Dire Straits

Relax :slight_smile: talking the most excellent Mark Knopfler.Just heard his epic-Telegraph Road through some Cambridge Audio melomania buds.Pretty ■■■■ awesome.Not a respecter of uk establishment and its baubles but should anyone be worthy of a K it would be this majestic gentleman,his unique,hen-clucking trademark guitar style allied to a dignified,unpretentious temprement is national treasure status,grade A.

Those buds really dig the detail out from most music.Telegraph Road becomes almost a spiritual experience,ditto anything from Clannad.

manalishi:
Relax :slight_smile: talking the most excellent Mark Knopfler.Just heard his epic-Telegraph Road through some Cambridge Audio melomania buds.Pretty ■■■■ awesome.Not a respecter of uk establishment and its baubles but should anyone be worthy of a K it would be this majestic gentleman,his unique,hen-clucking trademark guitar style allied to a dignified,unpretentious temprement is national treasure status,grade A.

Those buds really dig the detail out from most music.Telegraph Road becomes almost a spiritual experience,ditto anything from Clannad.

Another member of the Knopfler Appreciator Society then Manalishi . That man is legendary , so many different genres , he can make anything sound perfect . I just type his name into Tube , pop the ear buds in and luxuriate in the sounds until 'er indoors drags me back to reality on some pretence . I agree that Telegraph Road is one of his finest creations , I’ve listened to it so often that I have every note fixed in my mind . Enjoy my friend , Dave

Private Investigations through my old JVC Super A amp and Celestion Dittons one end of the room and Tannoys the other.Only when the neighbours aren’t in. :smiley:

If I had the bread,I’d be equipped with a Krell amp,or maybe one of Naims fine systems.It’s no exaggeration to state the superiority of uk audio products.I had the pleasure of owning an Arcam multi-cd changer years ago but even getting up to change one of the six cd,s proved too taxing :slight_smile: when in the zone of musical nirvana,so with the constant quality improvement of bluetooth reproduction,aptx espescially,I’m having to make do with bose soundlink which is not up there on the mountain top with Krell/Naim exactly,but by eck the melomania buds kick some sonic ■■■,partnered with them.Cliche time but you hear stuff hitherto concealed through these babies.Led Zeps,-“how many more times” springs to mind.

rigsby:

manalishi:

Another member of the Knopfler Appreciator Society then Manalishi . That man is legendary , so many different genres , he can make anything sound perfect . I just type his name into Tube , pop the ear buds in and luxuriate in the sounds until 'er indoors drags me back to reality on some pretence . I agree that Telegraph Road is one of his finest creations , I’ve listened to it so often that I have every note fixed in my mind . Enjoy my friend , Dave

Yes a big fan.Clapton, himself defers to Knopflers immense talent.He didn’t have the ego issues as I believe he comes from an educated but fairly economically humble Tyneside background and suffers from maybe being bracketed in perception with the 80s…less than…top notch…,musical quality of that particular era imho.In any sane world there should be a bronze commissioned for the man in place of that rusting monstrosity sitting by the A19.Maybe throw in FerryStingRea as a tribute to Tynesides fine sons. :wink: Great yt clip of Knopfler demoing his guitar collection.

I have a 6 disc player in the car , cue 6 knopfler discs , I did have some AKUS on there but they got superseded . Only play them in the car when I’m alone as swmbo is musically retarded .

I like to use old fashioned “cans” as the in ear things really irritate my ears .
Maybe having it loud enough to still be ringing an hour after stopping is the reason that I have some hearing loss on the left .
Playing in a 9 piece jazz rock band beats any recorded music !
8 pro musicians and me as an enthusiastic 16/17 year old in the 70s .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
I like to use old fashioned “cans” as the in ear things really irritate my ears .
Maybe having it loud enough to still be ringing an hour after stopping is the reason that I have some hearing loss on the left .

Respect duly sent.Playing a musical instrument really takes music appreciation to a whole new dimension.I’m more of a camp-fire guitar picker myself and with the huge range of you- tube-tutors,I’m making massive strides in progressing from the basic Beatles n Stones catalogue to the higher slopes of attainment.Just nailed Greg Lakes-“from the beginning” last week, courtesy of a brilliant,no-nonsense, American tutor on y.Really helps things along.Currently labouring on Mcartneys-“Mother Natures Son” beautiful song in standard tuning.
Had to raise the white flag with Lyndsey Buckinghams-“Never going back again” :open_mouth: very tricky ,Travis-Picking pattern from another…Vastly underated minstrel (Fleetwood Mac)

Another thing that amuses me is when you really listen to the Beatles-"Hey Jude; as the song goes into-"la la la,la la la la chorus mode,you can hear Mcartney uttering the “f…k.n hell” line and whenever you subsequently hear it on the radio,makes you wonder how the hell it avoids the censors :smiley: Good audio equipment really reveals these little quirks I find.

manalishi:

grumpyken52:

