Fitness when tramping

Are there any fitness fanatic trampers on here?

What do drivers do to attempt to keep fit when out on the road?

Do companies allow you to throw you bicycle in the trailer on a Monday morning so you can take it with you and go for a ride when your off duty?

I’d imagine that star jumps and lunges are pretty effective.

I used to run in the early mornings when I was tramping, and I passed enough other people coming and going from the various lorry parks to know I wasn’t alone. There are very few places where you can’t head out for a couple of km on foot and back - even MSAs have non-motorway back entrances, remember - and after a while you get to know which spots are best in various parts of the country.

In winter, mind, this is one situation where a headtorch and hi-viz vest are advisable. Obviously not in lit urban areas, but if you’re hammering up and down country lanes it’s inky-pitch, and the last thing you need is to turn an ankle in a pothole you can’t see, or get flattened by the local dairy hand tearing past bleary-eyed for morning milking at 4am. Carrying a phone is wise as well, for the same reason - I had one of those mini runners pocket things on a waistband that was just the right size for the company handheld brick and my truck keys.

I also used to weight train with dumb bells in the truck. Passes the time on loading bays and gives every bugger else a chortle… :blush: …For the record, I’m into competitive rowing and you can’t do that only training weekends, so I wasn’t just a random nutter, I did have reason to be doing this stuff! :wink:

Thanks for that. I’m hopefully starting tramping in a few weeks. I’m a fit person and I enjoy going to the gym and keeping myself in good shape and one thing I’m intent on not happening is that I don’t let my career choice ruin that!

If your just looking to lose weight at first I would reccomend adapting your eating habits and food sources carefully, I go for fruity snacks and low fat daily nibbles then a proper meal on the evening, kellogs special k are on me menu at the moment.

Also try some light exercise building it up over the weeks, food intake may increase slightly as muscles get better.

Im no expert but I find some sort of exercise where im out of breath for a minute or two works at the moment, usually this involves a brisk walk, some in cab twists and a 5 litre water bottle to muck about with, and of course the obvious on a daily basis… :blush:

Oh and using the sunroof bar for pullups is good, I can currently do 1 and a half.

Those fitter folks in better shape may need a more strenuous routine though.

Not enough “fitness fanatics” out there in my opinion. Saw a driver at Erith yesterday and judging by the size of him he hasnt done any fitness in about 35 years!!! Clear example of a heart attack waiting to happen, looked like he could have required a stena stair lift to even get in the cab!!!

Not saying every driver should be 10 stone lean and buff, but come on, have a bit of self respect and make life easier for yourself, granted drivers can’t be expected to get out running on a night parked up but at least give yourself a chance at losing weight or keeping reasonably healthy!! For example, at our yard, some drivers will drop the trailer, and then DRIVE back across the yard, park up right outside the door and go up to the office. Why not drop the trailer, pull out slightly from under it, then WALK over to the office!!? Pure laziness, the only time I will park up outside the office is if I am in desperate need to take a leak when just pulled into the yard!!

Claretmac:
Not enough “fitness fanatics” out there in my opinion. Saw a driver at Erith yesterday and judging by the size of him he hasnt done any fitness in about 35 years!!! Clear example of a heart attack waiting to happen, looked like he could have required a stena stair lift to even get in the cab!!!

Not saying every driver should be 10 stone lean and buff, but come on, have a bit of self respect and make life easier for yourself, granted drivers can’t be expected to get out running on a night parked up but at least give yourself a chance at losing weight or keeping reasonably healthy!! For example, at our yard, some drivers will drop the trailer, and then DRIVE back across the yard, park up right outside the door and go up to the office. Why not drop the trailer, pull out slightly from under it, then WALK over to the office!!? Pure laziness, the only time I will park up outside the office is if I am in desperate need to take a leak when just pulled into the yard!!

10 stone!? :open_mouth: my left nut weighs more than that…

:open_mouth: Blimey, do they call you Ed Big Balls!!■■ Or wrecker? Or something similar!!? :laughing: :laughing:

Claretmac:
:shock: Blimey, do they call you Ed Big Balls!!■■ Or wrecker? Or something similar!!? :laughing: :laughing:

Yeahhhh…I need to get it looked at :blush:

i find the easiest way to get in shape is just to go without my evening meal. its not as hard as you think,feels really satisfying in fact

corij:
i find the easiest way to get in shape is just to go without my evening meal. its not as hard as you think,feels really satisfying in fact

I find that I get a far better nights sleep when I go to bed slightly hungry.

