Height notice in cab

:question: jus started a new job, driving a flatbed, but delivering an collecting heavy plant which vary in height, the truck is 12’ unloaded but there is no adjustable or any height indicator fitted, so i have to write it on a big notice in front of me as i am in south london a lot with notorious low bridges an i cannot go northbound thru blackwall over 13’4" i read it was a legal requirement in all vehicles over 9’10" so it says in my truckers atlas? am i right the other driver says i do not need 1 but he is old school an i am the new boy, he also says if you split ya break the 30mins has to be 1st i thought they changed it so it could be 15 1st if you wanted as long as you had a break before 4.5hrs of driving or 6 hours work? please enlighten me before i make too much fuss about needing a height thingy in my cab!!!

re break can take 45 in one go or 15 THEN a 30 not the other way round or 3 lots of 15 as used to be the case

If you hit a bridge it wont be the old guy getting done for it. You do need a height marker and you need one of these.

Write the height on a piece of card if you need but get one fitted and quick.

And the break must be 15 + 30, not the other way round, no splitting it into 20 + 25 or 3 x 15 as garnerlives already said.

The Road Vehicles
(Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
SI No.1078 as amended requires the
maximum height of the vehicle in feet and
inches to be displayed on a notice in the
cab of a vehicle when the overall travelling
height is more than 3 metres.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 SI No.1078 as
amended requires vehicles with high level equipment with a maximum height
more than 3 metres to be fitted with a device to give a visible warning to the
driver if the equipment is raised whilst being driven, unless the equipment can
be fixed in position by a locking device.

cheers i will tellthe main man then, didnt wanna rock the boat as i only started on jan1st

garnerlives:
re break can take 45 in one go or 15 THEN a 30 not the other way round or 3 lots of 15 as used to be the case

Jon its 30 THEN 15 :wink:
I used to get infringements for 15 then 30 :wink:

when the overall travelling height is more than 3 metres.

There’'s the important two words you should point out to him. I’m guessing because the vehicle is less then 3 metres high when unladen they think the height indicator is not required but it’s the height it is going down the road at which counts.

i like to say that it must be display in feet and inches, and you can have the meters there at the bottom, but not meter on there own

15mins then a 30 mins if splitting rest and doing more than 4.5 hours driving. If under 4.5 hours driving then you can split them however you want as long as they are at least 15 mins long :wink:

Seany:
15mins then a 30 mins if splitting rest and doing more than 4.5 hours driving. If under 4.5 hours driving then you can split them however you want as long as they are at least 15 mins long :wink:

if you do less that 4.5 hours driving in a day there would be no EU driving break required only one that mite be is a WTD break

Measure the deck height of your vehicle usually around 3’6" - 4’ on a rigid beavertail. Pull your plant alongside the body and stand on the body to measure the height from the top of the machine to the floor. Then add the body height, it’s easier to do it this way than to load the machine and start clambering all over it.

Just call me miracle grow, I work wonders with plant :laughing:

DAF95XF:

garnerlives:

Should you edit this post■■?

1.15 All vehicles with an overall travelling height above 3 metres must have the maximum height of
the vehicle in feet and inches displayed inside the cab so that it is clearly visible to the driver.
(Regulation 10 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 as amended by
S.I. 1997 No 530)
As long as you have writen it down you have comitted no offence

1.16 Any vehicle fitted with high level equipment that is capable of exceeding a height of 3 metres
must be fitted with a visual warning device. This device must tell the driver if the equipment
has been left in the extended position. (Regulation 10A of The Road Vehicles (Construction and
Use) Regulations 1986 as amended by S.I. 1997 No 530)
I would expect this covers tippers and vehicles with any part of the vehicle that can be raised Hiabs too ■■

Breaks as said 15 mins first then 30 NOT 3 X 15 or 30 then 15

cheers people! i jus did my 1st 7hours of cpp an was told the breaks are definately now 15 then 30 if split!!! an i am defecting everyday the no height indicator everyday,

donpablo:
cheers people! i jus did my 1st 7hours of cpp an was told the breaks are definately now 15 then 30 if split!!!

And have been for 34 months now.

nick2008:

1.15 All vehicles with an overall travelling height above 3 metres must have the maximum height of
the vehicle in feet and inches displayed inside the cab so that it is clearly visible to the driver.
(Regulation 10 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 as amended by
S.I. 1997 No 530)

There is a minimum height for the letters so just written down might not be legal.

Coffeeholic:

nick2008:

S.I. 1997 No 530)

There is a minimum height for the letters so just written down might not be legal.

yeah i know fella but cant find it at the moment… but it’s gotta be better than nothing I’ll see if i can find it later that way anyone can make their own up and carry it with them :wink:

Coffeeholic:

nick2008:

S.I. 1997 No 530)

40mm minimum height

opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/19970530.htm

The regulations from the Management :stuck_out_tongue:

DAF95XF:

garnerlives:

That must be because whoever is doing your ■■■■ y sis is a ■■■■ tard

I’ve had the same problem. First day driving the curtainside rigid and there’s no height indicator at. I knew it was completely barmy driving around without height indicators but it was the first job and I was running late. Also when I asked them for some straps to secure the loaded magnum pallets they told me they never fasten them. I also failed to report the missing indicator and I suspect it may have costed me the job. They either set a test trap for me or they are just cowboys.

as for a test trap…it has been known for daily check sheets to be printed with "trap"questions…to trap the guy who just ticks all the boxes without looking!