switch off from that.

My last place was general haulage hammer the hours for flat rate pay kinda situation, but again it was easy and the variety kept it fresh.

So two jobs there both with good and bad points for me personally and I’ve found one that suits my life fortunately, but it doesn’t necessarily fit everyone.

But you work nights, am I right? Could you have the same great pay etc. on days at Tesco?

stu675:

toonsy:

But you work nights, am I right? Could you have the same great pay etc. on days at Tesco?

Good point. I start at 1am so I justify it as a really early morning :laughing: and it actually suits me now but I know its not to the liking of all.

A downside is that absolutely everyone now at my place works one weekend shift which doesn’t suit all but as it’s a must I’ll calculate it into pay.

So doing your 9.25hrs (46.25 a week) works out at 42.5k at pure day rate, ie no overtime at all, no shift enhancement etc

What’s your definition of a good company?

For me it’s the local management that can make the difference. I’ve worked for several national companies where the depot I work from is complete crap but have worked out of their other depots and the difference is night & day.

For me there’s nothing more annoying than being called whilst driving or getting whinged at at the end of the shift. So any job that avoids those things is good for me.

toonsy:

So doing your 9.25hrs (46.25 a week) works out at 42.5k at pure day rate, ie no overtime at all, no shift enhancement etc

Ahh £17.67, that sounds even better than :-
g.co/kgs/HZm8HX

Shame they’re not advertising directly.

One mans meat is another mans poison , so how do you define a “good” company?
For me personaly it’s all about where I will be going and what I’m delivering .
We do a lot of work up into Scotland , a little into the North of England (above the M62) and very little into the South of England and nothing inside the M25.
We carry a lot of precast concrete , mostly agricultural precast so a lot of farm deliveries , narrow roads , tracks and all the sights and smells of the countryside . As a farmers son who grew up on a farm the smells don’t bother me in the slightest. If needs be I can jump in a tractor or a loading shovel and shift stuff around . Brick to building sites , bagged compost/peat to supermarket RDC’s / plant growers /garden centers ,plastic bottles , empty whiskey barrels, animal feed from manufacturers to suppliers ,potatoes from farms to processors and lately uplifting engineering equipment (lathes , pillar drills etc ) from companies to be refurbished and then redeliver the same to their new owners . Farm machinery deliveries from manufacturers to dealers and food packaging round up the most of what we do as standard but you never know what the next load will be or where its going .
After that a good team of drivers who can work together as many of the trailers I deliver are loaded by someone else (trailers will be loaded in Northern Ireland and shipped out to Cairnryan, Heysham or Birkenhead ) so having drivers that can load and strap loads properly means a lot , nobody wants to collect a trailer in a ferry port and have to open the curtains and restrap a load (I do open the back doors climb up and check the loads are strapped well )
Office staff that actually have done the job and know what they are talking about . Our office are all ex drivers who have done the job and know what can and can’t be done - sounds like a small thing but it if you know you know .
Good trucks , well speced for the job and maintained along with good well maintained trailers.
After all that the pays not bad - yes I could go elsewhere and earn more money but I’d be working more hours and hatefull shifts for it and not that much more in the bank for the hassle .
All things considered its as good as whats out there at the moment for me - I do keep looking round to see whats available but never seem to find anything that suits me better than what I have at the moment.
Just a few pics of some of the stuff we get up to .

stu675:

toonsy:

g.co/kgs/HZm8HX

It’s actually broadly the same in terns of hourly rates, I calculated it as four days at base rate plus one day (which can’t be avoided unfortunately) at weekend rate.

There’s older contracts on different terms and rates that get more of something and less of other stuff but as that’s not on the table for anyone now it’s pointless comparing it.

toonsy:

stu675:

toonsy:

g.co/kgs/HZm8HX

It’s actually broadly the same in terns of hourly rates, I calculated it as four days at base rate plus one day (which can’t be avoided unfortunately) at weekend rate.

There’s older contracts on different terms and rates that get more of something and less of other stuff but as that’s not on the table for anyone now it’s pointless comparing it.

Yeah, after I posted I realised that was what you meant [emoji106]