Yet another CPC post - maybe a lightly different slant

So today I did my second module. The first being a complete waste of time. Namely the wellbeing and manual handling module. After that I re thought the whole thing and decided if I have to do it to continue driving (and I do) then I should actually make sure I learn something.

So today I chose Emergency First Aid at work. It comes with EFAW certificate and counts for 7 of the 35 hours. It actually was very good. My last first aid lesson was about 37 years ago, so probably needed a bit of work. Amazingly a lot hadnt changed. No more doughnut dressings. Telling someone I am trying to help them and asking if they wanted me to, was indicative of todays world of cobblers. I did however get to use a defib(erthingy) practice CPR and go through through some good stuff.

Would I have booked a First aid course without the need for CPC - no.
Did I learn stuff - yes.

3 modules left. Using 2 of them up on a two day forklift course. I can use a forklift but I come from the era that the training was “its over there” I have been in quite a lot of places where i would have liked to use the forklift to get myself loaded and gone but not been able to because of red tape. This will be useful and also if need be I can use it to earn a few quid in desperate times.

Would I have booked the course without the CPC - No.
Will I learn amd make use from it - yes.

The last module I am going to do the tachograph one. I feel the boredom already but the tacho is probably the tool we should respect the most. ■■■■ it up and it costs money or lives or possibly your license. Is the tacho going away - no.

So even though I dont want to do the CPC, at the conclusion of it I am probably more employable, probably more knowledgable and covered my backside on driver requirements. So all I would say is if you have to do it - think about it.

Cool story Bro’.

Should we clap you, or slap you?

Chas:
Cool story Bro’.

Should we clap you, or slap you?

I’ll let you all decide :smiley:

midlifetrucker:

Then I decides to slap you.

Not just because you talk ■■■■■■■■, but because you talk ■■■■■■■■, on a forum where ■■■■■■■■ shouldn’t really be talked at all.

All that we do is drive lorrys, in the vain hope that every hour we work the world becomes a better place for all of us to live in.

All you talk about is ■■■■■■■■ things, trying to tell us we ain’t doing it good enuff, so we must pay the £moneys to learn how to do it properly.

Chas:

midlifetrucker:

Then I decides to slap you.

Not just because you talk ■■■■■■■■, but because you talk ■■■■■■■■, on a forum where ■■■■■■■■ shouldn’t really be talked at all.

All that we do is drive lorrys, in the vain hope that every hour we work the world becomes a better place for all of us to live in.

All you talk about is ■■■■■■■■ things, trying to tell us we ain’t doing it good enuff, so we must pay the £moneys to learn how to do it properly.

Well wasnt quite expecting that, but i am glad that you managed to learn the word ■■■■■■■■ before your knuckles wore out on the ground completely

midlifetrucker:
3 modules left. Using 2 of them up on a two day forklift course. I can use a forklift but I come from the era that the training was “its over there” I have been in quite a lot of places where i would have liked to use the forklift to get myself loaded and gone but not been able to because of red tape. This will be useful and also if need be I can use it to earn a few quid in desperate times.

Don’t be so sure that you can use anybody’s forklifts to load unload yourself on their site ! I have a hiab ticket & hiab on the truck but I go to some places where I’m not allowed to use it to unload on their premises & have to wait for forky, I also have a forklift licence but can’t just jump on anyone’s to do it myself , the upside is you kill two birds by getting it & hours but definitley check it counts tow!rds cpc.

midlifetrucker:
Well wasnt quite expecting that, but i am glad that you managed to learn the word ■■■■■■■■ before your knuckles wore out on the ground completely

What does the word ‘sockpuppet’ mean to you?

Chas:

midlifetrucker:

Now now children lol, I did the first aid one last Saturday out off my 28 hours thus far was the only thing decent I learnt you never know when someone will drop down infront off you I suppose. All the rest has just been a stealth tax but its not going away. The only thing with that first aid course the certificate only lasts 3 years I don’t know if I want to cave a dummy’s chest in again in 3 years time for another bloody certificate.

midlifetrucker:
So today I did my second module. The first being a complete waste of time. Namely the wellbeing and manual handling module. After that I re thought the whole thing and decided if I have to do it to continue driving (and I do) then I should actually make sure I learn something.

So today I chose Emergency First Aid at work. It comes with EFAW certificate and counts for 7 of the 35 hours. It actually was very good. My last first aid lesson was about 37 years ago, so probably needed a bit of work. Amazingly a lot hadnt changed. No more doughnut dressings. Telling someone I am trying to help them and asking if they wanted me to, was indicative of todays world of cobblers. I did however get to use a defib(erthingy) practice CPR and go through through some good stuff.

