Wonder if its worth anything

I just found my first HGV Licence from 19/3/1970 to the 18/3/1973 when we first had to have a special licence for driving trucks.

gus:
I just found my first HGV Licence from 19/3/1970 to the 18/3/1973 when we first had to have a special licence for driving trucks.

I got mine from 24/9/ 70 to23/9/73 ,had been driving rigids but the boss put me thro. a weeks school to get my class 1. I was driving for william nuttall & sons at swinton m/c.at the time
regards dafdave.

I had been driving artics and wagon and trailot combi of Leyland Octopus and Trailor BRS and Basset Roadways Tittensor

the old man jumped in one from scratch,no test, then complained it was limited to 75,yes 75 by the gearing.

them was the days?

I dont know where mine are, I use to carry them when I worked at Norman Lewis, it was a bit of a talking point for them Europeans with a piece of plastic :stuck_out_tongue:

I always felt like a proper driver with a proper HGV licence

i know where my brown book licencse is, well was, its probably burned years ago, they took it off me in 1983/4 and i never got it back, just a paper one!

Mal:
i know where my brown book licencse is, well was, its probably burned years ago, they took it off me in 1983/4 and i never got it back, just a paper one!

Mine went the same way Mal. Was I annoyed or what when that bit of paper arrived, instead of the brown book with another sticker in it. That was a proper Truck Drivers licence, the red book was a bit before my time.

simon, your right mate! its a conspiracy! :smiley:

dragged an oldie up but was having a browse ,

so thought i would post the pictures of the said “proper” HGV Licence No longer my address or anything so not bothered editing it.

I’ve still got all mine. I never had a test on anything, got mine automatically when they were introduced.
I’ve also got a blue paper licence, “All Types” PSV. Hardly ever used it it, bus driving was not for me but I was offered the chance so I took it, I reasoned it might come in handy one day if I was stuck for a job.

Can’t find my brown one but have still got my ‘black’ HGV licence dated from 3 May 1974 to 9 Sep 1974. Were the black ones a temporary issue as it’s only valid for 4 months?

Ah! Just noticed on the inside page it states “Exchange Heavy Goods Vehicle Driver’s Licence”

Here’s mine…address doesn’t apply now.

Chris Webb:

Thats a forgery as its signed and I know you sign with a X Mr. Webb. So thats where you did a “runner” to eh! the IOM.outside the juristriction of the south Yorks Constabulary. P.C. 491/2 nick nick!!!

we’ve not seen any sign of harry or norman’s licences yet , but i suppose it would be tricky to scan a tablet of stone , anon

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Thats a forgery as its signed and I know you sign with a X Mr. Webb. So thats where you did a “runner” to eh! the IOM.outside the juristriction of the south Yorks Constabulary. P.C. 491/2 nick nick!!!

I might have known you’d have summat to say. :laughing:
I’d had that licence five years before I first set foot on t’IOM - 1975,and that was for a holiday and to find a good bank to stash me dodgy money in.

funny that about the black and brown licences…when i passed in 81 (brown),the old boys had black licences …the office bldy phoned up to check my licence was real …lol. :open_mouth:

Think that might answer the old question about needing a class 1 licence at the time for driving solo artic tractor units.The key words and interpretation used then by the law to decide which class was which were ‘Designed and constructed’ to be used as not being used as :question: .

Did anybody ever have a class 4? I think the only lorries that would apply to were the little D series and Scammell trikes that the railways used to use :question:

newmercman:
Did anybody ever have a class 4? I think the only lorries that would apply to were the little D series and Scammell trikes that the railways used to use :question:

Chris probably had one of them as-well and a dog licence but no tele licence! what d’yu need one of them for? no-body else had one in Sheffield so why should I “break ranks”!! Anon.

Bewick:

newmercman:

Chris probably had one of them as-well and a dog licence but no tele licence! what d’yu need one of them for? no-body else had one in Sheffield so why should I “break ranks”!! Anon.

:smiley:
Right,that’s it,I’m off for a meal and a pint 'cos it’s me birthday today,but don’t bother with a present Dennis,unless thas got a spare bottle of malt to put on the ferry for me tonight.
And I’ve always had a tele licence,but didn’t need a Class 4 and never had a dog,always wanting tekking out,just like a woman. :grimacing: