Dummy Spitting Episode Over Tolls

Today I was told to pay for the Dartford Tunnel out of my own pocket and claim it back later. Another driver said “tell 'em you’ve got no money on you, because if you do pay it, you’ll not get it back.” That’s what I did.

Tomorrow, I’ve got a Dartford ASDA run (I see they’re being awkward), just the wrong side of the Dartford Crossing. I’m seriousley considering turning up and not taking the job because of having to pay for the toll out of my own pocket. My first question will be: When do you get it (the money) back. If I don’t get a satisfactory answer, then the load will be staying where it is. Either that, or I’ll be spitting my dummy at everyone in sight at the Dartford crossing around 09-45 tomorrow morning. If you see an unmarked Merc Actros going ape, then it’s me :wink:.

The Woolwich ferry is always an option, and its free. Just think of all that overtime sitting in the queue to get on the boat :open_mouth: You could use it as a practice wait for the long wait you will have at Asda!!

Are you on agency?

If so I’d just stick it on the timesheet. I must admit I’ve been in vans whenever I’ve used it so it wasn’t too dear to fund from my own pocket up front.

I have had the same problem on Agency. A certain container carrier tried to get me to cross the severn bridge, I asked where the Tag was and they said I would have to pay and then claim it back…yeah right, I do not bank roll companies, If they want me to cross a bridge or park up for the night then they pay up front, Simple really. The answer I got was they dont have any petty cash, my answer…Not my problem mate, you don’t pay, I don’t go. If they were to send me home then I would still charge them for my time (8hrs), I detest cheapskate companies that expect you to pay for them. If you had to do the severn bridge 5 times in a week then thats £70 out of my pocket and a week before I have it back from the agency. I now also refuse to give them my mobile number unless they agree to pay £5 for the day for the privalige of using it…otherwise i use theirs, If they dont have one, well I see them when the job is done. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: This is a pet hate of mine.

I totally agree about mobiles there smcaul. That really takes the mickey, they know that nearly everybody will have one nowadays and even when they say “any problems call me and I’ll ring you back” it’s taking the ■■■■, especially when you are on pay as you go like I am and a short call can cost nearly as much as a longer one.

I find Its difficult getting Dartford Tunnel tolls back as they do not issue receipts. Company rules, no receipt no cash, so I make sure the timesheet is extended by an appropriate amount (including tax and handling fee…)

I wouldn’t turn down a days work over a toll, just maqke sure you get it back another way.

Calv

Andyroo:
I totally agree about mobiles there smcaul. That really takes the mickey, they know that nearly everybody will have one nowadays and even when they say “any problems call me and I’ll ring you back” it’s taking the [zb], especially when you are on pay as you go like I am and a short call can cost nearly as much as a longer one.

Tell them you’ll give them 2 rings, ring off then they ring you back. Thats the system we use. Works for us.

Calv

Calv:
I find Its difficult getting Dartford Tunnel tolls back as they do not issue receipts. Company rules, no receipt no cash, so I make sure the timesheet is extended by an appropriate amount (including tax and handling fee…)

I have tried that in the past with another container haulier, But when I asked them to sign the timesheet they refused to sign it or to pay it. So i just made sure that the next time I was supposed to work for them I turned up late - got to the drop very late - got back very late so making the TM have to stay behind, I generally messed them about, not the most mature thing to do but it sure did make me feel better :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Calv:

Andyroo:
I totally agree about mobiles there smcaul. That really takes the mickey, they know that nearly everybody will have one nowadays and even when they say “any problems call me and I’ll ring you back” it’s taking the [zb], especially when you are on pay as you go like I am and a short call can cost nearly as much as a longer one.

Tell them you’ll give them 2 rings, ring off then they ring you back. Thats the system we use. Works for us.

Calv

One company I worked for did that, it’s not exactly foolproof though and this was quite a large company that I think even might have sold mobile phones. :unamused:

Calv:

I wouldn’t turn down a days work over a toll, just maqke sure you get it back another way.

Calv

Surely they are aware of the fact that they are sending you on a journey where you need to cross the river, it’d be a petty ■■■■■■■■ TM that wouldn’t sign a timesheet in those circumstances. I’d ask him if he was being serious!

