Why have RDC`s and factories not got done yet?

How do they get away with silly signs in above places,that say,“No drivers to use toilets”,and “No drivers allowed through this door”.“No drivers allowed in staff canteen”.There was an urban myth,spurred on from the diesel fumes talk at truckstops,of a driver that got refused use of a loo at a large RDC,he dumped his load on the pristine grass lawns opposite the managments head office,to the horror of onlookers.He did get a life time ban,apparently.Saying that i used to take a shower from the water sprinkler system at a Ford factory in Azumbuja,until the green keeper turned the water off,halfway through,with shampoo and soap left on me.Was 100 degrees down there.

My general reply when they say no is ‘if you want the container off the wagon then I use THAT toilet first’
never been refused yet,mind you we dont do much RDC work.
Simon :sunglasses:

If they did allow drivers to eat in their subsidised canteen,it was bloody handy,as then dont have to stop later after tipping,and save some cash too.Wilkinsons up north way,did craking breakfasts,and no snotty looks from staff.Nothing worse than driving on emty stomache,and skipping meals plays havoc on the metabolic system,and blood sugars crash,thus the cravings for chocolate in the afternoon peak and slumps. :arrow_right:

Wont be long before they have one at the main gate :laughing: :laughing:

Security do ask a lot of questions at the front gate,i say to them i charge for interviews.One day they will want blood group,like A positive,what religion,do you ■■■■ on sundays,are you married,do you have a PADI licence,are you wanted by interpol,CIA,FBI,TV licensing,CSA,DWP,HMC&E,where were you last week,do you have a licence for driving left hand drive trucks,what tv channel do you watch,did you marry your cousin.

I was at a company (none RDC), yesterday in Southam and asked to use the loo,
His reply was " no you are not allowed to, you will just have to go behind the skip thats where everybody else goes"

My reply of " OK is there andrex hanging up round the back of the skip" did make his face fall still wouldn’t let me use loo’s though.

toby1234abc:
How do they get away with silly signs in above places,that say,“No drivers to use toilets”,and “No drivers allowed through this door”.“No drivers allowed in staff canteen”.There was an urban myth,spurred on from the diesel fumes talk at truckstops,of a driver that got refused use of a loo at a large RDC,he dumped his load on the pristine grass lawns opposite the managments head office,to the horror of onlookers.He did get a life time ban,apparently.Saying that i used to take a shower from the water sprinkler system at a Ford factory in Azumbuja,until the green keeper turned the water off,halfway through,with shampoo and soap left on me.Was 100 degrees down there.

the reason your not allowed in there is cos you don’t work for them your the delivery driver there insurance will only cover you to be in allocated places there will have a limited liability for the area you are as a visitor and that it

or and there is one thing by law there have to provide toilets facility to visitors

If a driver goes to an RDC and is refused use of the facility. Would the fork lift maintenance guy be allowed the use of the same facility? How about the pest control engineer or heating oil tanker driver

How about accessible toilets? do they offer them to you?

Not all disabled people want to announce the fact out loud, not all disabilities are visible but maybe you just need to fasten on your prosthetic limb, empty your colostomy bag or simply have a ■■■■.

I started my new job yesterday doing the gatehouse in Asda RDC in Larne and i treat the drivers like royalty!! If anything i treat them better than anybody else cos i envy their jobs so much!! I wouldnt refuse them to use the loo or restrict access to anywhere, Ive even been getting them through to be tipped regardless of how many hours early they are! A lot of the drivers have said its the quickest they’ve ever been through our place! Oh and getting back to the post, we havnt got any signs restricting drivers, they are actually really well accomodated for!

3663 at newbridge allows drivers access to toilets and your invitied to use their canteen at the same prices as their own staff pay.Probably cause they take a long time to tip you. :laughing:

Chris_NI:
I started my new job yesterday doing the gatehouse in Asda RDC in Larne and i treat the drivers like royalty!! If anything i treat them better than anybody else cos i envy their jobs so much!! I wouldnt refuse them to use the loo or restrict access to anywhere, Ive even been getting them through to be tipped regardless of how many hours early they are! A lot of the drivers have said its the quickest they’ve ever been through our place! Oh and getting back to the post, we havnt got any signs restricting drivers, they are actually really well accomodated for!

