You can fail and still Pass

Unusual, but today I had candidate on test in Chelmsford that failed but still passed.

Within 1 minute of the start Alan stopped to let a vehicle through but forgot to engage a gear and rolled backwards.

The examier marked a serious at the time but later crossed it out.

When it was over the examiner commented. You had failed but the overall drive changed my mind.

To every new starter… Keep going whatever. You have only failed or passed when the boss says so.

I could write a book about this subject !

Keep the faith

John
Flair Training

I 100% believe that fact indeed. Nice to see he put the mistake behind him and then continued to give the examiner a great drive! Good to see some examiners that will indeed give that bit of leeway. He must have given the examiner a great drive after that rollback.

Well done to him for the pass on the merits of his general driving and not just the silly error which probably came from nerves.

Once or twice I’ve had the examiner come to me after a test and say something to the effect of: he scraped a curb and I wasn’t bothered about that, but Jimmy gave up and as a result he’s failed on x + y.

So as previously said, don’t ever “mark” yourself. It’s up to the man (or woman) with the pen.

Good luck to all

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Definately true about the nerves at the start, i had my test yesterday and the nerves only faded after about 5 mins into the test :open_mouth: ( mind you i was shaking a bit once the test was over :smiley: ).

John.

So an examiner that is " human " :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: well done

I have heard of this sort of thing as well but it was about 10 min after the examiner had failed someone ( not a local examiner ) as up here in Newcastle we have “No Car Lanes” so can use them ( yep buses hate it ) so on test the guy used this & examiner failed him as he said he was using the “bus lane” as where he is they only have them & he had not heard of " No Car Lane " he did go back & change it

I had a similar situation when doing test.

I stopped on a hill at some lights, went to move off, released the handbrake and hadn’t put it in gear. It of course rolled back and the examiner leapt for his pen.

Over the course of the drive I did a lot better (convinced I had failed) but at the end he just said to me that rest of the drive was so good that he was sure it was only a momentary lapse due to nerves and so he’d discounted it, and passed me with only 2 minors.

I’ve still got the sheet to prove it to, with the serious all shaded in and his initials next to it.

They ARE human, no point throwing everything to the wind just because of one cockup, its how you respond to it that matters!

Alex

Wish i had a human one last thursday. Failing me for a zafira moving up on my outside at traffic lights, into a gap it really shouldn’t have got into and continued to move up my outside and apparently causing a serious fault on lane discipline for me!! :angry:

Its def easy to give up during the test when you think you’ve messed it up.

I’ve got my cpc on tuesday at chelmsford, hopefully i get leeway on that if i miss something lol :smiley: .

Saaamon:
I’ve got my cpc on tuesday at chelmsford, hopefully i get leeway on that if i miss something lol :smiley: .

There is slight leeway. You have to get 4 of the 5 points on each question. If you have had good training you should be fine. Just make sure you emphasize everything that you do to the point of verbal diarrhoea and you will be fine.

dar1976:

Saaamon:

There is slight leeway. You have to get 4 of the 5 points on each question. If you have had good training you should be fine. Just make sure you emphasize everything that you do to the point of verbal diarrhoea and you will be fine.

I’ve got training in the morning for a few hours then test, not to nervous, the way i see it is if i can pass the driving surely thats the hard part. (famous last words lool)

TBH I found the Mod4 harder than the driving. But you may be different.

Just a case of being methodical when doing the walkaround, taking your time and being concise.

Make sure you have a grip of how to use the ratchet, chain tensioner and bar tensioner

If you have a good trainer who takes a good couple of three hours over some intense training you will fly through.

I had to take two attempts as my first trainer was utter crap. They had no idea how to teach Mod4 even though they had all the tensioning equipment and the proper DSA trolley.

Easy Peasy.

When it comes to minors is there a certain amount you can get in 1 box before it turns to a serious? The reason I ask is because when I did my cat c 2years ago i earned 4 minors for harsh braking but I thought after 3 it turned to a serious? I passed the test first time hence why im confused lol

the lad that i was training with saw a red light at the last min and over shot the line by a mile but because his drive a good he past :sunglasses:
it did make me chuckle though as all through the training he was better than me and on the test he got more minors :grimacing:

Chris_NI:
When it comes to minors is there a certain amount you can get in 1 box before it turns to a serious? The reason I ask is because when I did my cat c 2years ago i earned 4 minors for harsh braking but I thought after 3 it turned to a serious? I passed the test first time hence why im confused lol

i think its 5 minors make a serious fault, though im sure when i did my car test it was only 3.