Concerts

Given Robroy’s admission to his guilty pleasure, but not being enough of a fan to see them in concert what are the best and not so much worse but more bands you aren’t quite so keen on admitting to that you went to see live.
My best was the Stone Roses live in Dublin a few summers back open air good weather plenty of drink and the band sounding as good as in their early days.
Naffest was back in 86 seeing The real thing live in Lubbeck in Germany they weren’t really interested in the gig and the venue was pretty poor, only went as it meant getting in with a nurse from BMH Rinteln sometimes these sacrifices have to be made. :smiley:

Ok here goes in my much varied tastes
:smiley:
Steve Harley Cockney Rebel…Newcastle in 70s
Sutherland Brothers…yeh I know…Who? :smiley:
Quiver…as above.
Geordie…Brian Johnston of AC/DC was lead singer.
David Coverdale…ex Deep Purple and Whitesnake.
Joe Perry project…Aerosmith lead guitarist.
The Sweet in 80s just before Brian Connoly died (don’t laugh they were very ‘rocky’ live.
ELO.
Spandau Ballet…again, don’t laugh. :smiley:
Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash (Lemmy from Motorhead lead singer)
Happy Mondays and Black Grape (both Shaun Ryder’s bands)
Free and Bad Co…both Paul Roger’s as lead singer.
The Eagles ust before Glen Frey died…best band I’ve seen ever.
Scott Gorham (ex Thin Lizzy lead guitarist)
Rod Stewart.
Oh yeh, Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball Jazzband with Humphrey Littleton.(told you it was varied)…at a jazz concert, got a free ticket sponsored by Carlsberg, complimentary beer all night. :sunglasses:
And others I can not remember.

For sheer value for money: Uriah Heep at Guildford Civic Hall, early 70’s. Can’t really think of any I feel guilty about seeing, but the worst gig for me was Genesis at Oxford around the same time, I fell asleep zzzzzzzzzz! :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
For sheer value for money: Uriah Heep at Guildford Civic Hall, early 70’s. Can’t really think of any I feel guilty about seeing, but the worst gig for me was Genesis at Oxford around the same time, I fell asleep zzzzzzzzzz! :unamused:

Pete.

Early Genesis when Peter Gabriel was lead singer was an acquired taste to say the least…ok they were crap :laughing: , along the lines of Rick Wakeman and YES type of crap. I reckon.
Then when Phil Collins took over and they became more commercial, that’s when I really liked them, in fact one of my favourite tracks of any band is Abacab.
youtu.be/6CT04i1ot78

Never saw them live, but I think they were reforming and due to tour this year.

Nice one Mazzer…love it!

First live band was The Nice (Keith Emerson) Saw ELP several times at later dates.

The Who (Keith Moon days) :smiley:

Dragged along to MUD by silly girlfriend :blush:

Jethro Tull . several times.

Led Zeppelin x 2

Deep Purple. several times.

Marmalade. reformed in the late 80’s

Ray Davies (of the Kinks)

The Eagles

The Stones x 4

Paul McCartney (newest band)

Steve Marriot (late 80’s)

Cher. pretty crap.

Status Quo x 2

Culture Club. :blush: bloody good actually. :laughing:

and a few more that don’t immediately spring to mind.

PS.

ZZ Top

Brian Adams

Lead singer from Free.

jakethesnake:
Lead singer from Free.

Paul Rogers…also of Bad Co, (I saw them at Manchester about 8 years ago I think it was)
He also was lead singer with Queen for a time believe it or not.

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Lead singer from Free.

Paul Rogers…also of Bad Co, (I saw them at Manchester about 8 years ago I think it was)

Yeah, that’s him, name escaped me. Remembered Paul Kossof (the guy that died but not the other bugger.) :laughing:

Saw the last 3 I mentioned all at once at Milton Keynes Bowl.

Oh you just reminded me. Saw Brian May Band. Shame never saw Queen, Plenty opportunity but woman and alcohol seemed to get in the way. :laughing:

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Lead singer from Free.

Yeah, that’s him, name escaped me. Remembered Paul Kossof (the guy that died but not the other bugger.) :laughing:

Saw the last 3 I mentioned all at once at Milton Keynes Bowl.

