Height indicator update

Thanks everybody for your contributions on this subject.
Just thought you may be interested in the outcome, manager at the site cannot provide any evidence to suggest that cab height indicators not a legal requirement. The end of the conversation went something like, “if you don’t want to drive our trucks, just say and we’ll get somebody else”.
So post card and black marker now kept in bag.

Interesting cause by looks of it it’s been law for years.

Is it law?

Quick scrabble for FTA Yearbook of Road Transport Law…yes it is law.

‘From 1st October 1997, if the overall travelling height of a motor vehicle or trailer exceeds three metres there must be a notice in the cab…’

It must:

be where it can be easily read by the driver and have numbers at least 40mm tall
indicate the overall travelling height (to a tolerance of plus 150mm)
be in feet/inches or in both feet/inches and metres (but not in metres only!). (If you’re going to do both the heights indicated must not differ by more than 50mm.
be clear i.e. no other letters or numbers capable of being confused with the height indicated may appear in the cab notice and there must be no other notice displayed in the cab that could be confused with this notice.
What is overall travelling height?

‘the overall height from ground level of the vehicle, its equipment and load. When drawing a trailer, overall travelling height means the overall height of the vehicle/trailer combination, its equipment and load.’

What if you swap trailers on an artic?

‘Where the variation <150mm cab notices can be standardised at the overall travelling height of the highest vehicle/trailer combination, i.e. no other combination will be more than 150mm lower than the indicated height.

Where the variation >150mm cab notices will need to be adjusted accordingly and drivers will need a simple method for determining the hight to be indicated on the cab notice.’

What happens if you’re stopped and you haven’t got a height indicator?

£30 fixed penalty for the driver – not good for your OCRS.

What did we do?

Luckily ours is a rigid 8 wheeled vehicle so no worrying about swapping trailers! So we made our own height indicator for display in the cab. Although it took a bit of expansion on the photocopier as Word’s biggest font is only 20mm!!

You can buy in-cab height indicators – most vehicles seem to have them included by the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He can buy a basic one off ebay for less then £5, says a lot about your TM, especially that bull ■■■ “if you don’t want to drive our trucks, just say and we’ll get somebody else”.

Curious as to what “…to a tolerance of plus 150mm…” means.

That’s 15 cms, or about 6 inches. If your actual true height is 14’ 3", presumably this means that your height indicator can read anything between 14’ 3" and 14’ 9" and it is legal, but if you set it at 14’ 11" that would breach the regulations.

Is that right?

mrginge:
He can buy a basic one off ebay for less then £5, says a lot about your TM, especially that bull ■■■ “if you don’t want to drive our trucks, just say and we’ll get somebody else”.

My response to a comment like that would be, get somebody else then, ungrateful git.
I am surprised how some companies manage to get drivers.

The manager at the site is clearly incompetent and as such should be reported to the TC.

trooper2290:
Just thought you may be interested in the outcome, manager at the site cannot provide any evidence to suggest that cab height indicators not a legal requirement. The end of the conversation went something like, “if you don’t want to drive our trucks, just say and we’ll get somebody else”.

Are you agency or employee?

trooper2290:
The end of the conversation went something like, “if you don’t want to drive our trucks, just say and we’ll get somebody else”.

That won’t be easy because there’s a massive driver shortage.

TiredAndEmotional:

trooper2290:

I’m agency, been driving with them for about 12 months now. As I said in the previous posts the work is ok and is local to me, so worth keeping hold of. I think eventually this kind of crap will get the better of me and I’ll move on, but the height indicator is just one issue at the site. I know some defects made out by drivers are simply put in the bin!! Last night the truck I was given had 5 tyres which needed replacing (4 at 1mm or less and 1 less than there own limit of 3mm), there response to the defect made me feel like it was my fault!!! You really need to be on top of your game when it comes to daily checks.

trooper2290:

TiredAndEmotional:

trooper2290:

I’m agency, been driving with them for about 12 months now. As I said in the previous posts the work is ok and is local to me, so worth keeping hold of. I think eventually this kind of crap will get the better of me and I’ll move on, but the height indicator is just one issue at the site. I know some defects made out by drivers are simply put in the bin!! Last night the truck I was given had 5 tyres which needed replacing (4 at 1mm or less and 1 less than there own limit of 3mm), there response to the defect made me feel like it was my fault!!! You really need to be on top of your game when it comes to daily checks.

Height indicator whilst law, is not the end of the world, as you can easily make one, as you have.

4 illegal tyres on the other hand, at 3 points per tyre…

Major alarm bells would be ringing, it may be a “good job” but it’s only a matter of time before their lax attitude costs you beer tokens, courtesy of DVSA.

trooper2290:

Easy to get rid of then! Personally I wouldn’t have made any noise about the height marker after the initial enemy contact. You found a practical solution to a minor issue and that’s the way to go when you can. Bet you’re off his Christmas list now after defecting 5 tyres :laughing: . Do what you need to and protect your licence you’ll need it at your next gig!

I would call his bluff, tell him to get another driver then, and i`m phoning VOSA right now telling them you wont change the illegal tyres, and want you to take it on the road. Sorry mate, but your a fool if you think you wont get nicked if you take an illegal motor on the road, and just because the job suits, and its just up the road, doesnt wash with me, thats a killing machine with illegal tyres, that i wouldnt want responsibilty for…your head, your licence, your future, and could your family survive whilst your serving a prison sentence■■?

Did you take the truck that needs 5 tyres replacing out?

trooper2290:

TiredAndEmotional:

trooper2290:

5 Tyres that need replacing !!! change them or Id be walking. Not worth the risk.

JaxDemon:

No - they gave me another vehicle, when I left they were still trying to find out who the previous driver was…complete amateurs!!!

trooper2290:

JaxDemon:

No - they gave me another vehicle, when I left they were still trying to find out who the previous driver was…complete amateurs!!!

Download the data from the VDU in the cab, hardly rocket science (that said, they should be able to look up who the previous driver was from their records…).

Simple answer, is when you come upto a Wheel Tapper station thats open, pull in even if your not requested,see what they have to say,use your mobile and let them tell the TM.
Your Licence NOT the Companies

Convenient or not my arse would be out the door like a shot, that idiot isn’t worth working for mate.

Cowboy outfits still going yeehaw by the sounds of it.

lolipop:
Simple answer, is when you come upto a Wheel Tapper station thats open, pull in even if your not requested,see what they have to say,use your mobile and let them tell the TM.
Your Licence NOT the Companies

But that’s shooting yourself in the foot if you think there’s something wrong!