Height indicator

So, just picked up truck, bulb out so back to office for bulb. Whilst there told head guy, there is no height indicator in the cab. Not a legal requirement I was told. The driver should know the height of the vehicle.
Have I missed a change in the rules here?

Happy to be corrected, but I believe you MUST have a height indicator in your cab.

Are you an agency driver or are you permanent at this particular firm?

eagerbeaver:
Happy to be corrected, but I believe you MUST have a height indicator in your cab.

Are you an agency driver or are you permanent at this particular firm?

I’m agency at this place, so obviously dont want to make a fuss, but he cant quote his source.
I’ve made my own for now.

Think from memory mate that it is all vehicles over 3 metres high that require a height indicator.

I think its 10ft or higher must have height indicator, probably wrong but what I was told a few years back.

eagerbeaver:
Think from memory mate that it is all vehicles over 3 metres high that require a height indicator.

Yeah, thats my understanding as well.

BradCarTransporter:
I think its 10ft or higher must have height indicator, probably wrong but what I was told a few years back.

3metres/9’ 10" so you’re not too far out mate :wink:

Just had a quick root around on t’internet and it appears it is law from Oct 1997.

It is part of Construction and Use Regs and as usual the head honcho is an ignorant ■■■■■

Just having a look my self, in force from 1997 and its a £30.00 fine for the driver.

ukmotorists.com/motoring/enf … alties.asp

This site says £30 fixed penalty for the driver… No date on the site tho . A postcard and a felt tip cost a lot less.

trooper2290:
Just having a look my self, in force from 1997 and its a £30.00 fine for the driver.

Depends whether you give a rat’s arse about going back there or not Trooper. Bloke needs telling he is incorrect though, as for the indicator not being fitted, I would just ask him if it’s ok to let DVSA know (in the event of a pull) that you have been given the go ahead to drive without it and will reimburse you any fine.

eagerbeaver:

trooper2290:

Depends whether you give a rat’s arse about going back there or not Trooper. Bloke needs telling he is incorrect though, as for the indicator not being fitted, I would just ask him if it’s ok to let DVSA know (in the event of a pull) that you have been given the go ahead to drive without it and will reimburse you any fine.

Trouble is the jobs ok and local…think a postcard and felt tip in my bag from now on as suggested by previous opp

driver cpc aint working then :frowning: :frowning:

The height indicator…

Possibly the most pointless bit of kit ever put in a cab.

The one thing it doesn’t do (which is it’s design criteria) is stop numbnuts drivers from clouting bridges.

swayze1:
driver cpc aint working then :frowning: :frowning:

More like manager DCPC not working.

yeh dead right there radar must be a prat manager

Trouble is the jobs ok and local…think a postcard and felt tip in my bag from now on as suggested by previous opp
[/quote]
Don’t forget the numbers must be 40 mm tall .

thevirtualtransportmanager.word … indicator/

yourhavingalarf:
The height indicator…

Possibly the most pointless bit of kit ever put in a cab.

The one thing it doesn’t do (which is it’s design criteria) is stop numbnuts drivers from clouting bridges.

Pointless it may be but when I was stopped by vosa he asked me the height of my tri then looked at height indicator , no idea if you can / can’t get done if it’s not set right , but they definitely take notice of it

Right there MUST be an indicator showing the overall height of the vehicle.

This on the other hand doesn’t have to be a permanent fixture fitted to the vehicle it could be a sheet of a4 or other size of paper indicating the height .

Nothing more damned annoying than an adustable height indicator being placed on the passenger side as so many are. :imp: