Driving a van in my own time...legal restrictions?

Afternoon all,

Have been volunteered by the Mrs to help the mother in law move house either next weekend or the weekend after. But will need to drive a transit van.

I was wondering what , if any, legal restrictions are on this regarding driving hours?

Or should I be able to just crack on and not worry about it?

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

What you do and drive in your own time is entirely up to you and no one else’s business.

As long as you are not working for hire or reward then it does not count as working time.

No different to you taking your Ma in law shopping. The vehicle you will be driving is not in scope, so crack on.

A 3.5 ton van is exempt from drivers hours regulations, although if you were employed to drive one it may count towards working time. Helping the outlaws, although you’re looking for an excuse not to, is perfectly OK

simcor:
What you do and drive in your own time is entirely up to you and no one else’s business.

As long as you are not working for hire or reward then it does not count as working time.

What he said

Driving a transit van on private work isn’t going to have any affect on your driving hours whatsoever.

sinclair89:

This ^^^ :slight_smile:

Happy days, thanks fellas. Can’t always count on you guys give to the right advice!

Don’t panic and crack on no problem what so ever and even if you were getting paid to do something tell no one :wink:

simcor:

If it was my mother in law I’d definitely be working for hire and reward, she would get the bill at the end of the day :smiley: and I would do a print out and write on the back something along the lines of “shifted Cruella de Vil over the weekend” :smiley:

simcor:

That’s not strictly true, you can only drive vehicles up-to 7.5t on private work and be tachograph exempt.

Regardless of whether or not you’re being paid, driving a goods vehicle over 7.5t to carry even your own goods is in-scope of EU regulations and legally needs to be recorded as such.

tachograph:

simcor:

That’s not strictly true, you can only drive vehicles up-to 7.5t on private work and be tachograph exempt.

Regardless of whether or not you’re being paid, driving a goods vehicle over 7.5t to carry even your own goods is in-scope of EU regulations and legally needs to be recorded as such.

Was only going to get a 3.5 transit, move a fridge , an oven and some boxes.

She’s moving in round the corner as well

As somebody with a law degree from the University of Bollockshire, formerly twadle Polytechnic, I feel as you are working for your Mother in Law you are most definitely not able to freely dispose of your own time, so shouldn’t be driving. :laughing:

However you really have to decide if incurring the wrath of your Wife and Mother in Law is a price worth paying to avoid the risk of a fine from the authorities. :laughing:

These rules about what you can do in your own time are idiotic to say the least. When I was driving I got a tug by Vosa a nice pleasant lad asked how was my weekend. I said it was good we had a great time told him I played bodhran in a folk group and played Friday and Saturday night. He asked did we get paid for it I said of course and he said I was breaking the regs. I wasn’t driving but still doing paid work he said. He told me not to be doing it again. I did it again and again no government is going to tell me what I can do in my free time. Daft regulations.

Good grief! That’s hardly work, though technically I suppose it’s for hire or reward. Similarly, the reward for helping the “woman hitler” was keeping in the good books, at least.

volvo2:
These rules about what you can do in your own time are idiotic to say the least. When I was driving I got a tug by Vosa a nice pleasant lad asked how was my weekend. I said it was good we had a great time told him I played bodhran in a folk group and played Friday and Saturday night. He asked did we get paid for it I said of course and he said I was breaking the regs. I wasn’t driving but still doing paid work he said. He told me not to be doing it again. I did it again and again no government is going to tell me what I can do in my free time. Daft regulations.

It’s not that daft, it’s to stop people working all weekend then get back in the truck! Best thing to do is learn the regs so you don’t drop yourself in it over something like that

volvo2:

Of course I didn’t nice mr vosa man. That would be illegal. :laughing:

stevieboy308:

volvo2:

It’s not that daft, it’s to stop people working all weekend then get back in the truck! Best thing to do is learn the regs so you don’t drop yourself in it over something like that

common sense… that’s all you need. if once in a year you help your mother in law move house then its not work even if your being paid for it… if I got pulled by vosa and they said it was ‘‘work’’ I would take the case to court and fight it, I would get a jury and ask them who in there right mind would convict me… I’m guessing half of the idiots on here would but still, them with common sense wouldn’t… a bit like them drivers that take pride in there trucks and like to polish while there on break… if vosa took that to court they can keep my sodding licence n ill go back to selling drugs to kids… far more money in it and the risk is what a few months in center parks…

some people on here are there own worst enemy

yorkielee:
common sense… that’s all you need. if once in a year you help your mother in law move house then its not work even if your being paid for it… if I got pulled by vosa and they said it was ‘‘work’’ I would take the case to court and fight it, I would get a jury and ask them who in there right mind would convict me…

I would convict you if you were being paid. The important thing about recreation is that, if you’re too tired, then you rearrange or refuse the task once it stops being a pleasure, whereas if you’re being paid that changes the equation for most people.

If you’re a driver and you won’t move your mother in law for free (and she’s willing to pay), then don’t do it at all - let her pay someone else who is properly rested.

Rjan:

yorkielee:
common sense… that’s all you need. if once in a year you help your mother in law move house then its not work even if your being paid for it… if I got pulled by vosa and they said it was ‘‘work’’ I would take the case to court and fight it, I would get a jury and ask them who in there right mind would convict me…

I would convict you if you were being paid. The important thing about recreation is that, if you’re too tired, then you rearrange or refuse the task once it stops being a pleasure, whereas if you’re being paid that changes the equation for most people.

If you’re a driver and you won’t move your mother in law for free (and she’s willing to pay), then don’t do it at all - let her pay someone else who is properly rested.

Really?

sinclair89:
Afternoon all,

Have been volunteered by the Mrs to help the mother in law move house either next weekend or the weekend after. But will need to drive a transit van.

I was wondering what , if any, legal restrictions are on this regarding driving hours?

Ok, let’s turn this situation on it’s head… I drive a van all week, but I want to drive trucks for 3-4 days per month ( I’m ex HGV driver but been away from it for five years! ) So, my question is… will my hours spent at weekly van driving job have to be included or added to any extra time spent truck driving to stay within drivers hours rules?