Dart charge

Just curious.
I though it be a good idea to travel through Dartford tunnel about 4 30 last night.
Anyway was bumper to bumper.
Was a car In front of me a container infront of him.
Basically he was the jam in a truck sandwich.
Trafffic stop start for miles before and a good distance once we left the tunnel.

But will he have to pay the charge.
As how can a camera pick up his number plate?
And say I was to to tailgate another truck how would it pick my reg up?
I know it’s only 2.50 and not my money.
But got me curious surley they can’t read every single number plate In rush hour ?Or can they

I thought it was free between 10pm and 6am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is. Was going through at 4 30 pm .traffic was bumper to bumper.
And got me thinking is it even possible for the camera to read every number plate when cars are bunched up to each other

If you’re an infrequent user and pay using their PAYG facility, you can pay for a single crossing up-front. If you leave that balance on your account (it’ll remain valid for 12 months, I think) you can check on-line to see whether or not you’ve been clocked (and charged).

I believe there are several cameras anyway, so you’d have to be very lucky to avoid all of them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Like a lot of companies we have an account which I assume is pre pay, but I have seen that during especially heavy traffic (most days then!) that I’m occasionally not billed for both ways so I assume that because of surrounding vehicles the ANPR hasn’t picked me up.

I only know this as the gaffer once jokingly asked if I’d got my duty frees on the ferry. I had no idea what he was talking about so he showed me that they’d only billed the Co for one crossing despite doing two.

I’ve been through a few times in my car and not been charged, generally because I tuck myself in between a couple of trucks so the ANPR can’t see me. :stuck_out_tongue: