Trade unions

Fellow drivers,

I’m wondering about joining a union, I have details for URTU and UNITE and they seem to promise quite a bit for my monthly direct debit. URTU seems all for the driver and training. UNITE always seem to be in the news and on the front foot.

Is it worth joining a union? And if it is which one? I think these two are the only two that represent drivers?

I am a tramper working out of Felixstowe for a big company.

Would appreciate any help with this. :smiley:

I can’t comment on either union you have commented on, but I (and the rest of the ASDA network bar one depot) am with the GMB.

Our depot has only joined up fairly recently, but have worked wonders for me personally (so much so, I joined as a rep afterwards), and for the good of the depots. Our drivers now have a voice.

as long as you realise this isn’t the 80’s, we don’t strike at the drop of the hat (i’m anti-strike anyway), and unions can’t work miracles!!!

No point joining a union as a stand alone employee imho. If the company recognises one then crack on as you have some solidarity. Employment law has been eroded down to such a point that the boss is usually all sewn up and untouchable in whatever treatment he gives. As an employee of a company that doesn’t recognise unions, you’re pretty much ■■■■■■■ in the wind. I’d save the fee. Probably at least a fiver a week now too

OVLOV JAY:
No point joining a union as a stand alone employee imho. If the company recognises one then crack on as you have some solidarity. Employment law has been eroded down to such a point that the boss is usually all sewn up and untouchable in whatever treatment he gives. As an employee of a company that doesn’t recognise unions, you’re pretty much ■■■■■■■ in the wind. I’d save the fee. Probably at least a fiver a week now too

Yes good point, all of you or a vast majority of you need to be in the union together that way you will be stronger but as mentioned don’t expect miracles. I’m in unite by the way.

both the above posters make valid (if differing) points . i have been a member for most of my working life (unite) ,10yrs as a steward . as i now am semi retired (i work as/when,if it siuts me) i only pay retired members subs. i work for a v.small outfit and union isnt recognised. i retain my membership for the legal cover,it provides cover outside of work too. the most important thing to remember is ,the union isnt some faceless person in head office. it is you and your co-members ,and as said above the 80s are long gone.probably for the best in my opinion (i never had nor wanted a strike,no work no money) by all means join, just dont expect the revolution brother . :slight_smile:

URTU give great personal legal protection - I know from a number of times they helped and represented me as an individual in a company

If you want a union for national issues then forget it

I pay into a Union, as with most of my workmates. It is recognised by the employer, and so far we have received more financial reward than if we just plodded on without a union. so that’s the fees squared away.

As well as!

I also got a 4 figure sum of back dated pay the union had seen which nor myself or any other driver was aware of, that was in my bank on the 15th of Dec :smiley:

My Union seems to be working for me at least.

UTRU is the one in question.

Not really that clued up on unions. This guy from UNITE is quite full on and and they make all these promises but the company he works for are going down the pan by the sound of it and making loads of drivers redundant and people tell me the company is hamstrung by the union which has led to this, don’t know if thats true? I had a look at the website and they represent more than just transport.

URTU doesn’t seem to be so aggressive and they seem to be all about training and working with the company? I see the benefits but my company doesn’t recognise unions and wouldn’t want to put myself in an awkward position?

Due to legislation brought in by Maggie, the unions don’t have the power to bring a company to the table by industrial action. Also because of all the different unions involved with drivers URTU, Unite, Usdaw, GMB etc they don’t have the co-ordination to be an effective force. (Except Unite with the fuel tanker drivers)

It used to be the case that some unions paid speeding tickets.

Unions can not guarantee job protection, no more than I can, what they may do is get better terms if your company closes your depot, or make sure you get what your owed if it goes belly up.

Look at Unions as you would AA breakdown cover, pay the fees, but hope you don’t need to use their services, e.g. disciplinary/employment/legal matters. Some companies encourage unions as a buffer between themselves and the workers.

Some unions are better than others, but it’s normally the standard of union rep you vote to represent you that makes the difference.

I tried to be a rep, but wasn’t up to it! To be a rep you have to have a thick skin who can take it from management and your colleagues.

Work Shy:
Due to legislation brought in by Maggie, the unions don’t have the power to bring a company to the table by industrial action. Also because of all the different unions involved with drivers URTU, Unite, Usdaw, GMB etc they don’t have the co-ordination to be an effective force. (Except Unite with the fuel tanker drivers)

It used to be the case that some unions paid speeding tickets.

Unions can not guarantee job protection, no more than I can, what they may do is get better terms if your company closes your depot, or make sure you get what your owed if it goes belly up.

Look at Unions as you would AA breakdown cover, pay the fees, but hope you don’t need to use their services, e.g. disciplinary/employment/legal matters. Some companies encourage unions as a buffer between themselves and the workers.

Some unions are better than others, but it’s normally the standard of union rep you vote to represent you that makes the difference.

I tried to be a rep, but wasn’t up to it! To be a rep you have to have a thick skin who can take it from management and your colleagues.

True but reps need SUPPORT from members and union officers too if they are to be effective.

