In cab camera's

we recently received a letter each stating that in cab camera’s are being covered up,all the new vehicles are fitted with them except mine,apparently the camera records what happens in the event of an accident or other incident,to see if the driver was in the wrong or not ie on the mobile,i was told that they cannot see what else we are doing as it only works in the event of said incidents,is this correct as I don’t particularly like the idea of my privacy being invaded,as I said I haven’t got one yet and i’m hoping they forget to put one in,although it can be used to clear a driver of blame in an incident I still think it’s wrong,they say they cannot see the normal things that we do but we only have an employers word for that.

the forward facing dashcams at my work were only used to check on accidents or complaints but they were recording all the time

the in cab ones must record constantly too…bit late to start recording after it detects a sudden stop!

yeah,my thought’s exactly,it is an invasion of privacy if it records everything you do,they said it’s an insurance thing

truckman020:
we recently received a letter each stating that in cab camera’s are being covered up,all the new vehicles are fitted with them except mine,apparently the camera records what happens in the event of an accident or other incident,to see if the driver was in the wrong or not ie on the mobile,i was told that they cannot see what else we are doing as it only works in the event of said incidents,is this correct as I don’t particularly like the idea of my privacy being invaded,as I said I haven’t got one yet and i’m hoping they forget to put one in,although it can be used to clear a driver of blame in an incident I still think it’s wrong,they say they cannot see the normal things that we do but we only have an employers word for that.

It’s not right to put a camera in such a confined space, it says we are watching you and only you, so it’s the same thing as putting a camera in the bog its wrong
It’s not the same thing as having a camera in a big office or in hotel hallways, its a invasion of your privacy big time and me for one would never ever drive a truck with one

It is, of course, a gigantic lie that they won’t use it to spy on you.

They are there for insurance alright - insurance against anyone holding the company responsible for a crash. If it looks like the Driver is at fault, the driver will get blamed as publicly as possible. If it looks like the Driver did everything right, the company will proudly publicise how good their training is.

Stand by for the “if you’re not doing anything wrong, you e got nothing to hide” brigade who will be along shortly to tell you how much peace of mind it gives them to have Big Brother’s gaze on them at all times.

They will record constantly but only save in the event of an accident or manual button press if its like the ones I drive.

I have set them off a few times, harsh braking or heavy on a speed bump but I don’t actually think they check the recording unless the driver reports an issue.

I left my job partly because of the dashcams/isotrak. Having a cam pointed at my face would just be a no.

having said that it was a ■■■■ job so YMMV!

Live feeds are an option on these camera systems afaik. I’m not overly bothered about indash cams… it’s just the way it’s going isn’t it, insurance etc etc… but any company that has the live feed option I will not be working for end of.

Hand your notice in with immediate effect stating driver facing cameras as the reason. This may sound flippant but it really is the thin end of the wedge. It’s not insurance companies demanding it, it’s overpaid and underworked H&S/compliance managers desperately coming up with reasons to keep their non jobs.

Once the goods stop moving the reality will kick in.

Dont believe a word of it. The camera cant possibly be triggered by a driver using a phone, its going to be recording as soon as the ignition is activated. A sad time when drivers have to be spied on like children not being trusted. If its accidents they want to record then why not just a forward facing dash cam? Time to look for somewhere else to work methinks…

Apparentlly they are activated all the time, but only record in an event ie harsh braking, collision, sudden stop, they record 7 secs before and 7 secs after the event.
We had them fitted, but only about 3 of us kicked off about them, and true to form the rest just accepted them :unamused: .
So being that we who had the balls to speak up were in the minority they were imposed on us.
I’ve no probs with the out facing, but the inward facing one is tactically covered…■■■■ them. :smiling_imp:
We are assured that they can not instantly watch you randomly, and I’ve checked that with the manufactureres on tinternet.

We will get the usual subservient pathetic souls on here saying ‘‘Well if you’re doing nothing wrong’’ etc etc, :unamused: , but you can guarantee as sure as hell that for every once they clear you, there will be 5 times that they implicate you, so as I said mine is covered for that reason.

slowlane:

They are there for insurance alright - insurance against anyone holding the company responsible for a crash. If it looks like the Driver is at fault, the driver will get blamed as publicly as possible. If it looks like the Driver did everything right, the company will proudly publicise how good their training is.

Stand by for the “if you’re not doing anything wrong, you e got nothing to hide” brigade who will be along shortly to tell you how much peace of mind it gives them to have Big Brother’s gaze on them at all times.

Unfortunately, as recent publicity showed, plenty ARE doing stuff wrong and DO have plenty to hide. Too many idiots with lorry licences are costing this industry an awful lot of money. It’s no surprise companies/Insurers are taking steps to protect themselves. Lowest common denominator etc. etc. etc.
The race to the bottom continues and it’s only the drivers to blame.