I’m sure your place is a good place Chris, but ASDA is one of the few places that had a sign up (Lutterworth,Wigan) that read along the lines of …visiting drivers are not permitted to use the canteen facilities unless they have been waiting for more than four and a half hours and have contacted a supervisor/shift manager. Some of the others are equally as bad they just don’t have signs up to advertise the fact ! :smiley:

As I understand it, a visiting driver is allowed by law to use any facility available to staff, including toilet, shower, canteen etc.

Mike-C:

Chris_NI:

I’m sure your place is a good place Chris, but ASDA is one of the few places that had a sign up (Lutterworth,Wigan) that read along the lines of …visiting drivers are not permitted to use the canteen facilities unless they have been waiting for more than four and a half hours and have contacted a supervisor/shift manager. Some of the others are equally as bad they just don’t have signs up to advertise the fact ! :smiley:

That sign has gone now Mike, the one you referred to was at the Asda IDC at Lutterworth. They even let you sit in your cabs whilst they are tipping you aswell, mind you they still insist on having your keys.

Though I had a barny with the guy at Sainsbury’s, Hoddesdon, last night. They have the “new” system the same as they have at Waltham Point, and because they hadn’t put the chain down the tube so I could attach them to it I put MY keys in MY pocket and went and sat in the waiting room. The guy in the office came out a bit later and said “bay 44?” so I answered, he said “you havent given them your keys” so I told him that no I hadnt due to the chain not being in the tube, so he asked me for them, I then thought I’d play silly sods and asked him for his house keys. He looked at me puzzled and said that I couldnt have his keys, so I told him he couldnt have mine then, when he asked me why I told him out right that for 5 days a week that my truck is my home and unless he was willing to swap his keys for mine he wasnt having them. Funny that, I was tipped and rolling 90 minutes later and even had a laugh with him when he gave me my paperwork because there was virtually a ream of paper.

Harry Monk:
As I understand it, a visiting driver is allowed by law to use any facility available to staff, including toilet, shower, canteen etc.

Pity you never went to ASDA then, you could of put them right. Tescos @ Middlewich did(do) not allow visiting driver to use their canteen but as they used so many agency drivers themselves who could use the canteen they could never tell who was who. Stobarts @Crick started charging different canteen prices for their own staff and contractors/agency staff, they done this on the basis of who was wearing the uniform. Quite a few of our regular customers will not allow you to use their own facilities instead they provide a portaloo facility

Harry Monk:

i agree harry monk , i turned around and said fine ill just empty my collastomy bag here on the counter shall i .for you to go through shall i , and quoated some crap number and false regulations to them , heypresto i using their lovely toilets lol. but never had food at a rdc when i was on general work .

no doing fuel had some knob head security guard at a refinary down south on thames tell me cant use his loo qouted him aswell and asked if it was gold or silver loo , write bell end he was , i used it eventually ,winds me up …

There are a few people who know me for doing this but a number off years ago sitting in a queue for Batleys or Bookers ( it began with a B) i asked to use the toilets and was refused and told to hang on. Pointing out the fact i had hung on for over an hour in his poxy queue surely it wouldn’t hurt to let me in the bogs. I was then told to go outside if i needed a ■■■■ and to do it up the trl wheels. At this point i became rather annoyed and pointed out that what i required was a back end tip and if i wasn’t allowed in i would use his lovely yard skip :smiley: . Well too cut a long story short i ended up sat in his skip with my trousers around my ankles letting a steamer go. Well calls were made to all concerned and threats were made along the lines off well we are phoning your boss to have you sacked. Fine go ahead call is made boss asks to speak to me talks to me then asks to be put back on to the manager. He then tells the manager that the next time HIS SON asks to go to the toilet let him and don’t ever threaten him with his job again because that is his decision. Yes i have done it and take great pride in doing so. Anytime i am refused entry for the toilet i go back to the cab get the bog roll out and proceed to make it clear what i am about to do.

It would be nice to know what the law is on this as i was Refused the other day, I was always led to believe what Harry said.

Come on Truck and Driver 100% for drivers, give us a clue.