in cab cameras

albion:
Hello David

I run a small haulage company. We don’t have inward facing cameras and no intention of having them either. From casual in the tearoom type chats, it’s the older drivers that don’t like inward more than they young ones, though I’d say it’s a matter of degrees, the young ones don’t want them either, just they are less vehement about it.

As for driver shortage, the numbers say there is in terms of new drivers replacing those retiring/giving up, and there is anecdotal evidence that some employers struggle to recruit. However, as long as there is a pool of drivers from Poland etc willing to come and drive, then I don’t see that there is a proper shortage. If there were, then you wouldn’t see wages at £9.00 an hour for a Class 1 driver in Manchester, newbies wouldn’t be on the newbie board moaning they can’t get a job. Of course that might change with Brexit, but then again it might not, who knows!

Hello Albion - I read you, but that poll is among young people already employed in the industry, not the millions of young people who point blank refuse to join the industry. I’ve had this discussion before.

I hope you accept this skit in the harmless manor by which its sent. Allow me to recall how the conversation went lol.

Someone says ‘look, that young person is driving with telematics and an inward facing camera’

Answer ‘and how many more young people are doing the same?’

Someone says ‘well not many’

Answer ‘but there are millions of young people that could take up driving. Why don’t they want to do it?’

Someone says ‘a whole host of reasons like nights away, low pay, poor treatment, long hours, overbearing employers, surveillance cameras pointing at them, poor diet on the road, my girlfriend wants me at home, target driven performance through telematics, heavy fines, miserable co-workers, poor management etc.’

Answer ‘so do inward facing cameras and telematics put young recruits off then?’

Someone says ‘yes, they are a contributing factor along with many others.

Answer ‘so young people that are not in the industry are put off by inward facing cameras and telematics?’

Someone ‘yes, big time. The factors that put them off vary by degrees though. However, it’s only the young drivers working in the industry that we actually see who is and who isn’t prepared to work with inward facing cameras and telematics. These drivers only account for a tiny fraction of young people that could, under more favourable conditions, possibly drive for a living.’

Answer ‘so let me get it straight – there are millions of young people that could drive a lorry for a living but only a fraction choose to do so?’

Someone ‘Yes.’

Answer ‘And of that fraction of young drivers, some of them refuse to drive with an inward facing camera?’

Someone ‘Yes.’

Answer ‘so there are millions of young people that refuse to join the industry for all sorts or reasons including inward facing cameras and telematics plus the young drivers in the industry who also currently refuse to drive with inward facing cameras and telematics. How many is that then?’

Someone ‘Millions.’

Answer ‘How many young drivers don’t mind inward facing cameras and telematics?’

Someone ‘not many at all. They’re so small in numbers that they are a tiny minority among young people as a whole. Young people don’t join the industry for a variety of things including inward facing cameras and telematics.’

Wages. This can of worms. Basically, here’s one explanation. The demographic age of the majority of drivers is about 40 years old. If the drivers partner works and the kids have left home then most drivers of this age would like more money but they can justify the stagnation of wages because their own lifestyle and decreasing responsibilities gives then the margins to do so. It’s this huge block of 40 years and above drivers that I say keep the wages low. They say ‘oh yea, its terrible but my house is paid for and my car is too. I have a private pension and my missis is a manager at ASDA and my son lives in France so we have cheap holidays. My Dad died and left me a lot of money blah blah if you get my drift lol.’

Young drivers will probably rent.