Trailer Heights

Could any of you good people tell me if it is a legal requirement to have the height marked on a trailer and have a height marker in the cab

I am pretty sure you need one in the cab by law, over a certain height (not sure what that is though) but i dont know about it being on the trailer.

Look here

Read around section 8 onwards if you can understand mumbo jumbo legal squwack lol

opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/19970530.htm

the cab one has to set at the right height for the trailer or you can get done,

so ive been told anyway :open_mouth:

Id say youd need one on trailer if your chaging trailers a lot as guessing heights aint a bright idea especially if running high trailers…

I would say that its not a legal requirement to have the height marked on the trailer but it is the legal responsibility of the driver to know the height (and width and length for that matter) of any trailer (or load) he is pulling :wink:

On trailer, no. In cab, yes. It is the drivers responsibility to know the correct height and to ensure the indicator is displying that height.

(5) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a vehicle on a particular journey and at a particular time if -

(a) one or more documents are being carried in the vehicle which are within the easy reach of the driver and that or those documents describe a route or a choice of routes which the driver must take in order to fulfil the purpose of the journey without risk of the vehicle, its load or equipment or any trailer drawn by the vehicle, its load or equipment, colliding with any bridge or other overhead structure; and

(b) the vehicle is on such a route which is so described or is off that route by reason of a diversion that could not reasonably have been foreseen at the beginning of the journey.

Does that mean that if I have a map book with bridge heights marked I don’t need an indicator in the cab?

No Santa, you must have an indicator in the cab, or a prescribed route (supermarkets and oversize are the prime candidates for that).

It’s simple for me, 13’6" or 4M all the time.

You are supposed to have the cab height marked inside your cab although i have never known this to be enforced. As for trailer height you will know most trailers are marked with a height based on 5th wheel height so the same trailer on your wagon then on mine would probably be totally diffrent height. Like everyone else says it is the drivers responsibillity to know the height of his vehicle if ya not sure measure it!!!

But read my post: The act says that if I have “documents ~ in the vehicle which are within the easy reach of the driver” then “Paragraph (1) shall not apply”

Paragraph(1) is where it says about having an indicator in tha cab.

Santa:
But read my post: The act says that if I have “documents ~ in the vehicle which are within the easy reach of the driver” then “Paragraph (1) shall not apply”

Paragraph(1) is where it says about having an indicator in tha cab.

(5) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a vehicle on a particular journey and at a particular time if -

(a) one or more documents are being carried in the vehicle which are within the easy reach of the driver and that or those documents describe a route or a choice of routes which the driver must take in order to fulfil the purpose of the journey without risk of the vehicle, its load or equipment or any trailer drawn by the vehicle, its load or equipment, colliding with any bridge or other overhead structure; and

(b) the vehicle is on such a route which is so described or is off that route by reason of a diversion that could not reasonably have been foreseen at the beginning of the journey.

I wouldn’t have thought that a map could be said to fulfil that requirement, after all a map doesn’t describe what route you must take, it simply shows all the options.

I think trailer heights should be marked on the trailers like on many fleets.

For example.

Trailer Height from Pin. 10 feet 8 inches

It is easier than trying to measure an unfamiliar trailer on your own on a surface that resembles the moon

Then it is a simple calculation adding your 5th wheel height to the first measurement. With an Isocontainer it would be the calculation of the 3 units

We are fortunate in that all our fleet is standardised with only 3 types of trailer which run at 4.0, 4.2 & 4.3 metres as depicted by the fleet numbers.

so how would we measure the overall height?is it a tape measure job?

You could try a tape measure from the floor, but if you’ve ever tried that you need to be a snake charmer to keep it up (or give it some form of Viagara). If you measure from the top down you’d have all the H&S Nazis jumping up and down too. Double edged sword methinks.

Also, I wonder who’s responsibilty it would be if you hit a bridge at say 13ft with a trailer marked 12ft 6in, obviously trailer wrongly marked (assuming bridge marker correct),

clarkyboy:
so how would we measure the overall height?is it a tape measure job?

That is exactly the reason for making trailer heights compulsory, the trailer would be measured in the workshops when it was plated.

Ships have plimsoll lines, we could have wheelnut lines :stuck_out_tongue:

It is a legal requirement to have a height indicator fitted inside the cab of a lorry.

Conor:
It is a legal requirement to have a height indicator fitted inside the cab of a lorry.

Back to the beginning then, how do you know how high the unfamiliar trailer you have just picked up actually is.

Read the bit about the ■■■■■■ and snake charmer :wink:

Well rule of thumb my hands about a 9inch spread and I’m 5 10 tall so if you stand on the cat walk with a long enough piece of wood you’ll be able to work out within a few inch’s then just add a few on top of that to be safe …

allikat:
No Santa, you must have an indicator in the cab, or a prescribed route (supermarkets and oversize are the prime candidates for that).

It’s simple for me, 13’6" or 4M all the time.

it may be simple for you, but 4m is just under 13’ 2 " :laughing: