Keeping fit while tramping

Hey chaps I’m about to start a tramping job mon-fri. Any of you try to keep fit during you daily rest? If so what do you do to keep fit? The biggest thing that scares me is turning into a fat mess and lets be honest our industry has more than it fair share of them. What sort of fitness do you do give me some ideals I’m already thinking of going for a jog. What else?

i lost 4 stones in 18months after a health scare .i was 18st. i basically cut out breakfast for the first year,no other changes in diet,no checking calories i knew id fail if i did that - then in addition cut down the amount of my evening meal. it wasnt easy tho,first 6 months i felt awful ,as if i was going mad . i spose that was my body adjusting . but this worked for me i didnt up my exercise one bit.

I’ve known a few trampers take bicycles with them, strapped to the rear of the cab. One guy even carried a folding bike in his passenger footwell.

corij:
i lost 4 stones in 18months after a health scare .i was 18st. i basically cut out breakfast for the first year,no other changes in diet,no checking calories i knew id fail if i did that - then in addition cut down the amount of my evening meal. it wasnt easy tho,first 6 months i felt awful ,as if i was going mad . i spose that was my body adjusting . but this worked for me i didnt up my exercise one bit.

Thanks mate I’m by no means fat or overweight I’m actually in very good health. But since I won’t be home during the week and won’t be able to go to a local gym just seeing what other trampers do.

All depends on where you park at night. If you have to park at motorway services truck stops etc. Then it’s no good.
If you can park anyware you like then it’s a bit better.
I tend to park on industrial estates places where I can get out my cab of an evening. And then I go for a walk / jog round the block for about half an hour … on a nice evening depending where I’m parked I can easily just walk for.about an hour get some fresh air exercise clear my head etc.
Steer clear of fast food takeaways as much as you can.
One driver I knew ages ago he joined pure gym.
He said there nation wide he can park.within walking distance of some. . Plus as he told.me.if he’s to tired for a work out can just go in have a shower/sauna

edd1974:
All depends on where you park at night. If you have to park at motorway services truck stops etc. Then it’s no good.
I tend to park on industrial estates places where I can get out my cab of an evening. And then I go for a walk / jog round the block for about half an hour … on a nice evening depending where I’m parked I can easily just walk for.about an hour get some fresh air exercise clear my head etc.
He said there nation wide he can park.within walking distance of some. . Plus as he told.me.if he’s to tired for a work out can just go in have a shower/sauna

That’s a good ideal that

Parking at motorway service stations! No Excuses!
Open the sunroof put on some gloves for a convenient pull up bar.
Bed can be used for leg raises, sit ups and push ups.
Some trucks don’t have centre consoles these days, plenty of space for leg lunges.

Take a small backpack put some weights in it before you go for your walk/jog.
Also wear the backpack when you’re doing your lunges.

If you’re feeling the cold, vitamin d3 3000ui tablets (that’s 3 thousand ui not 300 from Holland and Barrett)

containers_only:
Parking at motorway service stations! No Excuses!
Open the sunroof put on some gloves for a convenient pull up bar.
Bed can be used for leg raises, sit ups and push ups.
Some trucks don’t have centre consoles these days, plenty of space for leg lunges.

Take a small backpack put some weights in it before you go for your walk/jog.
Also wear the backpack when you’re doing your lunges.

If you’re feeling the cold, vitamin d3 3000ui tablets (that’s 3 thousand ui not 300 from Holland and Barrett)

That’s a very good idea. unfortunately for me I’m a little bit on the tall side 6’4” and it’ll be a scania car transporter squeezed down cab [emoji26]

Exercise has it’s place but it isn’t the be all end all, DIET is KEY, High in natural fat low in carbohydrates, avoid bread cakes pies cereals, sugar in drinks, processed foods make your own meals from fresh or frozen ingredients none of your ready meals, baked beans,
Eat stuff like bacon, eggs , beef, chicken, lamb , green veggies (no spuds) give it upto 2 weeks for the hunger pangs to disappear, whatch the weight drop off
I was nearly 18 stone over 1 year ago, BP was stage 2, and had non alc fatty liver ( due to body fat), i for 6 months increased my activity levels,cut down on the beer, and changed my diet , lost a couple of stone, BP still too high ,( on meds) weight loss had plateaued, i then decided to stop drinking beer,cut out potatoes,and eventually cereal too, i’m now just over 13st, nearly at my so called ideal weight, BP normal no meds needed any more, I’ll typically have 2 rashers of bacon 2 vine tomatoes grilled , for breakfast, then nothing until evening, snacks pork crackling /scratchings , or dark 90% cocoa chocolate half a bar in any day

Exercise has it’s place but it isn’t the be all end all, DIET is KEY, High in natural fat low in carbohydrates, avoid bread cakes pies cereals, sugar in drinks, processed foods make your own meals from fresh or frozen ingredients none of your ready meals, baked beans,
Eat stuff like bacon, eggs , beef, chicken, lamb , green veggies (no spuds) give it upto 2 weeks for the hunger pangs to disappear, whatch the weight drop off
I was nearly 18 stone over 1 year ago, BP was stage 2, and had non alc fatty liver ( due to body fat), i for 6 months increased my activity levels,cut down on the beer, and changed my diet , lost a couple of stone, BP still too high ,( on meds) weight loss had plateaued, i then decided to stop drinking beer,cut out potatoes,and eventually cereal too, i’m now just over 13st, nearly at my so called ideal weight, BP normal no meds needed any more, I’ll typically have 2 rashers of bacon 2 vine tomatoes grilled , for breakfast, then nothing until evening, snacks pork crackling /scratchings , or dark 90% cocoa chocolate half a bar in any day

