Is driving a no go for newcomers?

So I got my Class 2 License from the Army when I was leaving last may.

I’ve been driving class 2 ever since with agencies, constantly applying for full-time work. It seems that it’s near impossible to get into a good company, who have good equipment, stick to driving regulations and treat you well.

Luckily I’ve got my Class 1 course booked to start in March, but currently at this rate I’m about to start looking elsewhere, agencies are terrible, I get sent to the same place every time, multi-drop shop cagework, who even after working there as much as possible since around October 2016-Current have still not offered anything permanent.

I’ve been told it may be due to my age that I don’t get offered work at other places due to insurance (I’m 22) but it seems everywhere in Tyne and Wear that I apply to, either takes on old timers with way more experience, or just simply aren’t taking on New(ish) drivers.

Do you have to have ‘The face that fits’, I don’t complain with whatever work I do, when I end up doing 12+ Hours with no overtime rate, and still I get given around 3 days of work per week on average.

I have a great work ethic, always up to learn new things, do overtime, cover sickies, do everything correctly e.g. paperwork etc. But to no avail.

Is it time to look elsewhere?

Purely my belief, but I believe that if you’re happy and willing go do the P and H lorry driving shelf stacker work, then the agencies put you on a suckers list.

Mate I feel your pain! As an old git I can safely say that things were different when I was a fresh faced ex squaddie looking for work; agencies didn’t exist in them days and there was so much driving work out there that it was possible to get 5 different jobs in a week if you so desired.

None of this helps you however, but I would say that getting the right job nowadays involves an element of luck. Luck in being in the right place at the right time when the right Co needs the right driver. Unfortunately that could mean a waiting game in your case, so my advice would be to carry on as you are but keep your eyes and ears open and above all talk to people. Talk to customers you deliver to, talk to other drivers you encounter day to day etc.

I will say though, that as a young guy you are perfectly placed to choose a totally different career path if you feel that this game may not be for you. Trust me, if you’re disillusioned with it now then you’ll positively resent it in 20 years time.

Good luck anyway whichever you choose.

As I said on a newbie thread earlier today, always try to do your best even if it is a ■■■■■ job.

We came across a 23 year old, few months out of the army doing some casual yard work at another hauliers. Seemed decent enough, took him on, class one, Euro work, earns over 40k. Doesn’t suit everyone being away from home and its double man, not for hours. But it suits him and we are both happy.

So there are firms that take youngsters on. Wages in the NE aren’t paying as much generally as SE though. Try smaller firms that are more likely to have bosses that have driven themselves and don’t be afraid to go knock on doors. I hate advertising, I’d rather someone turn up on my door that looks clean, tidy and willing.

Good luck.

It’s a no go for the more intelligent ones.

Cazzum1337:
I’ve been told it may be due to my age that I don’t get offered work at other places due to insurance

Insurance doesn’t help, although it might surprise you that this isn’t all age related - it’s more down to “recent experience”. I was talking to a guy recently who’d beem driving for over 10 years, then had a 10 year gap and had found it hard to get back simply due to insurance companies seeing him as a newbie.

However, don’t despair, there are companies who’ll take you on and having the agency work behind you proves to them that you’re willing to stick the good with the bad. Cage work is usually bad, but it’s also the stuff no one else wants to do, thus they have to insure newer drivers to do it. It might also be that the agency know no one else will do that work, thus while they’ve got you, they’ll keep you on it.

Get at least 6 months experience and who knows what doors will open. I’m agency and it’s given me a wide range of work, but they do like to put you on the same contract.

Cazzum1337:
Luckily I’ve got my Class 1 course booked to start in March, but currently at this rate I’m about to start looking elsewhere, agencies are terrible, I get sent to the same place every time, multi-drop shop cagework, who even after working there as much as possible since around October 2016-Current have still not offered anything permanent.

Have you spoken to the TM there? by the sounds of things the client is asking for you, and is happy to keep you on the agency books. If you don’t ask them they will assume you are happy on the agency.

Old saying, Don’t ask don’t get!

the maoster:
None of this helps you however, but I would say that getting the right job nowadays involves an element of luck. Luck in being in the right place at the right time when the right Co needs the right driver. Unfortunately that could mean a waiting game in your case, so my advice would be to carry on as you are but keep your eyes and ears open and above all talk to people. Talk to customers you deliver to, talk to other drivers you encounter day to day etc.

^

Good advice right here.
Keep asking around and you’ll eventually find a start somewhere. Im going back 28 years now when i was 21 but Jack Richards took me on and i was their youngest driver so not sure it would be an insurance thing although having said that some policies restrict to a minimum of 25. I bought my own truck at 23 years old and was relatively easy to get insurance but not so sure what it would be like now.
Depends if you want to do distance work or relocate but there are opportunities in NI…

Insurance for under 25s for us is another £500 on the excess .

I was 54 when I passed my test, class 2 rapidly followed by class 1, but came across the same problem a lot of the better jobs wanted 2 years experience. I got a couple of jobs that suited me after a few months, they are there they just take some finding some times. Good luck and keep goimg.
p.s. My son was a squaddie and had similar problems when he left the army but now has his own courier firm and is doing well.