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with Tolls, particularly with Dartford, presumably because it is such a relatively minor charge. From where I am, the route M40, M25 Southern section v M45, M1, M25 Northern Section, Dartford Crossing, is actually 12km shorter, hence a fuel saving. Not much, but a saving nevertheless. When I use it, I book it, and they pay it…

I’m also on PAYG, therefore, on the rare occasions that I use my phone, I add it to my time sheet. I don’t claim for EVERY call, but, if I’ve had occasion to make repeated calls to sort out a problem, then I will claim 1 or 2 pounds, and this is accepted by the companies that I work for.

Last Autumn, I credited my phone with £25. I still have £9 credit. If I NEED to contact people, I text them to phone me. Simple.

It all depends on the quality of the company you’re working for. The Inland Revenue do not have a problem with the absence of receipts, so why should they.

Tell them at the booth that you have no money and they bill the company, it happened to me the other week :blush: :blush: :blush: I had 56p in my pocket! :blush:
Be prepared for them to ask what company you are with though dispite haaving TNT in big letters all over your trailer and your in uniform! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

liberance your going refuse a days work for a 3 quidtoll get real boy if they refuse to pay the agency will repay u

I must say,we have no problem at our company in them paying our tolls.

Yes,I agree,that we,as drivers shouldn’t have to fork out up front,when they know you have to go a certain way,but our lot pay up all the time,every time.Even for the Humber bridge,on the rare occasion we use it with 16’2" trailers. :open_mouth: Every bridge,tunnel etc,is just put on our expense sheet,and we get it next week.

The only thing our lot don’t pay for is maps,but there’s always a way around that. :wink:

Ken.

Calv:

Calv

Unless your mobile phones work differently over there, that ain’t a-gonna work. You get charged the same whether the call is incoming or outgoing. The only difference we have is that there is a $.10 connection fee.

BTW, don’t you get a certain # of free minutes? I get 400/ month for $40.

AlexxInNY:

Calv:

Calv

Unless your mobile phones work differently over there, that ain’t a-gonna work. You get charged the same whether the call is incoming or outgoing. The only difference we have is that there is a $.10 connection fee.

BTW, don’t you get a certain # of free minutes? I get 400/ month for $40.

Yep, Our phones work different, we only pay for outgoing calls, none of the silly paying for incoming or connection. And there are certain plans that you get free minutes on, but our cell phone pricing is vastly different from the US Alex.

Martin:
The Woolwich ferry is always an option, and its free. Just think of all that overtime sitting in the queue to get on the boat !

And of course you can pick up your ■■■■ and booze from the on board duty free shop :wink:

Our company finished with the Dart-Tag’s last year,but they omitted to tell the driver’s :unamused: and several of us were held up at the tolls whilst they reclaimed the tag’s.Very embarrasing. :blush:
We were then told to get a receipt or we wouldn’t get the money back!
I told the manager that they have never issued receipts at the Dartford crossing since it opened!
“Yes they do,all the Betz driver’s get receipts from there!” came the reply.
‘If they are,then they’re printing them themselves’ I said :wink:
Anyway,a few weeks passed and I asked if anyone had handed in a receipt yet for the Dartford crossing.
"No,they don’t give receipts’ was his rather meek reply :wink: :wink:

So I decided to get a tag of my own.I pay £20 a month,and for each crossing I make 21pence on every trip :sunglasses: :sunglasses: 'cos I still bill them for the full amount :wink:

And of course it saves keeping all that change with you and climbing across the cab to pay 'em :smiley: I mean,you don’t know who’s been handling the money before you do you! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Liberace:
Today I was told to pay for the Dartford Tunnel out of my own pocket and claim it back later. Another driver said “tell 'em you’ve got no money on you, because if you do pay it, you’ll not get it back.” That’s what I did.

Tomorrow, I’ve got a Dartford ASDA run

i’d be awkward back i’d go down the a12 and through the blackwell tunnel straight through on to the a2 down to the m25. i used to work for a container firm that wasnt keen on paying the dartford crossing so when i was going to the isle of grain i used to go that way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 2 can play at that game

u get what u give u give what u get

Calv:

Andyroo:

Calv

Had a mate working for a company that said that, but you can guess they always answered the phone after 1 ring.