Captain Caveman 76:

slowlane:

Unfortunately, as recent publicity showed, plenty ARE doing stuff wrong and DO have plenty to hide. Too many idiots with lorry licences are costing this industry an awful lot of money. It’s no surprise companies/Insurers are taking steps to protect themselves. Lowest common denominator etc. etc. etc.

You sound as if you condone them bud, but just wait until you have a crash that aint your fault, but you are recorded quite innocently yawning, and they blame you for the injuries or death as you were proven to be driving under fatigue.
Be careful what you wish for. :bulb:

Captain Caveman 76:

slowlane:

Road Transport has been going since the day dot and things have worked without this kind of ■■■■ intrusion. Theres plenty of wrong doing in all walks of industry manual and white collar but others dont have to put up with this ■■■■ except truck drivers it seems. Let this happen and next you’ll be seeing compulsory body cams as well…

robroy:

Captain Caveman 76:

slowlane:

You sound as if you condone them bud, but just wait until you have a crash that aint your fault, but you are recorded quite innocently yawning, and they blame you for the injuries or death as you were proven to be driving under fatigue.
Be careful what you wish for. :bulb:

Quite the opposite. We’ve had new cameras installed that can be live streamed to the office. I asked if there was a driver facing one, and if the answer is yes, I’ll hand my notice in now. I know for a fact that the other drivers here wont back me up (they havent in the past), so that would be my only option.

I was told there were no plans to install them.

Hate to say it after all the anti Union stuff on here lately, but I will anyway.
If drivers had a proper and powerful union (eg the Railway) this is a classic example of the ■■■■■■■■ that drivers would not have to endure.
It would never have got off the ground :bulb: …just saying like. :neutral_face:

We’ve got them now (along with the red seat-belts because drivers were being picked up left right and centre for not wearing them when they actually were). I spent the first 3 weeks pressing the new button on the dash and saying “What’s this for? There’s ■■■■ all happening!” I was on leave when they were fitted and didn’t get the introductory “how to” brief. How was I supposed to know what the button’s for?!

There’s also someone somewhere sitting at a PC, eating crisps all day looking to pick faults every time one pings up. He/she doesn’t like Country music full blast* or drivers sticking 2 fingers up and shouting “■■■■ off” in the unit’s direction…apparently. Someone who gets upset at the language of a trooper, but is willing to witness someone get mangled in a smash? What’s all that about?

Due to the nature of some areas we go into, there is, however, an on/off switch and, just like the A75 is reported to be, I think mine’s haunted. It does “certain things” all by itself. I’m not having my ultimate demise recorded for posterity, nor am I having half of Head Office watch it.

• That one wasn’t me btw, I’d never admit to that!

truckman020:
I don’t particularly like the idea of my privacy being invaded

Your privacy isn’t being invaded because you are in your workplace. If your employer wants to put a camera there to monitor that workplace then they’re entirely within their rights to do so. If you don’t like it you are entirely within your rights to leave.

Very Common in New Zealand. They’re all over the place.

It sickens and depresses me how humans passively accept an ever encroaching totalitarian society. I began driving lorries in 2001, and the only surveillance we had were paper tachos. Now we’ve got digital tachos, telematics, trackers, forward facing cameras, random drug and alcohol tests, and of course inward facing cameras (sometimes more than 1)… with in cab microphones. That employers can peer at many aspects of your body, inside and out, and all your movements, sounds, and behaviours, at work, and to an extent out of work, at will, is is spine chilling. This has encroached on us in just over a decade. Think about that for a moment. The power relation between employer and employee these days is heinous, and most people don’t seem to realise how employers have become the frontline agents of social control. We’re being controlled like sheep. Can’t even have a single cheeky spliff on the first day of a 2 week holiday, because on your first day back some twunt drives into you, you get drug tested - whoosh, there goes your job.

What of the next decade? What of all that recorded data? Not just from driving your lorry, but your browsing history, your political persuasion, your Fakebook posts, your ■■■■■■ preferences, to name a few. And what happens if a rather nasty government happens to land power, who, is totalitarian by nature? A government who take a rather dim view of dissenters, or those who they suddenly label dissenters. The point I’m making is, those who say “if you’re doing nothing wrong you’ve got nothing to worry about” are naive and fail to see that what is considered right today may not be by those who are in power tomorrow. Survelillance should always be resisted, because those who it is imposed upon are often not the ones who benefit from it.

As far as I’m concerned, knowing a camera with a live feed is pointing at me, my psychological state will be affected too much to drive. The reason I got into lorry driving is to be on my own, away from people, and prying eyes. The job represented freedom (of sorts) for a long time - a prime value of mine. But not now. For me, these cameras have overstepped the last frontier of privacy and freedom this job had, and I have recently taken the decision to leave the industry once I’m trained in something else. Call me a prima donna if you must, but I think deeply, and feel a deep sense of rage at the way people are apathetic about the exact things they shouldn’t be. In cab cameras are one of them - not in isolation, but as part of a wider agenda of social control.