Best Companies to work for?

So… Who are they and more importantly why?
Read and see so many drivers hacked off but alongside that I see some happy ones

Fill ya boots

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That all depends on what’s important to a driver.
Some prefer more money, some prefer new kit, some prefer home every night, some prefer working for companies that aren’t obsessed with over zealous H&S practices.
Every field has good and bad companies but the drivers at the good ones tend to keep quiet and the bad companies drivers like to let everyone know just how bad things are for them.

The best companies have now all faded into history, they have all gone.

One or two still about being run on old fashioned values.
Invariably they never advertise and their appreciative staff do their level best (well most) to make sure the job lasts.

You could do far worse than work for Tesco or similar, yes it’ll be slow and ponderous with many still limited to 50mph if that matters, but the pay and steady work schedule means you can still do these jobs well into your dotage if you want or need to.
In the vast majority of cases you are better off working directly for the company carrying or distributing their own goods, where hire and reward naturally is profit driven.

Some logistics type providers can be decent contracts, but you have to check the terms and conditions carefully to see exactly what you are doing and what hours and days you will have to work for the figure stated.

As Juddian says, anyone with Orange Operators discs in the window is a good start.

yellowasp:

Any company which doesn’t make its money from haulage so any manufacturing company which runs its own wagons for example.

Thread over.

Conor:

yellowasp:

Any company which doesn’t make its money from haulage so any manufacturing company which runs its own wagons for example.

Thread over.

99% correct. You need to have a real “angle” or “unique selling point” or WTF, to make it in haulage. So much competition, from so many quarters, and not necessarily fair competition.
Whoops, afraid Carryfast may feel the need the expand on what I just said, so this thread could run n run!

Ones that are busy all year round. Worked for a garden nursery where 8 months of the year you were flat out and then the other months you only got 24 hours a week pay.

mrginge:
Ones that are busy all year round. Worked for a garden nursery where 8 months of the year you were flat out and then the other months you only got 24 hours a week pay.

I’d love a job like that and agency work is a lot like that. You just don’t spend every single penny you earn for the 8 months and then use what you’ve saved to top up during the other 4 months and treat it like a holiday.

Conor:

yellowasp:

Thread over.

Can’t argue with that.
A small manufacturing firm that I know, who pays their drivers top money have had their hours cut down although there is plenty of work.
A local haulage firm are getting priority because they pay their drivers much less so therefore can do the job cheaper.
No ethics whatsoever in transport eh?

robroy:

Conor:

yellowasp:

Thread over.

Can’t argue with that.
A small manufacturing firm that I know, who pays their drivers top money have had their hours cut down although there is plenty of work.
A local haulage firm are getting priority because they pay their drivers much less so therefore can do the job cheaper.

No ethics in ANY business?

Conor:

mrginge:

I’d love a job like that and agency work is a lot like that. You just don’t spend every single penny you earn for the 8 months and then use what you’ve saved to top up during the other 4 months and treat it like a holiday.

I was working there when I was 21/22yrs old so I didn’t save the money at all, bought all sorts of cars and went on lads holidays so it didn’t work for me ha. Even had to work night shifts in the greenhouse and still do lorry jobs when needed.

My favourite car I had at the time was my late 90’s BMW 7 series. It got to a stage where it seemed like a new car every month. Lucky for me I became quite the hoarder so I still have two garages full of parts (I once counted 56 alloy wheels in them so had a little purge) so atleast some of the money hasn’t disappeared!

In the UK at least, Jack Richards, was a fair while ago but best co. i ever worked for, a family run place with real old school values.

Conor:
Any company which doesn’t make its money from haulage…

+1

Any food manufacturer with in house transport. Foods always needed.

robroy:

Conor:

yellowasp:

Thread over.

Can’t argue with that.

Exactly what has happened at our yard, all long distance work gone to local firm, scratching round for hours now, drivers leaving and not being replaced, how is it suddenly "not economic "?

Companies that used to be “in house” where nearly always the best,until the likes of DHL Stobarts Wincanton came along cutting each others throats to take over on contract

lolipop:
Companies that used to be “in house” where nearly always the best,until the likes of DHL Stobarts Wincanton came along cutting each others throats to take over on contract

And absorbing the loss in the lower rate by paying their drivers crap money. :bulb:

robroy:

lolipop:

And absorbing the loss in the lower rate by paying their drivers crap money. :bulb:

The irony being that these logistics mobs can’t ■■■■ the clients money up the wall fast enough.

4 pallets of deck chairs weighing the square root of bugger all…we’ll send a 6 axle artic 200 miles and bring it back empty…when i asked/suggested at the depot the other end if they had a load to return with (they always do) or could swap trailers and take a trunk back the look of astonishment was something to behold, it just didn’t compute.
Just one of many thousands of instances we all see day in day out of money time mileage people wasted.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with the client companies who allow incompetents to take unchecked control of their transport systems, they deserve to get shafted.

AndrewG:
In the UK at least, Jack Richards, was a fair while ago but best co. i ever worked for, a family run place with real old school values.

Afraid they’re the same as most others now. A friend tells me that English speakers are rare and an economics degree is required to work out the pay! Allegedly!! :wink::wink: