Work time directive

Looking on the jobcenter plus web site i have seen some jobs that are advertised, that this job is exempt from the working time directive.
How can a company exempt a job without the employees consent, as i understand it only the employee can opt out or in to the WTD.
Can a company do this ?, i have just finished a job in a factory & we had the option to be in or out, if you opted in you could not be made to work more than 48 hours, if opted out you could work more than 48 hours ,is it the same in transport ?.

you don’t have to opt out in transport but then you don’t have to take the job either. Transport or mobile workers as i think we’re called this week are exempt from the WTD for now until march next year i think

Come march 2005 they will pay, no more flipping burgers or mopping floors…
:smiley: :laughing: :wink: :laughing: :smiley:

I have signed a contract with my employer stating i WILL be partaking in the wtd and cannot be asked or made to do more than 48 hours, and it feels SOO0Oo good.

But are you getting any more money for your cut in hours Jammy?

Gurner, u took the words right out of my mouth, :wink: as the song goes… :laughing:

i signed a new contract last year with my employer ready for the wtd.
my firm starts the 48 hrs in sept.
and yes my pay went up by 4 grand then and it goes up another 2 grand in september. followed by a pay rise in november :smiley:
and what do i have to do for all this extra money and less hours ■■.
shift work. i also lose my regular truck but when this shift starts the truck i get will be with me for the duration IE) if im doing 3,4 or 5 day shift then that truck is mine.
we have been told to expect a few more nights out than we normally do but at £30 a night thats no hardship.

LONG LIVE THE W.T.D AND GOD BLESS ALL WHO DRIVE HER.

allikat:
But are you getting any more money for your cut in hours Jammy?

No Alli i am getting less i took a BIG pay cut to have a job in a warehouse , however i have been promoted and now have my own office ( including 21% pay rise) but i would say within 2 years i will probably be on as much as i was on when i was driving.

However even though i have taken a pay cut the fact that i have a social life and the ability to play squash 2/3 nights a week , see my children EVERY day and be in bed with my wife every night far outweighs the fact that i could potentially earn a lot more money.

I dont know if its just me but is money really everything in life or does quality of life mean a hell of a lot more?.

:cry: With all my heart I hope your right,and back to reallity may 1st expansion east who gains not brit drivers I,am sure it may take awhlie but we all know that employers go for what,s best for them.We drive trucks so the truck owners make money they are not charities 48 hours per week at todays rate is not much to remenber this ~20% shift allowance33% nights double sundays and bank hols and day in leu time and a half after 8 hours,this was fought for,with 4 on and 4 off work it out,who is winning. :question:

Well I know where there is a job going on Rigids, £6-00 ph for 4 days on 2 weeks 3 days on the third week and the 4th week off, down side is, it’s only 8 or 9 hrs per day delivering to charity shops. 4th week is unpaid, Night out is £17-50 but then again it’s ideal for someone just wanting a semi retired job. It’s based in Gateshead if anyone is interested.

Although it’s a crap wage it’s still better than some of the local company’s around here

alot of people a talking as if this wtd is a done deal,that it’s really going to kick in march2005. :question: for you’s have any of your transport bosses shown you any kind of official paperwork from the legal eagles that are to bring this into force :question: .i know mine has not nor has any off our depots across the whole off the country. i was speaking to a guy who deals with these legal eagles and he was saying that 2005 is looking very doubtful for the wtd as the new cards won’t be ready nor the new tacho’s.he also agreed with myself that owner drivers should be brought into line along side the rest of us drivers .as at the end of the day they have to abide by the same driving regulations as i do.its simple one rule for all.

kitkat:
alot of people a talking as if this wtd is a done deal,that it’s really going to kick in march2005. :question: .

My business needs to be kept upto date with the New proposed Legislation, there are plans for it to be introduced, however, regardless of whether the WTD comes in or not, the Drivers hours is changing next year.

The changes had been finalised over a year ago but were only prevented from being legislated by the Greek President who finishes his term of office next month, the changes will be announced next month, and are expected to be implemented with 18 months maximim.