Where in the North East are you & who have you tried :question:

As there are some that take you on ok not the best but won’t be multi drop

Are you on Facebook if so join North East truckers it may help

Fresh freight have cat C Team Valley

SP Logistics Cramlington ( Steve )

SR Transport Washington (Savva)

Lescost Washington ( Gary )

But tbh not a lot atm due to time of year

When you get your class 1 try Drivers Direct Logistics if you don’t mind tramping work. They recently opened up somewhere between Teeside and Tyneside which isn’t too far from you and will take a driver with little experience.

I say you should stick it out till you’re 25 and then maybe look at your options. I firmly believe that getting a decent job in this game is purely right place at the right time. When a TM is stuck for a driver, all that age and experience ■■■■■■■■ goes right out of the window. I am speaking from experience. I am new to this game too, (Nearly 2 years in) and although I was ten years older than you when I stared I landed a full time job with good money by NE standards within 3 months of passing my class 2 and it was purely down to right place at the right time. I knew no one who drove trucks so had no way in but I put the effort in and signed up for loads of agencies (most are total ■■■■■■ and put my CV in at every logistics company I could find. I also looked for companies that haul their own goods which I think people forget about as sometimes they are easier to get into when you don’t fit the typical age and experience bracket.

Once you do this it is just a matter of waiting. If you hear nothing after a few months send out those CV’s again and maybe give them a call but I guarantee you at some point somewhere a good company is going to need a driver and your CV will be sitting there and may even be the only one they have! In the meantime you are gaining experience and think of it this way. By the time you hit the magical 25 mark you’re going to have 3 years experience and possibly be class 1 by then and by that point there will be few better employable lads than you.

If you do these things and have the right attitude I bet you will be surprised at how quickly a decent job comes along. Good luck.

trevHCS:

Cazzum1337:
I’ve been told it may be due to my age that I don’t get offered work at other places due to insurance

Insurance doesn’t help, although it might surprise you that this isn’t all age related - it’s more down to “recent experience”. I was talking to a guy recently who’d beem driving for over 10 years, then had a 10 year gap and had found it hard to get back simply due to insurance companies seeing him as a newbie.

However, don’t despair, there are companies who’ll take you on and having the agency work behind you proves to them that you’re willing to stick the good with the bad. Cage work is usually bad, but it’s also the stuff no one else wants to do, thus they have to insure newer drivers to do it. It might also be that the agency know no one else will do that work, thus while they’ve got you, they’ll keep you on it.

Get at least 6 months experience and who knows what doors will open. I’m agency and it’s given me a wide range of work, but they do like to put you on the same contract.

I have seen a job advertised that requires HGV 1 driving experience within past six months, not exactly helpful for anyone wanting to return to the industry after a break.

Did they offer you any support in your resettlement package or was driving as a career not mentioned?

I cannot fault my package as they pretty much did most of the leg work, got me in with a company that set me down the right path and treated me like a human and a member of the team, I could have just jumped straight in with my dad but I was determined to prove I could do it alone, but as fate would have it, dad had to retired to a desk and I had to take over the business, your age is kind of an achilles heal what with premiums and trust, although we have some young drivers who are more trusting than the old rope.

If driving is in your blood and you feel it’s all you want to do, keep at it! do not get swayed during the layby days, keep driving and keep sending out your CV to any company you come across and do not…DO NOT stop training or learning.

Wish you all the best of luck for the future.
Big Dave.

I live in Cramlington animal…

Got class2 , but there’s nowt round here unless you do the dregs of agency work…

Which is why I’m now deciding to do either my ADR, upgrade to class 1, or both…

Then work away tramping etc

My 21 year old son found a permanent Class 2 job in August less 6 weeks since passing his test and DCPC. Was his first job, hadn’t even done agency. He just knocked on doors, went on facebook, asked people he knew until he got one. Its pallet network local multidrop but he seems to like it and has ended up in a 15 plate which apparently is one of the newest rigids in the fleet.

fincham:
I have seen a job advertised that requires HGV 1 driving experience within past six months, not exactly helpful for anyone wanting to return to the industry after a break.

Didn’t stop me from getting work after a 5 year break even with a company who wanted that.

Goldfinger:
I live in Cramlington animal…

Got class2 , but there’s nowt round here unless you do the dregs of agency work…

Which is why I’m now deciding to do either my ADR, upgrade to class 1, or both…

Then work away tramping etc

Yep know but was different user name sorry

SP Logistics Cramlington ( ok not the best payer but not multi drop South Nelson ind est ( Steve Patrick ) has been know for him to put driver through test : South Nelson Rd, South Nelson Industrial Estate, Cramlington NE23 1WF
Phone: 01670 733334

DTS ( Shaun ) again not the best payer but will give newbies a start · 01670 735590

Fresh freight on team Vally decent pay again has been know for them to put drivers through test decent company 0191 4910505

Moody Cramlington sorry don’t know much about

If I was u mate I’d look into mobile cranes before jumping into class 1.

If you can get in touch with few lifting companies in your area.
Tell then you have a class 2 and willing to contribute what your going to pay for your class 1 I if there is a guaranteed employment at end of your training.

I started it about a year ago and don’t think I’d step foot in a truck again.

Far better hourly rate and T&C.