Is driving a no go for newcomers?

Fincham:

trevHCS:

Cazzum1337:
I’ve been told it may be due to my age that I don’t get offered work at other places due to insurance

Insurance doesn’t help, although it might surprise you that this isn’t all age related - it’s more down to “recent experience”. I was talking to a guy recently who’d beem driving for over 10 years, then had a 10 year gap and had found it hard to get back simply due to insurance companies seeing him as a newbie.

However, don’t despair, there are companies who’ll take you on and having the agency work behind you proves to them that you’re willing to stick the good with the bad. Cage work is usually bad, but it’s also the stuff no one else wants to do, thus they have to insure newer drivers to do it. It might also be that the agency know no one else will do that work, thus while they’ve got you, they’ll keep you on it.

Get at least 6 months experience and who knows what doors will open. I’m agency and it’s given me a wide range of work, but they do like to put you on the same contract.

I have seen a job advertised that requires HGV 1 driving experience within past six months, not exactly helpful for anyone wanting to return to the industry after a break.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LIE!!!..if you want to go for a job requiring that,then look for a haulage contractor that has recently went down the tubes and say you worked for them for the last year,got paid off when they went bust,hence now looking for a job…your not getting the job without the 6 month thing,so you cant lose if they don’t believe you…if they still have a website,print off something that looks like headed notepaper,and make your own reference from the boss…put your mates mobile number in for a contact so he can personally vouch for you if they decide to call.
I previously bought a house with mortgage some years ago in Ireland .every single piece of paperwork that i supplied was made by myself using web images,and scans of headed notepaper with the wrong phone numbers,and names etc…most office type places just need a sheet of paper to cover their backsides if something bounces back to them…as they say…who dares wins…but cant say anymore about that unless im in a rdc waiting room :wink:

I got my class 1 and ADR in the army and managed to get a job with BP straight away, I explained that I haven’t driven a truck since getting my license and they were fine with it. They said I would have no bad habits and could teach me to drive the way they wanted me to.