Why bs a tipper ffs?

commonrail:
i think id like a go at tippers muckaway,i quite like the idea of being home every night.whats it like,can you make a decent wage off it etc?

i also agree with what you said,a gleeming tipper looks silly to me :blush:

Typical start at 06.30. That’s tacho in, I check wagon for 5 or 10 mins then have a cuppa and leave just before 7. Potter about at 40ish much to the annoyance of the bonus chasers, go to some interesting places (see Smith and Sons on old time thread), have an hour for break plus odd teabreaks onsite and be back in pit for 3.30 to diesel up, wash body out if necessary and wait to load for morning, booking off at 4.30. I’m happy with what I take home but then I cycle to work. :sunglasses: Firm also has a 90%+ mot pass rate so vosa not a worry…

I agree with what you are saying, the trucks there to work! But, you do get some drivers that take the ■■■■, I got in one of our skip wagons the other day and I think the skip was actually cleaner than the inside of the truck. This truck is an 07 the driver had it from one of those drivers who likes to polish everything, it was pristine when he got it, now the Y plate looks better than the 07!

Muckaway:

commonrail:
i think id like a go at tippers muckaway,i quite like the idea of being home every night.whats it like,can you make a decent wage off it etc?

Typical start at 06.30. That’s tacho in, I check wagon for 5 or 10 mins then have a cuppa and leave just before 7. Potter about at 40ish much to the annoyance of the bonus chasers, go to some interesting places (see Smith and Sons on old time thread), have an hour for break plus odd teabreaks onsite and be back in pit for 3.30 to diesel up, wash body out if necessary and wait to load for morning, booking off at 4.30. I’m happy with what I take home but then I cycle to work. :sunglasses: Firm also has a 90%+ mot pass rate so vosa not a worry…

What about the running over lawns and swearing at busy bodies!

Fileep:
I agree with what you are saying, the trucks there to work! But, you do get some drivers that take the ■■■■, I got in one of our skip wagons the other day and I think the skip was actually cleaner than the inside of the truck. This truck is an 07 the driver had it from one of those drivers who likes to polish everything, it was pristine when he got it, now the Y plate looks better than the 07!

Yeah that annoys me, like I’ve just spoken to Dad and he said that the firms’ maddest driver had mine yesterday 'cos he damaged his AGAIN. Cleaning-wise, I wipe the dash/interior over with a rag and use an oily rag over the cab doors to get the grime off. I’ll happily do daily maintenance etc but cleaning during breaks and before/after work they can go screw themselves.

Muckaway:

commonrail:

yeah, i like the sound of that

bubsy06:

Muckaway:

commonrail:

When on POA (P?++s Off Anybody) :laughing:

Muckaway:

bubsy06:

Muckaway:

commonrail:

nothing wrong in keeping your truck looking smart tipper or not

sammy dog:

Muckaway:

bubsy06:

Muckaway:

commonrail:

nothing wrong in keeping your truck looking smart tipper or not

But buying stuff like spotlights that’ll get whacked on tree branches? The tippers usually a target for grumpy excavator drivers, especially when you raise the body to show you’ve got a weigher.Cue lots of spillage down the sides :laughing:

its everybodys choice to do want they want and how to spend thier money so if they decide on spotlamps etc its thier choice does nt or should nt effect anybody else .

I must admit I’m halfway between the two I do landfill work and clean inside and out every couple of weeks and just wipe over the inside every day just to keep the dust down. But it isn’t worth going mad as you can open the door at the tip and it looks like it hasn’t been touched.

sammy dog:
its everybodys choice to do want they want and how to spend thier money so if they decide on spotlamps etc its thier choice does nt or should nt effect anybody else .

True, but I shaln’t stay on after hours putting it back in the condition they left it. I’ve noticed around here, the ones who waste their wages on their wagons are the first to rush about for bonus and complain about low wages :laughing: I’ve heard drivers say “if you buy stuff/polish it you’ll get a new one”. In that case I shaln’t wash mine again as our new motors are crap :laughing:

Muckaway:

sammy dog:

True, but I shaln’t stay on after hours putting it back in the condition they left it. I’ve noticed around here, the ones who waste their wages on their wagons are the first to rush about for bonus and complain about low wages :laughing: I’ve heard drivers say “if you buy stuff/polish it you’ll get a new one”. In that case I shaln’t wash mine again as our new motors are crap :laughing:

my truck is pretty clean shiny wheels etc etc but all done by the boss,i know of at least two lads who have spent upwards of £10,000 out of there own pocket,most of you will say thats crazy and you maybe right but its up to them whether they spend the money or not,go to peterboro this weekend and you will see how much money drivers spend on there trucks you would be amazed

As youve proberley seen my tipper is no oil painting i do try and keep the inside as clean as possible as im away 4 nights a week in it the outside is as clean as i can get it.
But it is only as clean as the steam cleaner gets it it works hard and it earns me as much as my mates who was still in the yard cleaning his when i left at 8pm :open_mouth:

Fair play to anyone who wants to keep their lorries clean, I’m sure some of them lads could present their lorries for MOT without steaming them off. What’s to say drivers aren’t reimbursed for kit they by for the lorries they drive.

Some lads I know will be at Peterborough this weekend & they love it. They will also be taking lorries to many other shows throughout the year providing days out for thousands of people who enjoy going to see the trucks. Fair play to them I say.

BB

I’ve often thought of showing mine in working condition, got the idea from the steam enthusiasts who go to preserved railways when the engines haven’t been cleaned for a week or so. A steam loco (like a tipper) looks more natural with a coating of dirt (they’re both sods to clean compared to other things) :laughing:

There is a number of replies to this…

1. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion… :neutral_face:

2. Each to their own… :smiley:

3. Empty vessels make the most noise… :wink:

A clean wagon looks soo much better on the road, tipper, dustcart or reefer. If the driver likes to keep it smart, fair play to him I say :smiley:

When I get enough time to waste in between starting and finishing work I might consider it and only if the gaffer pays for materials. When I was younger I used to clean a motor when I got my hands on it but funnily enough I never seemed to keep them long after that so I gave that up!

Muckaway:
I used to work with one who’d come down to the yard each day of his holiday to check his lorry was parked up :unamused:

Top man!! I’m reluctant to go to the yard when I’m not on holiday!

Piston broke:
A clean wagon looks soo much better on the road, tipper, dustcart or reefer.

A reefer should be, it’s carrying food. When my wagon was new they’d not put air horns and sunvisor on like the others, but former workshop manager was kind enough to say “if you buy it we’ll fit it!” At least the Fodens my Uncle and Dad had new stand out from the others-they didn’t pay for BS either :laughing:

Roger Breaker:

Muckaway:
I used to work with one who’d come down to the yard each day of his holiday to check his lorry was parked up :unamused:

Top man!! I’m reluctant to go to the yard when I’m not on holiday!

Not to mention those who get to the yard at 5.30, wash lorry and travel to pit to get loaded all before 6.30 when they start getting paid. Some pass me whilst I’m cycling in and I still get there on time.