There’s loads of options for any driver who wants to keep fit; anyone pulling anything other than a close coupled trailer can wack a push iron on the back of the cab, curtain sider pilots can do pull ups, there’s quite a bit of resistance training you can do as you drive using the steering wheel and differing hand positions. Most of us drive vehicles with cruise control so it’s quite simple to tense your stomach muscles and slowly raise and lower your legs as you drive. Try passing under a bridge and excercising until you pass under the next one. Pick them carefully on the M11 as there’s some bloody long gaps which hurt like hell. :wink:

Thought I was only one who did that Mao. :sunglasses:

Guy needs about 2500 calories a day. Think about that when considering the ‘belly buster’ in the morning, or when you are in the queue at Greggs. Do some research and find out how many calories in a few pints, a sausage roll or a cream cake. It is not rocket science. Then find a sport you enjoy, exercise will become a pleasure.

Fitness and tramping is most an oxymoron!

Two things you are up against,
1 time to exercise
2 eating options

The eating problem is easier to control, you simply have to take with you what you want to eat because healthy meal options on the road are very limited (and uninspiring)

The moment you have to buy “food” from services you’ve failed.
As for finding time to exercise well you might have time assuming you are going to be having 11 hours off, if you’re having 9 hours off that’s gonna be hard.
Good luck.

I’m a bit of a keep fit nut and I have to confess when taking a 15 minute break I jump in the back of the van and do a set of press-ups (I’m currently up to 70!). I feel like a bit of an idiot and often wonder if I’m the only driver in the country who does this, but who cares! Diet is also important, if you can, eat small amounts of healthy snacks frequently. Brazil nuts, apples, sliced carrots, baby tomatoes, grapes etc are my favourites, I do have a pack of crisps too, along with small amounts of dark chocolate, but all things in moderation.

When on containers i put bike carrier on wind jammer stays . would do over 100 miles at work over the week . however not an option on fridges !
Do pull ups on bars guarding fridge evaporator and aim to get 2 long xc runs on mtb on days off .
Basically if you want to stay fit and healthy dont do tramping for more than few months at a time . then do a job with handball that u can cycle to work at .
If u cycle 10 miles to work and 10 back thats enough to stay healthy

Sprinter Si:
I’m a bit of a keep fit nut and I have to confess when taking a 15 minute break I jump in the back of the van and do a set of press-ups (I’m currently up to 70!). I feel like a bit of an idiot and often wonder if I’m the only driver in the country who does this,

I’m wondering if people jump to the wrong conclusion when they see your cab rocking… :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

Sprinter Si:
I’m a bit of a keep fit nut and I have to confess when taking a 15 minute break I jump in the back of the van and do a set of press-ups (I’m currently up to 70!). I feel like a bit of an idiot and often wonder if I’m the only driver in the country who does this,

I’m wondering if people jump to the wrong conclusion when they see your cab rocking… :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Invest in a TRX Suspension trainer, other brands are available, and you can get a full body workout in Snyder you San find a tree branch, fence pole, climbing frame or in the back if the trailer dying a load restraint bar or the bar at the top of the curtain sides that the straps hang off. All body weight exercises and the whole thing packs up really small in a bag about the size of a wash bag. Fantastic bit of kit and even though it’s only body weight being utilised you can increase the difficulty of each exercise by moving your feet closer to the anchor point, or easier by moving them away.

This is the circuit I do with it and also put people through when I train them. They are pretty much hanging by the end but it brings to great results in terms of fitness, body fat reduction and core strengthening.

TRX Routine

30" each, 20-30" recovery between exercise while adjusting kit. 3-4 rounds. 2’ rest between rounds

LOWER BODY

Squat - Straps mid-length, face anchor point, squat keeping tension.

Pistol Squat - Same as above but one legged keeping non working leg off the ground, 30" each side.

Sprinter Start - Straps fully extended under arms, facing away from anchor point, step back with one eg then bring it powerfully forward raising knee, 30" each side.

Hamstring Curl - Straps fully extended, on back lying on floor, heels in straps. Raise hips off ground and hold for duration and bring knees to chest.

UPPER BODY

Back Row - Straps fully shortened, arms extended! row body up to straps.

T Delt Fly - Straps mid length, lean back, toe to heel, pull up opening arms wide.

Chest Press - Straps fully extended passing over shoulders, lower flaring elbows out to side, return.

CORE

Kneeling Roll Out - Straps fully extended, face away from anchor point, hands in straps, roll out and use core oit arms to return

Suspended Crunch Knees to Chest - Straps fully extended, press up position, crunch knees to chest.

Suspended Pike - Straps fully extended, feet in cradles, press up position, raise ■■■ skyward.

Pendulum - Straps fully extended, feet in cradles, press up position, swing legs out to sides moving from hips down only.

Plank - Straps fully extended, feet in cradles on forearms, hold.

Forty-five minutes out your day, 3 times a week. Sorted.

Evil8Beezle:

Sprinter Si:

:laughing: Haha, I’ve often thought the same myself. I should be so lucky…

Claretmac:

I was at Lidl Belvedere a few weeks back, and some foreign bloke was in such a bad state he was making his way back to his unit by holding onto all the other motors along the way, grilles etc. A most unwell chap. God only knows how he’d self-tipped