Respect duly sent.Playing a musical instrument really takes music appreciation to a whole new dimension.I’m more of a camp-fire guitar picker myself and with the huge range of you- tube-tutors,I’m making massive strides in progressing from the basic Beatles n Stones catalogue to the higher slopes of attainment.Just nailed Greg Lakes-“from the beginning” last week, courtesy of a brilliant,no-nonsense, American tutor on y.Really helps things along.Currently labouring on Mcartneys-“Mother Natures Son” beautiful song in standard tuning.
Had to raise the white flag with Lyndsey Buckinghams-“Never going back again” :open_mouth: very tricky ,Travis-Picking pattern from another…Vastly underated minstrel (Fleetwood Mac)

Another thing that amuses me is when you really listen to the Beatles-"Hey Jude; as the song goes into-"la la la,la la la la chorus mode,you can hear Mcartney uttering the “[zb].n hell” line and whenever you subsequently hear it on the radio,makes you wonder how the hell it avoids the censors :smiley: Good audio equipment really reveals these little quirks I find.

Not so great these days as due to a stroke 11 years ago I have difficulty retaining anything new . Spend a week learning something new and a week later it’s gone from the memory added to a pretty significant injury to my left ring finger squished in some hydraulic equipment 30 years ago that stopped me playing for many years .
I grew up surrounded by music as dad was a professional musician in the forces but also played with many famous stars , he played trombone, euphonium and bass guitar . Both John Williams and Herby Flowers were friends of dads so I certainly had talented individuals to push me in the early years .
I am off to collect my first 6 string electro acoustic later , I have a 12 string electro acoustic and have played 12 string for many years along with the regular Stratocaster, les paul, and epiphone 250 and a Tanglewood long kneck bass .

Dire Straights are very underrated.

grumpyken52:

manalishi:

grumpyken52:

Another thing that amuses me is when you really listen to the Beatles-"Hey Jude; as the song goes into-"la la la,la la la la chorus mode,you can hear Mcartney uttering the “[zb].n hell” line and whenever you subsequently hear it on the radio,makes you wonder how the hell it avoids the censors :smiley: Good audio equipment really reveals these little quirks I find.

Not so great these days as due to a stroke 11 years ago I have difficulty retaining anything new . Spend a week learning something new and a week later it’s gone from the memory added to a pretty significant injury to my left ring finger squished in some hydraulic equipment 30 years ago that stopped me playing for many years .
I grew up surrounded by music as dad was a professional musician in the forces but also played with many famous stars , he played trombone, euphonium and bass guitar . Both John Williams and Herby Flowers were friends of dads so I certainly had talented individuals to push me in the early years .
I am off to collect my first 6 string electro acoustic later , I have a 12 string electro acoustic and have played 12 string for many years along with the regular Stratocaster, les paul, and epiphone 250 and a Tanglewood long kneck bass .

Sorry to hear of your health travails bro.Very impressed with the Woody and Herb connections,ditto the Master himself.JW`s, rendition of Stanley Myers-“Portrait” has to be one of the most haunting/healing guitar pieces available to humanity,outside of Cavatina.Can’t boast of any high-end musical affiliations apart from buying a pint for “Guitar George Burowski” :smiley: …the dude Knopfler name checks in Sultans,when he did a gig at my,then local ale house,The Witchwood yonks ago.
Love your axes there chap.Are you going down the Martin or Taylor route for your acoustic choice perchance?

manalishi:

grumpyken52:

manalishi:

grumpyken52:

Sorry to hear of your health travails bro.Very impressed with the Woody and Herb connections,ditto the Master himself.JW`s, rendition of Stanley Myers-“Portrait” has to be one of the most haunting/healing guitar pieces available to humanity,outside of Cavatina.Can’t boast of any high-end musical affiliations apart from buying a pint for “Guitar George Burowski” :smiley: …the dude Knopfler name checks in Sultans,when he did a gig at my,then local ale house,The Witchwood yonks ago.
Love your axes there chap.Are you going down the Martin or Taylor route for your acoustic choice perchance?

Nah it’s only a cheapie just to see how I get on with one . I do mess about buying neglected guitars and bringing them back and or up dating or upgrading them .
That Tanglewood bass was very sorry for itself having sat in a dusty garage-workshop for several years and was several shades darker due to the grime and staining of smoke . A clean and service and set it up and it now plays very well and I enjoy messing about using my effects and wah peddles . I shall rig it up for the F1 theme tune for the start of the season .
The black les paul has been updated from a sad 80s spec to the current set up and I am going to change the pick up covers for matt black ones .
The cheap Stratocaster is red and white ( Hank Marvin style ) at the moment. I plan to go grey tech metallic satin with black and grey tortoiseshell pick guard with chrome knobs and pick ups .
Then I will look for a hollow body Les Paul to do a cherry red metalflake body with gold hardware and accessories .
Keeps me occupied since I had to stop work .

Sounds good on the Strat front,long as the necks maple.I always wince at the dark rosewood variant.Just doesn’t cut it in the aesthetics department.Although I guess it could have a different playability effect.Sounds eccentric but I wear a black silk motorcycle,liner glove,I find it aids swiftness up the neck playing,I cut the finger parts off said glove,plus it keeps it clean from clammy mitts.Could be a trademark when I eventually challenge Knopflers crown. :laughing: