Bowie

Seems like no one has bothered but I have to say a fond adieu to one of our finest musicians,one of us,working class but sweet jesus what a towering rennaissance man,and he even refused a knighthood which puts him well above Mcartney,Elton and Jagger in the credibility stakes.
Farewell David,thanks for your glorious presence and thanks for-Rebel Rebel,Starman,Lady Grinning Soul,Queen ■■■■■,All The Young Dudes,Oddity,Ashes To Ashes.You were the real deal.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133796#p2097542

:blush: Istand corrupted,glad its been acknowledged.Ta bud

Someone on the radio said his first recording fronting a band was in 1964, :open_mouth:
It dawned on me that every major event in my life from about 11 yrs old in 1969, to date I could associate with a Bowie track at the time. I never realised how relavent he was in my life in that way, even though I could not call myself a ‘super fan’ of his, I did like a lot of his stuff very much.
The guy was a unarguably a legend in terms of music.

theres an amazing film from the 80.s called Christiana F that shows a group of German junkies following the great man during a european tour he was doing at the time,very dark but neatly encapsulates the mystique that sorrounded him.Just spare us from any tribute gig with current crapola bands attempting a credibility by association exercise.To quote colonel kurtz-“Oh the horror” {apococalpse now}

robroy:
Someone on the radio said his first recording fronting a band was in 1964, :open_mouth:
It dawned on me that every major event in my life from about 11 yrs old in 1969, to date I could associate with a Bowie track at the time. I never realised how relavent he was in my life in that way, even though I could not call myself a ‘super fan’ of his, I did like a lot of his stuff very much.

We are fortunate to have had the mans vast canon of quality to echo our own lives,can,t see the current pox of bed wetter bearded hipster wimps,currently polluting the airwaves,having the same effect,Sam Smith,olly morrs ad nauseum,they make Westlife sound like the Beatles.

perhaps he may best be remembered by the immortal words of one of his most famous songs as sang on a friday t time on crackerjack by peter glaze and pip hinton…quote…ashes to ashes,funk your funkey,major toms a cheeky monkey… :slight_smile:

I say “meh.” Didn’t like his music, and thought that Labyrinth was a load of Fraggle Rock inspired tosh.

manalishi:
:oops: Istand corrupted,glad its been acknowledged.Ta bud

You stand corrupted■■? :laughing: Perhaps it’s time you got out of YCT :exclamation:

he had some good music but I reckon people in general went overboard with their grief,end of the day just another musician that’s passed on,tired of hearing/reading about it

mikeshe:

manalishi:
:oops: Istand corrupted,glad its been acknowledged.Ta bud

You stand corrupted■■? :laughing: Perhaps it’s time you got out of YCT :exclamation:

may have to.theyre moving us to monthly pay.Not good.

truckman020:
he had some good music but I reckon people in general went overboard with their grief,end of the day just another musician that’s passed on,tired of hearing/reading about it

No pilgrim.a collossus who touched millions with his genius and style,a salmon who made it upstream and spawned a change in the zeitgeist,much like Lennon&Mcartney.He was more relevant to all than a certain Merovingian toff who garnered the same outpourings,for what?..living a life of immense privilige(sic) Bowie gave us great art.I reckon the response to his passing has been fairly dignified in comparison.

R.I.P David Bowie we salute you thank you for my favs life on mars .pretty thing

manalishi:

truckman020:

No pilgrim.a collossus who touched millions with his genius and style,a salmon who made it upstream and spawned a change in the zeitgeist,much like Lennon&Mcartney.He was more relevant to all than a certain Merovingian toff who garnered the same outpourings,for what?..living a life of immense privilige(sic) Bowie gave us great art.I reckon the response to his passing has been fairly dignified in comparison.

I stand by my original statement,although I agree with what you say about the toff

truckman020:

+1
I don’t watch tv,or read newspapers so the 1st I heard of it was on here…I don’t imagine his dependants/relatives and general hangers on will be rushing to log in here to see who s interested or not. some good songs,and a bit of a flamboyant personality whos now pegged it.once again nobodys going to lose any sleep over it on here.just something for the media to mercilessly flog to death dragging out z list nonentities telling us how the man they never knew has affected them now he,s snuffed it. im just kicking myself I never had him on as a double with brucie or kieth Richards down the bookies for the celebrity snuffits post. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

truckman020:

+1
I don’t watch tv,or read newspapers so the 1st I heard of it was on here…I don’t imagine his dependants/relatives and general hangers on will be rushing to log in here to see who s interested or not. some good songs,and a bit of a flamboyant personality whos now pegged it.once again nobodys going to lose any sleep over it on here.just something for the media to mercilessly flog to death dragging out z list nonentities telling us how the man they never knew has affected them now he,s snuffed it. im just kicking myself I never had him on as a double with brucie or kieth Richards down the bookies for the celebrity snuffits post. :slight_smile:

+1

robroy:

From the opposite point of view I’d say that with some exceptions it was the 1970’s music scene which had most relevance to my tastes and memories within that same time scale.Ranging from 60’s/70’s Ska/Reggae and Motown/Atlantic,Slade,Santana,some Hendrix Eagles and ELO among many others.But within which Bowie was totally off my radar and nothing that special compared to the great range of options we had to listen to then and which mostly stayed with me over the years.The contemporary music scene gradually mostly losing interest to me from around the mid 1980’s.

Whether you disliked Bowie as a person and/or his music, there is no denying his influence on so many acts since he really came to prominence in the very early 70’s - look at how many Bowie tracks are cited in Ken Bruce’s ‘Tracks of my Years’ week after week. And that’s not to mention the tracks he wrote/produced for other artists or collaborated with.

The overload of media coverage was down to his (largely) unexpected death, his wide body of work and influence on others - especially those who work within the media.

God bless him and thanks for the music!

GCR2ERF:
he really came to prominence in the very early 70’s - look at how many Bowie tracks are cited in Ken Bruce’s ‘Tracks of my Years’ week after week.

Maybe he just likes Bowie’s music.

Meanwhile this was the reality of Bowie v just two options in the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo

youtube.com/watch?v=Frq_z2cuo4g

youtube.com/watch?v=6qSlKxoMqZc

IE Lynrd Skynrd Freebird rivalling rock track to better ballad than Bowie’s from one group.

David formed his first band, the Konrads at age 15.
Dissatisfied with the bands lack of inspiration he left and joined the King Bees.
Liza Jane by the King Bees was played this morning on radio 2 just before 0500.
How can you compare Bowie to Slade or Lynryd Skynryd?
Bowie wasn’t like anything that had happened before or since - he was a complete one - off.
There was loads of good bands through the 70’s, a lot of crap too, the stuff Steve Wright
might play on a Sunday.
I wasn’t Bowies biggest fan, but I was there when it all kicked off with Space Oddity.
How different it was from anything else I’d heard till then.
David Jones might have died but David Bowie lives on forever through his music.