You don’t need to do exercise to avoid getting fat. Monitoring your calorie intake is all that’s required
To loss weight eat in a calorie deficit, increase weight eat in a surplus and to maintain weight eat somewhere in the middle
Exercise just supplements it

Fire your particulars in on here and it’ll give you a decent idea of what your calorie intake should be: nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-we … alculator/

Avoiding parking in the services means you won’t be tempted into buying Burger King and similar rubbish
Also means you’re free to go for a run or a walk without other drivers posting about you doing 15 laps of the lorry park on Facebook while they themselves can’t even see their feet

stinger:
Hey chaps I’m about to start a tramping job mon-fri. Any of you try to keep fit during you daily rest? If so what do you do to keep fit? The biggest thing that scares me is turning into a fat mess and lets be honest our industry has more than it fair share of them. What sort of fitness do you do give me some ideals I’m already thinking of going for a jog. What else?

I try and get a good fast walk in when on my 45 each day,you will find at a few of the motorway service stations you can walk out of the back roads and walk across to the opposite side services a few times.
Clacket lane is a good one as you can walk down the back road which is a mile each way to the main road,I’ve jogged it a few times and got a shower in as well in my 45 break.
No excuse either when it’s raining depending on the truck you drive,I’ve a daf XF and I jog on the spot on the engine hump.also use the top bunk as a weight to lift up and down a few times,I may be mad doing all this but it’s kept my weight down and hopefully my heart healthy been doing it regularly for the past 3 years also I don’t do fryups very often maybe once a month as a treat.

harrawaffa:
You don’t need to do exercise to avoid getting fat. Monitoring your calorie intake is all that’s required
To loss weight eat in a calorie deficit, increase weight eat in a surplus and to maintain weight eat somewhere in the middle

Fire your particulars in on here and it’ll give you a decent idea of what your calorie intake should be: nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-we … alculator/

Avoiding parking in the services means you won’t be tempted into buying Burger King and similar rubbish
Also means you’re free to go for a run or a walk without other drivers posting about you doing 15 laps of the lorry park on Facebook while they themselves can’t even see their feet

Calories is misleading,or a misnomer to a degree it really is not so simple , BIG FOOD feeds BIG PHARMA This is how these rich elites rule us, And Then you have the reference to the NHS,Which has been exploited and Abused by GOVERNMENT POLICY for decades , Is now COMMON PURPOSE TRAINED LOOK UP “COMMON PURPOSE” and WAKE UP!!!
Now i did NOT want to be Political in this topic, but when you mention the NHS It becomes political

tommy t:

harrawaffa:

Calories is misleading,or a misnomer to a degree it really is not so simple , BIG FOOD feeds BIG PHARMA This is how these rich elites rule us, And Then you have the reference to the NHS,Which has been exploited and Abused by GOVERNMENT POLICY for decades , Is now COMMON PURPOSE TRAINED LOOK UP “COMMON PURPOSE” and WAKE UP!!!
Now i did NOT want to be Political in this topic, but when you mention the NHS It becomes political

Yeah that’s great mate sounds as if you’ve got that tinfoil hat securely on.

I’m talking from my own experience. 4 stone down in 12 months almost exclusively by calorie counting and eating in a deficit. Some exercise as and when I felt like it.
I got my maintenance calorie figure from that BMI calculator and consumed less than the numbers shown.

Weight loss is a very simple process - calories in versus calories burned. Nothing political about it. :unamused:

Think outside the box eat healthy do prep at home when you stop go for a brisk walk / jog in cab you can do sit up squats take resistant bands weights spike ball foam roller learn some yoga moves to do pull ups ( use the car transporter for them )

If you on face book join facebook.com/groups/874170349365586/. Truckers who run & yep it is for all type of exercise a lot of help & support if you want

animal:
Think outside the box eat healthy do prep at home when you stop go for a brisk walk / jog in cab you can do sit up squats take resistant bands weights spike ball foam roller learn some yoga moves to do pull ups ( use the car transporter for them )

If you on face book join facebook.com/groups/874170349365586/. Truckers who run & yep it is for all type of exercise a lot of help & support if you want

Thanks I’ll be joining that group

harrawaffa:

tommy t:

harrawaffa:

I’m talking from my own experience. 4 stone down in 12 months almost exclusively by calorie counting and eating in a deficit. Some exercise as and when I felt like it.
I got my maintenance calorie figure from that BMI calculator and consumed less than the numbers shown.

Weight loss is a very simple process - calories in versus calories burned. Nothing political about it. :unamused:

but can you sustain it■■?

stinger:

edd1974:

That’s a good ideal that

Yes, my son was a member of Bannatines Gym when he was tramping and as its nationwide he aimed for one of those. Got parked up as near as poss then went in there used the gym/sauna/pool and then had a shower. He deffo got his moneys worth. Just dont turn up in a mucky hi-viz and steelies.

tommy t:

harrawaffa:

tommy t:

harrawaffa:

but can you sustain it■■?

Yes
I lost the weight between Jan 16 and Jan 17 and have maintained my current weight or 12.5 stone for the last two years give or take the odd lbs which is sorted with increasing or decreasing calories.
Once you reach your goal weight you increase your calorie intake to maintain said weight. Again a very simple concept.

harrawaffa:

Or as his holiness “Chubby Brown” once said, ya gob is 3 times bigger than your ar$e hole, so if your intake is greater than what comes out, you’ll get fat.