Whos in a Union?

Sorry to be boring on the subject of Unions etc…i don’t want a debate about if there good, bad or indifferent but being new to Transport i need some advice. Basically i’m concerned that if i have a bump in a truck or do something wrong in my job that i could be sacked ,as a new starter i automatically get a final written warning you see. I was wondering if its worth joining to recieve representation if i ever need it ? as any of you found it worthwhile when it mattered ? ie saved you from the SACK! I’m thinking of joining TGWU/Unite anyway, cheers if you can advise. :sunglasses:

URTU
Used my rep in the past for minor work issues - never had to insist on the rep being there (until now :exclamation: ) - advice on law was enough.

I’ll let you know very soon how good they are in dealing with unfair dismissal :wink: - still ongoing so unable to put in public domain yet.

Generally, I’ve found the union very helpful and they have a free legal helpline for all non employment issues - used that in the past - very good :smiley: :smiley:

Got to agree with Rog, re the advice and representation a union can give.

However I would tend to stick with the bigger union TGWU / Unite as opposed to URTU.

I worked at a place about 2 years ago and watched one of the members basically get shafted by his company, because the union rep who was URTU, didnt have the guts god gave him when he was born. And at the time I remember thinking, thank god I wasn’t a member of that lot.

URTU are an upcoming union, however TGWU now that they have almalgamated with AMICUS to become UNITE are the biggest in the UK I believe.

As a closer, I have been a member since 1981 and seen quite a few changes, not all for the better, especially Mr Woodley being at the top table… :cry:

I belong to Verdi one the german unions
and have had no problem when i
needed there help

yes been in the union since about 1982 tgwu as we used to deliver to the coal board
only had to use it once though and very good they were too so i just keep on paying my standing order every month

I used to be a shop steward for T.G.W.U. Found them very good. Still a member. Would recomend. :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the replys :wink:

Yeah I’m with the TGWU too.

Was in one for a year once a complete waste of money .

I use Prospect myself, fingers crossed I haven’t needed to use them yet, however if our pay negotiations are anything to go by, I’m not filled with hope!! :open_mouth:

I was with Unison for a while in my last job, we went through a change of contract enforced by the employer, we had Unison main players involved and to be honest a chocolate fire guard would have been more use, when we finally managed to get a meeting with the area guys, after 12 months of asking, we sat round table and cos he did,nt like what he was hearing he put his coat on and totally blanked us, alot of guys lost out cos of unisons lack of balls.

5 of us stuck to our guns and got private advise and ended up that the employer had to buy us out of our contracts, severence pay, 3 months earnings hol pay ect,

anyway point is don,t always beliecve what the union says, try and get private advise as well, we found out later that an under the table agreement had ben made between the employer and the union rep which is why the head blokes did,nt want to get involved. the rep is now in management?

OnlyMe2:
Yeah I’m with the TGWU too.

Only Me

How did you get on with your ProNav ?
Is it as good as it claims.

I was with the TGWU till i had a real problem,
then left because i realised they had no powers to help me. :unamused:

especially Mr Woodley being at the top table…

got to agree, i campaigned for him and now I am ashamed that i did.

Macca Pacca

It’s OK I suppose, lol, as someone said before it does take a while to find the address you want but I can only put this down to it having to avoid bridges and weights etc - obviously this would take longer to work out. To test it I got a store I hadn’t done before so I took one of the maps with me and plugged the ProNav in, it did take me the sameway! YIPEE. Then I tried it for another store and it tried to take me a different way, which I don’t suppose would have been a problem but we have to go into stores a certain way. I’ve got it really for if I get sent somewhere I haven’t been or if a road gets closed.
Another good thing is, when I put the post code in it took me directly to it whereas with my other Sat Nav it would try to take you to the centre of the postcode because the stores were not registered on it.
TBH tho I’ve not really tried it again just yet as we do get regular stores so when I get anothernew one i’ll have a go. :smiley:

Tony Woodley was recently on the politics show getting interviewed…be backed Gordon Brown and said he was doing the right thing, including fuel tax

i wouldnt waste my money on a union. what good would they be for me? same as the FTA and RHA. its far less hassle to tell them to stick it up their

and cheaper

scanny77:
i wouldnt waste my money on a union. what good would they be for me? same as the FTA and RHA. its far less hassle to tell them to stick it up their

and cheaper

Blimey - scanny77 is still alive :exclamation: - where you been for the past few months :question: :question: - on second thoughts, don’t answer that til you consult with a lawyer :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

causing trouble as usual :laughing:

I was in the TGWU even as an owner/driver untill Bill Morris agreed with this government that it was O.K to fine Truck Drivers for their uninvited passengers.
I decided then that that Union was past its sell by date.
I do agree that you need some representation if your an employed driver so maybe join the URTU.

I was facing a disciplinary a few weeks ago, and the boss told me that it would be on Tuesday morning and that he had notified the shop steward (USDAW) of the time and place and offence.
I relpied that i was not a member of USDAW (useless seven days a week ) but would get in touch with the TGWU and request their regional organiser to attend.
was informed following morning that “owing to the circumstances nothing would be achieved by disciplining me” and so the hearing was to be cancelled

you pay your money and take your choice.