I am a member of Unite union and they have proved their worth. We were getting stitched up with the company telling us they couldnt afford a payrise for the year, yet every other airport was getting one. We joined the union and suddenly the company found the money. They also represented me when i was injured and the gaffer was trying to get me out without following the rules, and they helped me sue em for unfair dismissal, which i won, and it was due to the company saying there was other work i could do, all noted by union rep, then terminating my contract without allowing me to do the other work…As long as your company recognise a union, then imo, it is worth being in one. Those that don’t recognise a union, i often wonder what they have to hide, i.e bullying staff, threatening sackings if you don’t bend over and let em shag you

From drivers I speak to, the majority claim they are a waste of time.

manic-merc:

unite offer their driver care! Speeding and parking tickets paid and a lad off Manchester airport got done for drink driving! Three pints in the romper :open_mouth: got him his licence back and reinstated on his refuelling aircraft job to boot! :unamused: yes they can work for you, BUT it’s only as strong as the WEAKEST link! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

manic-merc:

A Union is only ever as good as the members, possibly the drivers you talk to.
I used to hear too many Union members saying “The Union should do this, the Union should do that.” They are actually the Union.

justtickingover:

manic-merc:

I used to hear too many Union members saying “The Union should do this, the Union should do that.” They are actually the Union.

Most of those members these days having been indoctrinated into the views of those who don’t agree with strike action.In addition to which are trade union laws which effectively stop any type of supportive indirect strike action.Therefore it’s more a case that the union can’t do anything even if it wanted to if/when push inevitably comes to shove at some point.Which is one of the reasons why the economy is zb’d with incomes lagging behind prices while there’s no way that any union now has sufficient power to get any settlement that the employers don’t agree with.

Carryfast:

justtickingover:

manic-merc:

Most of those members these days having been indoctrinated into the views of those who don’t agree with strike action.In addition to which are trade union laws which effectively stop any type of supportive indirect strike action.Therefore it’s more a case that the union can’t do anything even if it wanted to if/when push inevitably comes to shove at some point.Which is one of the reasons why the economy is zb’d with incomes lagging behind prices while there’s no way that any union now has sufficient power to get any settlement that the employers don’t agree with.

Very true. With the current economic climate most people are struggling enough as it is without losing money through industrial action so it’s a case of put up and shut up. I really feel for the young guys with families and mortgages, not much of a future to look forward to.

manic-merc:
Fellow drivers,

I’m wondering about joining a union, I have details for URTU and UNITE and they seem to promise quite a bit for my monthly direct debit. URTU seems all for the driver and training. UNITE always seem to be in the news and on the front foot.

Is it worth joining a union? And if it is which one? I think these two are the only two that represent drivers?

I am a tramper working out of Felixstowe for a big company.

Would appreciate any help with this. :smiley:

URTU has been a great help to me.
If there is a problem, you don’t stand alone

justtickingover:

Carryfast:

justtickingover:

manic-merc:

Very true. With the current economic climate most people are struggling enough as it is without losing money through industrial action so it’s a case of put up and shut up. I really feel for the young guys with families and mortgages, not much of a future to look forward to.

Or there’s another way of looking at it.Maybe many of the younger generations only have themselves to blame because they don’t seem to have the fight in them that the older generations had.Especially when compared to the situation of having strong trade union beliefs before WW2 and being prepared to fight for them,then being conscripted into a war and fighting in that and winning and then fighting with their own employers and government all over again and winning.At least up until the end of the 1970’s when it all went pear shaped as following generations lost that will to fight for themselves and each other.

About 18 months ago I got myself into a bit of a mess at work. Ended up with a final written warning; if I’d been sacked it would’ve been an injustice but it was a possibility.

Although I wasn’t a union member, our shop steward not only spoke up for me in the disciplinary meeting but also asked advice from the union’s solicitor on my behalf; without my having asked him to.

Even though my personal political leanings are not towards the Labour party, which the GMB bankrolls, I felt it a matter of honour that I joined, and so I did. It costs me £11.40 per month, taken directly out of my wages so I never see it. I consider it money well spent.

Unions are good for protecting the working man. It’s when they stray into the realms of trying to run the country by force that it all goes wrong.

Sidevalve:
About 18 months ago I got myself into a bit of a mess at work. Ended up with a final written warning; if I’d been sacked it would’ve been an injustice but it was a possibility.

Although I wasn’t a union member, our shop steward not only spoke up for me in the disciplinary meeting but also asked advice from the union’s solicitor on my behalf; without my having asked him to.

Even though my personal political leanings are not towards the Labour party, which the GMB bankrolls, I felt it a matter of honour that I joined, and so I did. It costs me £11.40 per month, taken directly out of my wages so I never see it. I consider it money well spent.

Unions are good for protecting the working man. It’s when they stray into the realms of trying to run the country by force that it all goes wrong.

So what happens in the case where the employers decide to make a fight of it by taking it to tribunal and win.Considering your final sentence.The fact is every single industrial dispute,involving strike action,especially indirect sympathy action,that there’s ever been,fits that description of ‘trying to run the country’.Unions ‘were’ good for protecting the working man because no one else will protect him especially the government wether it’s Labour or Tory but especially Tory and action against the employers is also,by definition,action,one way or another,directly or indirectly,against the government.Because it affects the country’s economic figures as a whole,which the government,not the employers,are responsible for.While also creating precedents in regards to future wage claims and terms and conditions for all workers throughout industry when the strikers win. :bulb: