How do you keep fit on time off?

I used to cycle 26 miles on closed down old railway track cycle ways,now it is a gentle ramble of about 12 miles,then swim an hour and a half in an Olympic size pool,canal route for the bike,plenty of pit stops on the way.
Was a gym freak,5 days week,got bored of that,getting all the bugs and colds that others brought in,can not be healthy with a closed in room with a dodgy air con,one large chap would not wipe his sweat off the machines,but plenty of eye candy,and have a chat with some fit birds.

I’m into competitive rowing quite seriously. Very addictive. :wink:

My hobby is geocaching, this usually involves walking 5-10 miles over rough terrain looking for hidden treasure. Keeps me out of mischief.

I play golf about 3 times a week on a hilly course, not everyone’s cup of tea I know but it’s good for your fitness.

SCUBA diving is good for cardio vascular work out too. :bulb:

Good ques bud I train 4 times a week at the moment in really good shape but got to start sleeping out all well again soon going to have to lift chains and timber lol

Truck driving is very sedandary,power steering,pull back a curtain,once or twice a day,sit in a RDC for half a day drinking ditch water for coffee,gyms at msa`s would be great,im sure most of us would use them,a portakabin would suffice,maybe £5 per session,any ideas?
CV machines,spin bikes,tread mills,bar bell weights,and so on.

I played cricket until i snapped my achilles tendon in 2010.i also mountain biked.Had 12 weeks of,back to work for 3 days and snapped it again.i like a sedentary life now and bloody hate cricket.

toby1234abc:
Truck driving is very sedandary,power steering,pull back a curtain,once or twice a day,sit in a RDC for half a day drinking ditch water for coffee,gyms at msa`s would be great,im sure most of us would use them,a portakabin would suffice,maybe £5 per session,any ideas?
CV machines,spin bikes,tread mills,bar bell weights,and so on.

That’s a dam good idea Toby, a firm I used to work for had a Gym set up in a cabin about the size of a 30 foot container & it was surpring what they had fitted in that space.

For me nowadays, I have a multigym and treadmill in the shed here but my main exercise is Cycling. We have plenty of lanes & a few good hills around here & I can sort out a ride of anything up to 20 miles & never be more than 5 or so miles from home. A good free App to record excercise with is mapmyfitness. There are others but I like this one.

BB

Geocaching for me as well, quite often grab a few if I’m parked up for a while then go out as a family on weekends.

Treadmill albeit fitted with coffee cup holder and ashtray :grimacing:

Mr B:
My hobby is geocaching, this usually involves walking 5-10 miles over rough terrain looking for hidden treasure. Keeps me out of mischief.

Im doin that in Mohave Dessert.
No Rattlers expected in January/February,but dont bet on it

Lucy,my uncle who lives in Cornwall is in to Gig racing,some sort of rowing boat,he goes all over euro land to compete,and also to the Scilly Isles,on the warm Gulf stream,for the weather,he met his new girl friend at the club too,an added bonus,i think haulage bosses should give a bike free to all their drivers,and make the boss pay for a proper rack on the back of the cab,when my trailer was full to the roof,i would hang my bike from the trailer roof.
When in euro land,i would find places that you would never go with a truck,some days doing 30 to 40 mile trips along empty lanes.

you lot make me feel bone idle, probably because I am bone idle :blush:

Join my Secret Truckers Early Morning Running Club then, Knight! (Current membership AFAIK only one). :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the problem with serious sport, you can’t get away with just training at weekends. I jog for about 25 minutes 4 mornings a week down the road (Friday being rest day ready for two days hard training at the boat club when I get back), plus a regular routine of situps, squats, pressups, sumos and core strength exercises 6 days a week. I’m a disabled rower, so I have physio to do 7 days a week as well. It can be a bit of a struggle to squeeze it all in around work when you’re tramping, believe me! :open_mouth:

Toby, gig racing’s getting a lot more popular these days, quite fancy giving it a go but no-one does it near here. :cry:

They take the gig racing very seriously,the club is in Truro,and the club meet their future partners there,so the social scene sounds good,if you are single,divorced,widowed,or separated.

Lucy,you have said nobody gigs your way,why not start a club,they will have to train in all weathers,and in the winter too.
The Cornish clubs would love to come up and have a race or three,loosers buy the drinks.

My job luckly keeps me pretty fit, lifting and carrying my deliveries which can be quite weighty. Always love it when a male customer offers to take the totes im carrying off me and i hear them grunt at the weight :laughing:
My hobby is riding horses so that in itself keeps me fit and i compete in Endurance Riding which requires you to be physically fit esp when your trotting/cantering 40km in less than 4hrs.
I also do 100 sit ups every morning which im gradually incresing :smiley:

We host an annual gig regatta where i live here in Saltash it attracts gigs from all over Devon and Cornwall and beyond and is very popular , you have to be fit to even think of doing it.

I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week for one hours excercising usually a mixture of cycling and cross trainer , boring i know but necessary to stay fit after a 12 hour night sitting on my bumb

I do a bit of cycling, I just chuck the bike in the car and drive out to the Peak District and go on the old railway tracks mainly the High Peak and Monsal trails. I’m hoping to get back into it before Xmas due to recovering from an op and fancy doing the Manifold trail next.