How do you keep fit on time off?

tamarman, do you know Stephen, Hannah and Tom Cary from the Truro area, they do gigging?

sorry i dont know them Truro is about 40 miles away from where i am in Saltash , when the reggatta is held here there can be hundreds of rowers on the waterfront two or three teams sometimes to each gig

Desperate:
I do a bit of cycling, I just chuck the bike in the car and drive out to the Peak District and go on the old railway tracks mainly the High Peak and Monsal trails. I’m hoping to get back into it before Xmas due to recovering from an op and fancy doing the Manifold trail next.

Did you get back to cycling again yet Desperate? I’m thinking of having a go on the cycle tracks round here. Miles of old Railway lines have been developed into cycle tracks & I fancy trying them out to compare to my usual routes which are using mainly lanes around the valley here.

I’m only a fair weather cyclist though and haven’t been out for two weeks now, you certinly know it when you’ve been off the bike for a while don’t you.

Merry Christmas

BB

I go the gym at least 4 times a week and burn at least 1000 cals when I go, usually more. Cross trainer, run on the treadmill and cycle on the bike. Often do some weights and sometimes swim. Anyone who says they don’t have time to fit the gym in is in the bone idle club. Even doing 70 plus hour weeks I still get to the gym at least 4 times.

I’ve just come back from the gym. 600 cals on the cross trainer and 500 cals on the bike (or just over 20 cals). I cancelled my sky sports at home and now go the gym to watch the footy, I watched the Arsenal v Liverpool game whilst doing a 50km bike ride !!!

Keep it up mate. :smiley:

My kids bought me a Tacx Trainer for Christmas so I’m no longer a fairweather cyclist. I can now clip my bike into the trainer and do a workout ride in my shed. tacx.com and click on Trainers and then the Booster model. That’s the one I have and it doesn’t half sort you out.

A mate of mine competes in mountain bike championship competitions and he told me half an hour a day on the trainer over the winter months was all he did so I do the same. Just hope it works :slight_smile:

BB

i go to the gym on fridays, saturdays, and sundays, I also play rugby on saturdays and sometimes reff on sundays… and im nearly 51…dont drinl or smoke, but im plagued with a dodgy calf at the moment due to not warming up properly…

Mon - 3 mile run.
Tue - 1 hour 6 a side football
Wed - 1 hour 6 a side football
Thur - 1 hour swim
Fri - Rest day
Sat - Cycle/MTB for at least an hour.
Sun - MTB, time and distance depends on where we go.

On top of that our job is very physical, every now n then we have a daft day where we do a workout whilst out n about :blush:

Stripping down and rebuilding those old tilt trailers was a good workout.

toby1234abc:
I used to cycle 26 miles on closed down old railway track cycle ways,now it is a gentle ramble of about 12 miles,then swim an hour and a half in an Olympic size pool,canal route for the bike,plenty of pit stops on the way.
Was a gym freak,5 days week,got bored of that,getting all the bugs and colds that others brought in,can not be healthy with a closed in room with a dodgy air con,one large chap would not wipe his sweat off the machines,but plenty of eye candy,and have a chat with some fit birds.

Fridge is 2 Floor down in basement:-)
walking (Hadrian Wall,Forest of Dean,Mojave Dessert in Winter,just after Xmas)
But now as i age im now doing shorter Walks and more exploring Historical Sites.Lost just 5 kilo in 5 Weeks,but had to walk a Kilometer for each Meal. And after sept. 2014 i may get a Job in warehouse,if CPC Shame get not scrapped :slight_smile:

Sorry if this is a thread derail, but I have no time during the week to go to any gym. I work, I get home and do basic chores then sleep and work again …

… Are there any cab friendly exercises you can do? Either whilst driving or on a break? I’ve put on a stone and a half since I started HGV driving (depot work, hardest work is moving stuff on a pump truck).

Argos do a decent set of bar bells, on a break chuck some around, i agree, there is no time, do the work, go home, eat and sleep, then repeat again.

Press ups,star jumps i try to do 200 a day, the easiest thing is to buy a skipping rope.Been doing it on and off for 12 months now but you do get some funny looks. :smiley:

I’ve got one of these - http://uk.trxtraining.com/shop/gear

Dave

Bump
to reinstate an old thread

davemfox:
I’ve got one of these - http://uk.trxtraining.com/shop/gear

Dave

If anyone has tried TRX suspension training to keep fit, there are cheap TRX copies on sale at Aldi stores for £14.99, compact enough & ideal for someone trying to keep fit while tramping.

A few ideas of what you can do with suspension training

For me, Motivation is the issue. I was 18 and 12 stone and under 10% body fat, went to the gym five nights a week and done kick boxing the other two. I also cycled to and from work, I was in such good shape. Started driving buses when I was 18, now 26 and drive trucks I am just over 17 stone. Now my only exercise is walking the dog and unloading the truck, every now and again I take up jogging or cycling, never lasts though :blush: