Are drivers treated well at RDCs?

Saw this story and thought of some of the RDC stories i have read on here before, so thought it might be of interest to some of you :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: :smiley:

http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2009/09/02/134518/are-drivers-treated-well-at-rdcs.html

cheers.

Dam it,how did you get in my house and take a photo of my toilet.I dont use Domestos.!! :unamused:
It is the high fibre “All Bran” diet. :laughing:

I would like a link to the relevant laws or regulations on the info that the article contains because without those then it is just hot air

Just e-mailed the guy who wrote this story and asked if he will supply me with the relevant legislation, so we can quote it when we need to, without fear of being laughed at. As soon as i get a reply i will post the link for all to see. :smiley:

Have a look here also

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf

This booklet explains what should be provided under Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding welfare facilities for drivers.

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, which set down the legal requirements for facilities to eat meals, washing facilities, toilets etc., only apply to the workplace itself:

Regulation 2(1) - Interpretation:

“Workplace” means, subject to paragraph (2), any premises or part of premises which are not domestic premises and are made available to any person as a place of work, and includes -

(a) any place within the premises to which such person has access while at work; and

(b) any room, lobby, corridor, staircase, road or other place used as a means of access to or egress from that place of work or where facilities are provided for use in connection with the place of work other than a public road;

but shall not include a modification, an extension or a conversion of any of the above until such modification, extension or conversion is completed.

Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences, states:

(1) Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless -

(a) the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;

(b) they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

(c) separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.

Regulation 21 is concerned with washing facilities and states:

Regulation 21 Washing Facilities

(1) suitable and sufficient washing facilities, including showers if required by the nature of the work or for health reasons, shall be provided at readily accessible places.

(2) without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), washing facilities shall not be suitable unless -

(a) they are provided in the immediate vicinity of every sanitary convenience, whether or not provided elsewhere as well;

(b) they are provided in the vicinity of any changing rooms required by these regulations, whether or not provided elsewhere as well;

(c) they include a supply of clean hot and cold, or warm, water (which shall be running water so far as is practicable);

(d) they include soap or other suitable means of cleaning;

(e) they include towels or other suitable means of drying;

(f) the rooms containing them are sufficiently ventilated and lit;

(g) they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

(h) separate facilities are provided for men and women, except where and so far as they are provided in a room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside and the facilities in each such room are intended to be used by only one person at a time.

The Approved code of practice goes on to give minimum numbers of facilities:

(The number of people at work shown in column 1 refers to the maximum number likely to be in the workplace at any one time)

Number of toilets and washbasins for mixed use (or women only):

Number of people at work Number of toilets Number of washbasins
1 - 5 1 1
6 - 25 2 2
26 - 50 3 3
51 - 75 4 4
76 - 100 5 5

Toilets used by men only:

Number of men at work Number of toilets Number of urinals
1 - 15 1 1
16 - 30 2 1
31 - 45 2 2
46 - 60 3 2
61 - 75 3 3
76 - 90 4 3
91 - 100 4 4

An additional water closet, and one additional washing station, should be provided for every 25 people above 100 (or fraction of 25). In the case of water closets used only by men, an additional water closet for every 50 men (or fraction of 50) above 100 is sufficient provided at least an equal number of additional urinals are provided.

Where facilities provided for workers are also used by members of the public the number of conveniences and washing stations specified above should be increased as necessary to ensure that workers can use the facilities without undue delay.

Reference: L24, Workplace Health, Safety and Welfare Regulations 1992: Approved Code of Practice, ISBN 0717604135, priced at £5.75.

There is also a free publication available, INDG 293, Welfare at work, that contains guidance for employers on welfare provisions.

In relation to when you are actually driving the vehicle, the legislation that would apply is Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974. This places general duties upon employers to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all employees at work. Risk assessments are also legally required. This is a legal requirement under Regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. It states:

Every employer shall make a suitable and sufficient assessment of -

(a) the risks to the health and safety of his employees to which they are exposed whilst they are at work; and

(b) the risks to the health and safety of persons not in his employment arising out of or in connection with the conduct by him of his undertaking.

The Approved Code of Practice goes on to say:

This regulation requires all employers and self-employed people to assess the risks to workers and any others who may be affected by their work or business. This will enable them to identify the measures they need to take to comply with health and safety law. All employers should carry out a systematic general examination of the effect of their undertaking, their work activities and the condition of the premises. Those who employ five or more employees should record the significant findings of that risk assessment.

A risk assessment is carried out to identify the risks to health and safety to any person arising out of, or in connection with, work or the conduct of their undertaking. It should identify how the risks arise and how they impact on those affected. This information is needed to make decisions on how to manage those risks so that the decisions are made in an informed, rational and structured manner, and the action taken is proportionate.

A risk assessment should usually involve identifying the hazards present in any working environment or arising out of commercial activities and work activities, and evaluating the extent of the risks involved, taking into account existing precautions and their effectiveness. In this approved code of practice:

(a) a hazard is something with the potential to cause harm (this can include articles, substances, plant or machines, methods of work, the working environment and other aspects of work organisation);

(b) a risk is the likelihood of potential harm from that hazard being realised. The extent of the risk will depend on:

(i) the likelihood of that harm occurring;

(ii) the potential severity of that harm, i.e. of any resultant injury or adverse health effect; and

(iii) the population which might be affected by the hazard, i.e. the number of people who might be exposed.

Reference: L21: The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999: Approved Code of Practice and Guidance, ISBN 9780717624881, £8.00.

All of the publications referred to are available from HSE Books:

HSE Books

PO Box 1999,

Sudbury,

Suffolk, CO10 2WA.

Tel: 01787 881165

Fax: 01787 313995

This was an email received following an enquiry to the HSE by a user of another forum.

Finally, the RHA have produced a printable leaflet for drivers to take with them that outlines what should be provided.
rapidshare.com/files/266594646/V … s.doc.html