Work vans

Hi folks, I work for a drainage firm driving a 32 ton drainage tanker on domestic rules,
I have been trying to put forward a case for getting a work van for commuting to and from sites where the lorry has been left on site, but my bosses seem to think that I can’t drive a works van to and from my house as it counts towards my duty time, is this correct??

Correct.

But so does driving your own car to site as you are working away from your assigned base. Traveling to another site, other than your usual location, for work is working time and costs should be paid. Are they paying you mileage to drive your car to site? If not, I’d get the calculator out and prepare a demand for back pay of expenses.

If you use your own vehicle then you should also check the conditions of your motor insurance policy with the broker, you may easily find that you are not covered.

cav551:
If you use your own vehicle then you should also check the conditions of your motor insurance policy with the broker, you may easily find that you are not covered.

This. Commuting is usually only to a single location for work.

If you leave the truck on a site, how do you get home?

As far as I know, there is no automatic right to have your travelling expenses reimbursed by your employer unless it has already been agreed between you.

But travel to/from anywhere away from your usual workplace is indeed “working time”, so must surely be part of your “duty time” under Domestic Rules, regardless of the means of transport used?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I have a company van but it generally only goes from my house to the yard. Occasionally I will leave early and drop off some invoices close to home, get some parts from the dealer or go and suss out a new job if it sounds tight.

Roymondo:
As far as I know, there is no automatic right to have your travelling expenses reimbursed by your employer unless it has already been agreed between you.

But travel to/from anywhere away from your usual workplace is indeed “working time”, so must surely be part of your “duty time” under Domestic Rules, regardless of the means of transport used?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Its hard. According to the government there is no automatic right to travel expenses. According to Worksmart.org.uk from the TUC:

workSMART:
The law requires your employer to reimburse reasonable expenses necessarily incurred in the course of your employment. Your contract of employment may contain written terms specifying what expenses are to be reimbursed and in what circumstances, for example:

travelling expenses to a location other than the normal place of work;
hotel accommodation when staying away from home for work;
mileage expenses for use of a private car when travelling on company business;
petty expenses for materials necessarily purchased for the purpose of carrying out duties; and
relocation expenses on transferring employment to a new location.

I would say this satisfies the traveling expenses to a location other than the normal place of work condition.

Cheers for all the replys,
The last big job I did involved leaving the wagon on site, taking a van back to the yard, and car home from the yard, the company only paid me for onsite hours and not commuting to the yard despite me collecting supplys for the wagon and dropping off paperwork.
I just wasn’t sure as they seem to give different advice regarding domestic rule when it suits them

Some good replies, you should be paid for collecting supplies for them and their paperwork.