Would I have booked a First aid course without the need for CPC - no.
Did I learn stuff - yes.

Would I have booked the course without the CPC - No.
Will I learn amd make use from it - yes.

The last module I am going to do the tachograph one. I feel the boredom already but the tacho is probably the tool we should respect the most. ■■■■ it up and it costs money or lives or possibly your license. Is the tacho going away - no.

So even though I dont want to do the CPC, at the conclusion of it I am probably more employable, probably more knowledgable and covered my backside on driver requirements. So all I would say is if you have to do it - think about it.

Brilliant :slight_smile: THIS is what CPC was designed for!

to encourage drivers to learn new skills relevant to their job.

I only have my initial for cat C but need to do the final 7 hours for my PCV, and im deciding what to do to complete it.

now that first aid course, OR FLT with CPC accreditation sounds like a winner! I wa sin a place this week as an agency driver and an FLT would have saved ALOT of messing around, as I coulve driven thier forks and loaded myself! (as their own drivers do) so that was useful!

cheers for this post :smiley:

B…

Chas:

midlifetrucker:

Lambchop and Shari Lewis.

Still not sure why I am a “Sockpuppet” To be honest dont even know what one is apart from the picture already tendered. Someone care to explain?

midlifetrucker:
Still not sure why I am a “Sockpuppet” To be honest dont even know what one is apart from the picture already tendered. Someone care to explain?

Not a clue Chas sounds like an arse, why wouldn’t you want to do the first aid course, I have done it and it’s by far the best module so far

I’m sure some of the training is worth while but is totally unconnected to your ability to drive a wagon (there’s a test for that, whereby you are granted a licence to drive a HGV).

The DCPC is a complete load of Bobbins from Brussels. No amount of argument will convince me otherwise.

I’m glad you enjoyed some parts of your spurious “training” though OP. making the best of a laughable situation.

Agreed it is a joke I have learnt the majority of my job off other drivers I have no idea what they think they will achieve by making everyone take it.

At last something positive from the dCPC

Oh and Chas, your attitude is partly why truck drivers are treated so badly. The ‘you can’t teach me anything mate’ attitude is the first indication that someone isn’t very receptive mentally… :wink:

I agree it’s unfair that we are expected to pay but unfortunately that is symptomatic of the society we now live in.

The world managed fine for hundreds of years with lorry drivers ,truckers,waggoners and carters.None of the aforementioned needed a DCPC.They did have to know their stuff though.Said stuff was and is best learnt from an older and wiser hand.A university bod doesnt really cut it IMO.

alamcculloch:
The world managed fine for hundreds of years with lorry drivers ,truckers,waggoners and carters.None of the aforementioned needed a DCPC.They did have to know their stuff though.Said stuff was and is best learnt from an older and wiser hand.A university bod doesnt really cut it IMO.

Agreed BUT unfortunately a lot of drivers nowadays wont even speak to you let alone help you.

Truckulent:

Oh and Chas, your attitude is partly why truck drivers are treated so badly. The ‘you can’t teach me anything mate’ attitude is the first indication that someone isn’t very receptive mentally… :wink:

I agree it’s unfair that we are expected to pay but unfortunately that is symptomatic of the society we now live in.

Truckulent…thats why your boss has your knackers on the end of a trowel…and if he said kiss my arse its part of the job you would do it ! and then if he said its 400 quid to kiss my arse you would pay it, its a tax nothing else wake up pal.

shytalk:

Truckulent:

Oh and Chas, your attitude is partly why truck drivers are treated so baThis attitude does little to improve the credibility of professional drivers. dly. The ‘you can’t teach me anything mate’ attitude is the first indication that someone isn’t very receptive mentally… :wink:

Truckulent…thats why your boss has your knackers on the end of a trowel…and if he said kiss my arse its part of the job you would do it ! and then if he said its 400 quid to kiss my arse you would pay it, its a tax nothing else wake up pal.

Sorry fella not me…

I work for myself, so my ‘boss’ is me and naturally I am in possesion of my own knackers, although I seem to have been short changed when it came to handing out the trowels… :grimacing:

I agree entirely that it’s a tax, though plenty will be put through by the firm they work for and it will cost them nothing.

However my point is that plenty of drivers have an arrogance about the job that suggests that their intelligence levels are well below a decent level. This attitude does little to improve the credibility of professional drivers.

The reality is 7 hours a year over 5 years…it could be much worse… (and probably will be in the future).

midlifetrucker:

alamcculloch:

Agreed BUT unfortunately a lot of drivers nowadays wont even speak to you let alone help you.

And look what happens when you finally pluck up the courage to ask a question!