We were actually in possesion of the information long before the Dept of Transport in the Uk, simply by visiting the EU Website

We were actually in possesion of the information long before the Dept of Transport in the Uk, simply by visiting the EU Website

that’s fair enough,would you still have this info if you had not visited the web site :question:

Our good friend Tony keeps going on about the wages will HAVE to go up come March 05 but I don’t think it will happen. Someone is going to have to foot the tab and your boss isn’t going to do it, nor is the customer nor the consumer, therefore meaning less hours this end for same pay. Should it really actually happen (wage rises big style) then the trolley companies are going to be first cause they can easily absorb the wage increases.

The place I’m working at the mo is gearing up for it by increasing the basic hourly (just gone up to 6.83 for 48 :unamused: ) but keeping the o/t the same (8.40 :unamused: ) but will steadily keep increasing the basic to eventually match the current o/t rate [YES TONY IT’S MOP & BUCKET MONEY :laughing: ]. However by my calculations that doesn’t equate to the same weekly amount. I mean, 60hrs at the current rates comes out at 428.64 but 48hrs at 8.40 is only 403.20. To get the same basic then the hourly rate would have to increase to nearly 9/hr and that realistically isn’t going to happen imo.

I have to say I do enjoy my nights out through the week as I often end up in a pub and get chatting with some new interesting folks and have made many new friends on the way. Also it cuts down on my heating and leccy bills at home too. I don’t mind early starts if I’m already at work (ie. from a night-out) but finishing at 8pm and needed to be back in the yard for 5am next morning really cheeses me off. I also enjoy tinkering with my own motor, keeping it clean and tidy and having a few bolt-on toys here and there and all that will go when the WTD kicks in.

As has been said before, trucking is a life-style to many of us, not a job… and that’s the difference between most of us and our mate Tony.

your right rob the company nor the consumer will fit the extra pay rise.because there won’t be one.this wtd is only going to help one person and that’s your bosses.because it will be less monies that he has to pay out and if you ask him for a rise all he will say is go contact the dss and get more family tax credit etc. so the goverment will end up paying the pay rise.knowing this country and the people that run it,also the people that run this industry, i don’t think i’ll hold my breath waiting on the wtd.

You’re missing the point…it’s all about supply and demand. If the demand is higher than the supply, the price goes up.

They’ll still have customers wanting stuff moving and they’re not likely to want to upset customers by saying they can’t do it.
They’re going to need drivers to do it.
There’s going to be very few drivers who aren’t working already with a 50,000 shortfall already.
They’ll end up poaching drivers and the only way to do that is to offer more money.

My company pays everyone the same wagerise from warehouse to managment. Next year they’ve already stated they’re going to provide a seperate and far higher wage deal for the drivers otherwise they’ll have non.

Don’t believe me? Take a look at agency rates around Northampton/Crick and how much they’ve risen over the last 2 years. I know in Hull, agency rates have gone up 30% in a couple of years simply because there’s plenty of work but no drivers available.

The only reason it’ll not go up is solely going to be due to people such as those posting in here who are basically too stupid to see that their licence is actually worth something and that they’re the ones with the upper hand. I find it completely incomprehensible that drivers are still talking as if they’re going to be on the same wages.

Oh and BTW Kitkat, the digital tachos which aren’t going to be ready, have NOTHING to do with the WTD being implemented and those bosses with the “if you want a raise the door is there” will find a stream of drivers going out, non coming in and a fleet of wagons parked up unless he pays £20 an hour to a driver agency.

Yeah but we’ve heard all that before Conor, no disrespect. But in the REAL world iirc the country “is already tens of thousands of wagon drivers short” but they’re managing perfectly well at the moment aren’t they ■■? Can’t be that bad if they’ve only put the money up a quid or so. Last time I belled up agencies in the areas you’re referring to they were offering about a quid more than what I can get here in Yorks so that doesn’t indicate that they’re 10000+ drivers short does it. Like has been drilled in before, this isn’t a bloody driver shortage, it’s just that Northampton, Swindon, Rugby etc are full of Tony’s and Critic’s who won’t work for burger tossing money.

Sorry, but I’ll believe these mass wage rises when I see them and I’ll have a tenner with you now (and you Tony) that the average agency rate for class 1’s in Leeds doesn’t go up more than a quid an hour on days (average is currently £7).

Excellent posts on this thread!!! enjoyed reading them,

I am not a betting man but come March 2005 it will be £10 p/h trust me lads… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

relish with that■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey Tony…

I hadn’t heard that McD’s were putting the wages up that much…now where did I put that application form :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jules