Oh you just reminded me. Saw Brian May Band. Shame never saw Queen, Plenty opportunity but woman and alcohol seemed to get in the way. :laughing:

My mate saw Queen at MK…was it 87 ish??.
When he was trying for tickets he asked me and I said no :unamused: I was busy with my own truck
at the time.
Always regretted that, but hey. :neutral_face:

My mate saw Queen at MK…was it 87 ish??.
When he was trying for tickets he asked me and I said no :unamused: I was busy with my own truck
at the time.
Always regretted that, but hey. :neutral_face:
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i recently went for a night watching the queen tribute band…

… right freds dead… :open_mouth:

I once saw a Jam tribute band in a pub in Derbyshire who were actually far better than The Jam, and I’ve seen them 4 times!

Last concert I went to was last summer at Wembley and it was Pink. You may scoff but it was without doubt the best concert I’ve ever been to. Didn’t realise however that she was such a gay icon, it was great fun there but slightly surreal for me and our lass being the only straight couple there! Oh, and at £24 for two (plastic) bottles of Bud it was a tad expensive too.

the maoster:
I once saw a Jam tribute band in a pub in Derbyshire who were actually far better than The Jam, and I’ve seen them 4 times!

Last concert I went to was last summer at Wembley and it was Pink. You may scoff but it was without doubt the best concert I’ve ever been to. Didn’t realise however that she was such a gay icon, it was great fun there but slightly surreal for me and our lass being the only straight couple there! Oh, and at £24 for two (plastic) bottles of Bud it was a tad expensive too.

Yep that was my point on the Marti Pellow thread, ie…keep an open mind on music and artists, whatever you like listening to is ‘‘good’’ :bulb: …and it does not matter a ■■■■ if some take the ■■■■ or not.

Best bands I’ve seen are madness,prodigy and resistance 77.

Dammed.suzie q.doctor and the medics.motorhead.tull were all stuff I can vaguely remember from 90’s rock festivals.

Worst I ever saw was beats international feat lindy leyton.
Not really my cup of tea…although one of the band members offered me drugs in the toilet.

The Cure, a few times.
Slayer, twice.
Killing Joke
Waterboys
The Cult
Metallica several times
Monsters of Rock 1991 in Nijmegen
AC/DC
Metallica
Black Crows
Panterra
King (I know… I blame Rob…)
Motorhead at Glasto.
The Who at Glasto, with Roger Daltrey failing to hit the high notes…
Alabama Three.

I spend an evening at Glastonbury listening to all the techno and trance, which is not normally my thing, but in that setting it was bloody brilliant.

Most recently was Tool in February, really good show.
Best ever was AC/DC about ten years ago and they rocked for a bunch of pensioners.
Worst ever for me has to be Chris de Burgh, truely awful.

AndieHyde:

Saw him in Munster Germany in the 80’s and thought he was quite good tbh. I suppose we can all have an off night though.

The Showhawk Duo last year at Liverpool.

Check them out on the tube of you. Quality.

the maoster:

AndieHyde:

Saw him in Munster Germany in the 80’s and thought he was quite good tbh. I suppose we can all have an off night though.

Maybe. It was in New Zealand.
Started off with all the classics, lady in red and such.
Second half was just rebel songs, even the Kiwis were like, what is going on? This ■■■■■.

A few more I missed out…

Tyrannosaurus Rex. Pre T Rex
Procul Harum
Ten Years After
Taste (Rory Gallacher)
Alex Harvey Band x 2
10cc. A band I was never really into in the day but saw them about 4 years ago and they were musically spot on.
Andy Fairweather Lowe. (Amen Corner)
Thin Lizzy x 2

Just remembered another one…The ‘Creme de la menthe’ of bands Rodney. :laughing:

Saw the…wait for it

Nolan Sisters in Blackpool in 1980. :sunglasses:
:laughing: :laughing:

In mitigation they were supporting Freddie Starr at an afternoon show.
I was deffo…‘‘In the mood for dancing’’ :laughing:

Off now to work on re.establishing my Street Cred. :blush:
:laughing:

Can anyone do better than that one…Aqua anybody??..Dollar? :smiley:

robroy:
Just remembered another one…The ‘Creme de la menthe’ of bands Rodney. :laughing:

Saw the…wait for it

Nolan Sisters in Blackpool in 1980. :sunglasses:
:laughing: :laughing:

In mitigation they were supporting Freddie Starr at an afternoon show.
I was deffo…‘‘In the mood for dancing’’ :laughing:

Off now to work on re.establishing my Street Cred. :blush:
:laughing:

Can anyone do better than that one…Aqua anybody??..Dollar? :smiley:

This lockdown isn’t doing you any good man :laughing: