Who is in a different trade or role now?

Just thought it might be interesting to see what everyone is doing that does not drive for one reason or another? Who has been forced in to a different career because of the current job situation? Who has moved on to transport management or driver training etc to further their career?
I know there are some HATOs on here, and someone also said that some people from VOSA and the police also frequent these forums.
Just thought this could be an interesting topic, apologies if its been covered before.

Went from a retail managerial role to banking then to driving full time and part time for around 8 years and now in IT doing corporate web hosting and SEO with another guy. :smiley:

Would I go back to driving for a living now? No.

Rob K:
Went from a retail managerial role to banking then to driving full time and part time for around 8 years and now in IT doing corporate web hosting and SEO with another guy. :smiley:

dont blame you in the current climate, or is web hosting etc just so much easier and enjoyable? Never worked in any sort of IT so wouldn’t know.

When I was looking for driving work I was looking at stacking shelves in morrisons on nights as the money was good and there was no (and still isn’t much) work about. At this point I’ll say hats off to those who have found work and keep cgoing to those putting in all the effort.

I’m currently training (home study) to become an IT engineer. In the mean time I am driving as a casual (still doing full time hours)

It has always been difficult down here but since the Credit crunch it is completely dead

zippy!:

Rob K:

dont blame you in the current climate, or is web hosting etc just so much easier and enjoyable? Never worked in any sort of IT so wouldn’t know.

When I was looking for driving work I was looking at stacking shelves in morrisons on nights as the money was good and there was no (and still isn’t much) work about. At this point I’ll say hats off to those who have found work and keep cgoing to those putting in all the effort.

With the exception of the installs it can all be controlled from my home PC :smiley: . Doddle of a job and some serious cash to be made if you’ve got good reliable kit. I’d say the only donwside to it is receiving support calls at silly hours of the night and morning when something’s packed up and if you can’t fix it remotely then you have to jump in your motor and go to the site to sort it out :frowning: .

Looks like I’m going to end up in a non driving job. Going for an interview for a job working for DWP at a nearby Jobcenter.

I gave up full time driving in January, now run a 90 acre suckler farm (early beef), work for a local agri contractor on a self employed basis as and when, do machinery maintainance for local farms. Still drive occasionally though.

Conor:
Looks like I’m going to end up in a non driving job. Going for an interview for a job working for DWP at a nearby Jobcenter.

That’s got to be the one place that is getting busier :exclamation:

I might be going to liberia in january or february to chop down some rubber plantations.

ROG:

Conor:

That’s got to be the one place that is getting busier :exclamation:

Absolutely not Rog, our local Jobcentre opens 2 days a week. I went in on Friday and other than the staff I was the only one in there :open_mouth:

Tiger.

I,m in a different role now.I am retired. I retired 9 years ago, after 50 years of hard graft, ( Railway Steam engine Fireman , 5 years in the Army,Shipyard Worker, then 31 years HGV Driving).Reading the posts on this site makes me say “thank zb I,m out of the rat-race”. I am not one of those OAP.s always moaning about being hard done by. I did what a lot of them did not do. I worked every minute that God sent, and in the last 20 years of my working life, I saved and invested hard.I will not even claim the free bus pass that I am entitled to.Young people need as much help as OAP,s in my view.Good Luck to all those who are still at it.(.ps. I was 1 of 10 children, born in the 1930,s during the Great Depression, my father was out of work, No-one can tell me anything about being hard-up, I have been there, Done it, and we had to boil the T-Shirt to make a meal). :wink: :wink:

Buycrider:
I,m in a different role now.I am retired. I retired 9 years ago, after 50 years of hard graft, ( Railway Steam engine Fireman , 5 years in the Army,Shipyard Worker, then 31 years HGV Driving).Reading the posts on this site makes me say “thank zb I,m out of the rat-race”. I am not one of those OAP.s always moaning about being hard done by. I did what a lot of them did not do. I worked every minute that God sent, and in the last 20 years of my working life, I saved and invested hard.I will not even claim the free bus pass that I am entitled to.Young people need as much help as OAP,s in my view.Good Luck to all those who are still at it.(.ps. I was 1 of 10 children, born in the 1930,s during the Great Depression, my father was out of work, No-one can tell me anything about being hard-up, I have been there, Done it, and we had to boil the T-Shirt to make a meal). :wink: :wink:

That is a well respectful career history. Especially when there are so many people who simply cant be bothered to work or milk the benefits system so that they dont have to. Glad you are enjoying retirement, there are so many people who work hard all their lives and dont make it to retirement. Hope you are making the most of the investments now!

Thanks for that Zippy.I don,t remember saying that I was enjoying my retirement.I miss my bloody waggon too much. :blush: :blush:

I might study to become an Official receiver. Job for life. :open_mouth:

Left driving on the 01/10/08 and am currently undergoing training/3 month probation period at a power station. Working continental shifts days and nights.

I hope it lasts because driving is not worth a toss these days and in two months I have not missed it a bit :sunglasses:

still driving, though this is topped up with farm work and door work on a Saturday,
buycrider claim your bus pass ect you,ve certainly worked for it,

I’ve gone back to being a copper :open_mouth:

things on the truck driving front came to an end a few months ago, have not driven a truck since september and have not had a call or any work from an agency since then,(strange though that they all seem to be advertising jobs on the job centre web site!) anyway i have been in west wales driving a minibus on a construction site just moving men and materials around site, this was for a massive company in the oil & gas industry, the pay was staggering, my weekly take home after deductions was £775 for a basic week, one week with o/t my take home was £1280, no wonder our energy bills are so high, although i have finished on that particular contract last week there is the possibilty of going to norway or even brazil in the new year with company, fingers crossed, on the other hand if that does not happen i have an interview coming up with dare i say it, coach driving for National Express, theres very little work about for truckers now.

Arthritis in my spine and neck ended my driving career at the age of 34. I run a small holding and soon to be caravan site now.

I got laid off in april this year am a taxi driver now and its ok loads of waiting round some days which i was use to anyway only trouble now is dont get paid whilst im sitting there.Sat nights can be very profitable youve just got to put up with knobs in your car.Fits round the kids and is probably the most flexible job going.Id love to go back lorry driving but enjoying seeing my kids growing up which i know is priceless