Trailer Heights

The trailers I pull are all marked 4.8 metres. The indicator in the cab says 16ft and I stick with that. Less than 16ft and I don’t go under :laughing:

Thanks for the input guys, the reason I asked was because where I’m working at the mo there’s a couple of trailers with no height marked on them and a motor with no height indicator in it, I was pretty sure the motor needed a height indicator but not so sure about the trailers.

I did try to measure the trailer height with a tape rule but as the maoster said keeping it erect was a “challenge” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gardun:
The trailers I pull are all marked 4.8 metres. The indicator in the cab says 16ft and I stick with that. Less than 16ft and I don’t go under :laughing:

Is that why your always running round solo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

gardun:

Is that why your always running round solo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Didn’t see it that way :laughing:

Conor:
It is a legal requirement to have a height indicator fitted inside the cab of a lorry.

is also the responserblity of the driver to check the hight is right for that truck and trailer.

del

The height indicator has to be fitted inside the cab if the vehicle measures more than 3 metres.

Reading this link was more the reason for me suggesting a better way.

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/res … quency4172

My tractor does not have run up ramps, it runs with a European spec set up where the plate is bolted directly to the chassis, but if I drop my trailer for a UK subbie, immediately the trailer is 3 inches higher at the front.

If the height from the trailer plate to the roof was marked officially on all trailers it would be simple to add my 1150 mm to that height. It wouldnt matter if the trailer was empty or loaded as the only height that could alter was the tractor pulling it.

There is a massive thread on here about drivers not knowing the height with pictures of tape measures :stuck_out_tongue:

I always carry a tape measure because we also do groupage and it is easier to tell my planner how much space I have remaining rather than running 300 kilometres to find that urgent box will not fit.

Obviously a plant trailer or car transporter needs a different approach as it the angle of the decks or the position of a dipper arm that will hit a bridge first.

the maoster:
Also, I wonder who’s responsibilty it would be if you hit a bridge at say 13ft with a trailer marked 12ft 6in, obviously trailer wrongly marked (assuming bridge marker correct),

The driver would be deemed to be100% responsible.

Five or so years ago I was heading north into the Blackwall Tunnel when the signals flashed to send me off up the diversion because I was too high. I knew perfectly well that the limit was 13’4” and the height of my trailer was clearly marked 13’3”.

When the tunnel police turned up they measured it at 13’6”. Obviously it had originally been measured on a lower tractor unit (or just plain wrong).

They said that, but for the marking I would have been prosecuted, but they reckoned the magistrates would consider it sufficient defence, so they let me off with a warning.

Good job it was a light beam and not a bridge though.